PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from New York City

joe9407
11-12-2016, 16:28
Hello all,

Joe from NYC here -- longtime lurker, first time poster.

I have a Naim-based system: LP12 with a Naim Aro and Radikal power supply. Like many on here, I use a Denon 103 cartridge, though it's an alloy-bodied one from Zu Audio. Phono stage is the Dyna P75. Rest of the rig is a Naim 282 preamp and 250 amp, various power supplies, and a Naim CD5 that gets no love these days due to my streaming setup of a Sonore microRendu and Chord 2Qute.

Musically, I'm all over the map. Love me some "Indy Rok", New Wave, old-school and alt country, jazz (Herbie Hancock, Jimmy Smith, and Ahmad Jamal are faves), and have been dabbling lately in what we ugly Americans would call "world music": Cambodian and Brazilian psych and whatever else I can dig up.

Here's a pic of my system:

http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm27/joe9407/IMG_5591_zpsfrr1qiwa.jpg

Roy S
11-12-2016, 16:34
Hey Joe ;) Great view

Macca
11-12-2016, 16:58
Hi Joe, welcome to the forum.

take5
11-12-2016, 17:13
Welcome Joe, your system looks great.

i love your broad taste in music. Ive only recently discovered the genius of Ahmad Jamal, so its nice to see another fan.

have you seen/heard this. I just love it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cytUz9KkK9M

I was over in your amazing city one month ago and just loved it. My wife had a long time dream of walking over the Brooklyn Bridge ( something to do with john travolta, sadly )
So we did, in the pouring rain.
I dont think that is your Bridge. which one is yours ?

SquireC
11-12-2016, 17:16
Hey Joe,

Welcome to the site.

Have they still got those small record stores selling vinyl on Bleeker Street?

Dave

joe9407
11-12-2016, 18:08
thanks, all!

the bridge in the background is the Williamsburg Bridge -- not as fun a walk as the Brooklyn Bridge, but it gets the job done.

there are still a few record shops on Bleecker, but they're a dying breed, unfortunately. many of the shops on St. Mark's in the East Village have closed, as did Other Music just north of Houston St. that said, there's a great shop called In Living Stereo on Great Jones Street, which stocks all manner of cool HiFi -- and they have a record annex, too! i'd highly recommend a visit when you're in NYC.

walpurgis
11-12-2016, 23:28
Hello Joe. Welcome from me too.

Tell us what future plans you may have for your Hi-Fi. We like to hear what people have in mind.

Please feel free to join in any chat that appeals to you.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

SquireC
12-12-2016, 11:02
thanks, all!

the bridge in the background is the Williamsburg Bridge -- not as fun a walk as the Brooklyn Bridge, but it gets the job done.

there are still a few record shops on Bleecker, but they're a dying breed, unfortunately. many of the shops on St. Mark's in the East Village have closed, as did Other Music just north of Houston St. that said, there's a great shop called In Living Stereo on Great Jones Street, which stocks all manner of cool HiFi -- and they have a record annex, too! i'd highly recommend a visit when you're in NYC.

Thanks Joe.

I had a great time browsing the shops on Bleecker the last time I was in NY. When I visit Chicago, Toronto, Vancouver, or Orlando, so many favourite stores have gone. Also thanks for the recommendation.

joe9407
26-12-2016, 23:55
Tell us what future plans you may have for your Hi-Fi. We like to hear what people have in mind.

hi Geoff, i've been on a HiFi spending orgy lately, so i'm going to have to chill on that front for a bit, lest my wife kill me ...but of course, i have a few things in mind! i figure i may not be getting the best out of my DL-103, so am planning on getting an Auditorium 23 SUT at some point. i will say, however, that the Dyna P75 is a great little phono stage. i found it to be a much more engaging listen that my previous Naim Stagelines.

i may also get a Supercap to replace the 2 Hicap power supplies (one's on my preamp, the other's on my CD player) i'm currently using. but then again, maybe not: Les at Avondale Audio is sending me some replacement capacitors for the Hicaps (Naim recommend "recapping" these components every 10 or so years and mine are due) so this might compel me to keep them 'round for a while.

oh, and i will surely get a Woodsong Audio plinth for the LP12 in due course -- in a nice ebony, i think. they are some real eye candy and well worth a look on the Woodsong Audio website. he also does plinths for Garrard 301/401 and the Thorens 124.