PDA

View Full Version : Headphone Upgrade

webby
14-12-2009, 00:06
Hi,

I have a set of Grado SR80's, the older ones; I believe they've been revamped as the SR80i's now.

These are an expensive set of cans for me, but I understand they're in the budget price range for audiophile headphones. I'm now intrigued about what quality I could expect from taking the next step, either to the next price level, say Sennheiser HD600's or keep the SR80's and get a headphone amp.

Will an amp make a difference to these? Is the amp in the Caiman on a par with dedicated headphone amps?

What other headphones should I consider. If there's anything I don't like about the Grado's it's that they're a little bit harsh and uncomfortable (although I might get the SR80i pads to put onto my SR80's). I'd like a bit more warmth.

Thanks.

Rare Bird
14-12-2009, 00:16
Hi Lee
Don't be fooled by expensive headphone ranges, i forget how many times i've fallen for it.I have AKG '701' & i have to say i find a lot of cheaper sets me listernable same goes for the big senns which are very ugly IMHO aswell. I listern to a cheap pair of Senn HD497 a lot more than the AKG '701's..I'd be well happy to flog em but the wifey bought me these as an anniversary present! I can't get on with Grado they hurt my ears both sound & comfy wise, they look terribly dated aswell. I have to say the AKG 701 are the best constructed & finished phones i've ever seen.

Shanedudddy2
14-12-2009, 07:58
K701's are amazing with a really good amp imo, but if your not going to get one go with different cans

webby
15-12-2009, 22:49
Does anyone know what alternative earpads are available for the SR80's?

flatpopely
16-12-2009, 00:07
I run a Darkvoice Figaro valve headphone amp with my RS2s. I can strongly recommend getting a Figaro.

webby
16-12-2009, 14:06
I just ordered some Senny HD414 earpads which I've read fit the Grados nicely and at £10 delivered they're cheaper than the Grado pads.

webby
17-12-2009, 13:10
Arrived today. Ooh, much more comfortable! :)

webby
01-01-2010, 18:26
I've found that I can listen to the Grado's for much longer periods now with these new earpads. To be honest, before, I just wasn't using them cos they really hurt my right ear cos I could feel the hard plastic pressing against it.

Now that I'm happy with them comfort-wise (and sound), I'm contemplating a headphone amp to gain improvements; there's always improvements to be had isn't there? Hmmm, or should I just kill two birds and get a Caiman?

webby
02-01-2010, 10:29
Does anyone here use a portable headphone amp, say with an ipod? If so, what would you recommend? I think I've seen the Nuforce Icon Mobile mentioned a couple of times.

Themis
02-01-2010, 11:09
I use an iBasso Boa, that I recommend.