PDA

View Full Version : Hi From Derby

The_Lone_Gunman
13-12-2016, 13:43
Afternoon All

Finally decided to 'dive in', been reading this forum for a month or so.
Been listening for a very long time now, all started by my Dad when I was about 4 or 5 listening to the likes of The Beatles, Simon & Garfunkel, Dionne Warwick & many more (yes it was the late 60's).
Reared on a strong diet of Pink Floyd, Genesis & such like. Inherited, from my Dad, a Phillips valve based four track reel to reel in about 1971 & just started playing...Got my first real system at about 11years old (again Dad's cast-off), with an Garrard SP25, Amstrad 4040 Amp & home built Wharfdales and then I really got the bug! Traded all sorts of gear over the years, most of which I'd give my right arm for now!
A long time ago I ran a HiFi shop in Milton Keynes, absolutely loved it! Sold everything from Rotel/Technics through Linn, Meridian, Nytech/Ion Systems & eventually upto Oracle & Krell. Lucky enough to make quite a few friends including the Linx Audio guys who came over from New Zealand & their UK partners (see below!).
Built up a nice little system over a quite a few years through the 80's & in to the 90's, which sadly is currently 'in storage' (no space these days...).
Consisting of Pioneer PL12D with an AT headshell holding a Glanz MC10, with a Rotel Phono Stage (850 series I think..), a Denon DRM44HX & Nakamichi SP7 Headphones, feeding in to a custom (possibly 1 of perhaps 3 units in existence) Linx Audio Battery PSU Vega Pre-Amp, Linx Audio Sigma DAC fed from a Pioneer DVD player, hooked in to a custom Linx Audio Dual Mono Pulsar Power-Amp (again possibly 1 of only 3 in existence), finished off with a pair of rather stunning (well I think so anyway :)) AudioPlan Kontrapunkt's.
These days listen to most music in the car & sat at the computer, big iPod user :)
Music wise, still lots of Pink Floyd, Peter Gabriel, Vangelis, Dead Can Dance, Jazz, Classical & lots more electronic stuff.
I'll try to get some snaps of the kit later.....

Ta :eek:

Puffin
13-12-2016, 18:50
BANG! Nice opener.......time to re-load and take those pics. I started at age 11 with a record player and separate speaker that I wired into the players speaker....it sounded sooo...much better...Stereo of course :lol:

walpurgis
13-12-2016, 20:06
Hi Stephen. Welcome to AOS.

Tell us if you have any plans for your Hi-Fi system.

Take a look around the site, there's plenty of interesting stuff.

Feel free to join in the chat.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Bethelcat
13-12-2016, 21:56
Welcome! I'm nearby in Burton

struth
13-12-2016, 22:01
Welcome Stephen. Nice intro:)

The_Lone_Gunman
13-12-2016, 23:59
Cheers guys :)

The_Lone_Gunman
20-12-2016, 12:41
Well attached a couple of snaps of the stuff 'on the shelf' in computer room... aka Bat Cave -)

struth
20-12-2016, 13:15
Interesting stuff. Not seen it before.

Spectral Morn
20-12-2016, 13:54
Welcome to AoS :cool:

The Black Adder
20-12-2016, 17:54
Welcome to AOS, Stephen. :)