PDA

View Full Version : Vinyl comeack shock - the black stuff outsells digital

glenann
06-12-2016, 14:12
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-38221420

petrat
06-12-2016, 14:33
That last paragraph is the one that surprised me.

Ali Tait
06-12-2016, 15:01
Seems about half of those buying vinyl now never play it.

glenann
06-12-2016, 15:04
Seems about half of those buying vinyl now never play it.

A good idea then, would be to get those who buy and never play, to buy it and lend it us! :eyebrows:

Ali Tait
06-12-2016, 15:09
Yeah sounds like a plan!

montesquieu
06-12-2016, 18:21
Temporarily at least - vinyl outsold digital formats.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/dec/06/tables-turned-as-vinyl-records-outsell-digital-in-uk-for-first-time

struth
06-12-2016, 18:26
there is another thread re this Tom; will merge later. :) Yes, a lot will be xmas pressies and fact that aldi, sainsburys, tesco etc have been selling them, along with cheap record players, and lots of wives and kids will e buying it for daddy.... and maybe themselves.
Still, its good that for about 8 years now the sales have been on the up;not many things can do that.

Arkless Electronics
06-12-2016, 19:00
Well who would ever have thought it.. vinyl is now the top selling format again after all these years!

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2016/dec/06/tables-turned-as-vinyl-records-outsell-digital-in-uk-for-first-time

Great stuff!

southall-1998
06-12-2016, 19:57
You old farts all sound happy :lol:

S.

mikeyb
06-12-2016, 20:03
You old farts all sound happy [emoji38]

S.
At least us old farts play our 'vinyls' :)

mikeyb
06-12-2016, 20:08
Think the article is misleading it just says that more was 'spent' on records than downloads.

No wonder when records cost £20-25 each and album downloads around £8-10.

SteveW
06-12-2016, 20:21

:lol:

walpurgis
06-12-2016, 20:22
At least us old farts play our 'vinyls' :)

Never tried those. Got lots of records though. ;)

mikeyb
06-12-2016, 20:26
Never tried those. Got lots of records though. ;)
It was tongue in cheek :)

I play records too ;)

SteveW
10-12-2016, 09:11
Another reflection on the reality of music sales situation

https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/2016/dec/09/vinyl-record-sales-up-but-indie-labels-dont-see-benefit?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=Sleeve+Notes+-+NEW+with+2+editable+regions&utm_term=203488&subid=4845140&CMP=ema_630

Macca
10-12-2016, 09:15
Think the article is misleading it just says that more was 'spent' on records than downloads.

No wonder when records cost £20-25 each and album downloads around £8-10.

'However, it is worth noting that vinyl albums are priced much higher than downloads. Last week's biggest-selling vinyl was Kate Bush's triple-disc live album Before The Dawn, which retails at £52. A download of the same recording is available for £12'

mikeyb
10-12-2016, 09:17
'However, it is worth noting that vinyl albums are priced much higher than downloads. Last week's biggest-selling vinyl was Kate Bush's triple-disc live album Before The Dawn, which retails at £52. A download of the same recording is available for £12'
See, ah wuz richt ;) :)

mikeyb
10-12-2016, 09:19
Article might have been better titled "Ridiculously Priced Vinyl overtakes Digital Downloads"

Macca
10-12-2016, 09:43
The Kate Bush is a triple Album so they need to press 3 discs, print up a sleeve, ship it and so on. For the download they have to do - nothing. The download at fifteen squid could be seen as the rip-off.

mikeyb
10-12-2016, 09:49
The Kate Bush is a triple Album so they need to press 3 discs, print up a sleeve, ship it and so on. For the download they have to do - nothing. The download at fifteen squid could be seen as the rip-off.
Aye that's true, bloody Download ripoffs lol.

Don't get be wrong I know which one I'd rather own, I buy record version every time ( if available ).

I do however also buy a lot of downloads, but with some of the music I listen to a lot of it is only available via download.

The Kate Bush LP set is still a ridiculous price, plenty other artists selling their triple sets for £30 or thereabouts.

Dream Theater triple mind you was £60 - ouch!

Marco
10-12-2016, 09:56
Also, you can bet your boots that said Kate Bush vinyl album will be worth considerably more in 10 years time or so. Look at the price of Aerial now, compared to what it cost when it was first released... In any case, it'll always be worth more than a download! ;)

My record collection (numbering around 3000), including rarities/limited editions, etc, is worth rather more than my system (and that's not exactly pennies), and I OWN it, which for me, aside from anything else, is what makes a physical music collection so much better than a worthless collection of files.

Marco.

walpurgis
10-12-2016, 09:59
Also, you can bet your boots that said Kate Bush vinyl album will be worth considerably more in 10 years time or so. Look at the price of Aerial now, compared to what it cost when it was first released... In any case, it'll always be worth more than a download! ;)

Marco.

Yes. I was going to flog mine. I prefer the CD.

mikeyb
10-12-2016, 10:20
I have a few rare ones too but only by chance I buy music to listen to not profit from.

Unfortunately with the advent of the internet and the likes of eBay profit rules whether it be individual or corporations.

You can bet the company selling Kate Bush @ £50 know that no matter what price they asked it would sell, and THAT is partially dictated by the profiteers not the listeners.

But such is life nowadays, me I'll just keep buying the music I like in the best format it is available in whether it be Vinyl, CD or download, because at the end of the day I listen to music not my bank balance ;)

And one day I'll be dead and any rare items I own won't be worth feck all to me lol

Macca
10-12-2016, 10:25
The only time I'd be worried about what my records were worth is if I was dead broke and had to sell them.

It's people asking £200 for a 'rare' CD that gets me. Unlike a vinyl record you can make as many perfect copies of it as you want. Okay, not legally, but even so it ain't right.

Marco
10-12-2016, 10:31
I have a few rare ones too but only by chance I buy music to listen to not profit from.

So do I, and none of my records are for sale. You miss my point though, it's still nice knowing that whatever you own is worth something (anything) than it being completely worthless! ;)

Marco.

walpurgis
10-12-2016, 10:33
No point keeping records that won't get played though. I have a few that I definitely prefer the CD version of, as it just sounds better.

mikeyb
10-12-2016, 10:35
So do I, and none of my records are for sale. You miss my point though, it's still nice knowing that whatever you own is worth something (anything) than it being completely worthless! ;)

Marco.
Oh no I get your point, does anybody own anything that is worthless?

Because 'worth' is as individual as we are ;)

WAD62
10-12-2016, 10:42
My record collection (numbering around 3000), including rarities/limited editions, etc, is worth rather more than my system (and that's not exactly pennies), and I OWN it, which for me, aside from anything else, is what makes a physical music collection so much better than a worthless collection of files.

Marco.

That should be a rule of HIFi ownership, the collection should always out-value the system!!! ;)

So what is meant here by 'downloads', probably mp3's from Amazon and iTunes?

If that's the case I doubt there's a significant correlation between the increase of record sales, and the decrease of downloads. I'd suggest the decrease in downloads is more to do with an increase in streaming/subscription services.

Perhaps the increase in record sales is due to a new market for 'collectables', particularly if a they're not being played! :eyebrows:

Either way I'll stick with my 'best of both worlds' CDs...:)

hifi_dave
10-12-2016, 10:44
It is nice knowing that your 'stuff' is worth something. Trouble is when you reach a certain age, like me, I have realised that when I pop my clogs, my Wife and/or kids are going to have the arduous chore of disposing of it all. My recent brush with death has prompted me to start selling 'stuff' on here and E-Bay.

I have a loft, shelves and cupboards full of 'stuff', all of which is worth money even if just a few Pounds but all too good to just dump. It is slowly being sold and it's nice to see a little space and my first goal is to clear the loft of the big stuff.

The Hi-fi and parts are relatively easy to sell but it's the records which concern me. I have only around 800 or so I need to dispose of but it's the grading and packing which I find daunting.

walpurgis
10-12-2016, 10:55
I have a loft, shelves and cupboards full of 'stuff', all of which is worth money even if just a few Pounds but all too good to just dump. It is slowly being sold and it's nice to see a little space and my first goal is to clear the loft of the big stuff.

I'm doing the same. It is, as you say, just 'stuff' and I'm finding much of it no longer wanted or useful. I shall 'boot sale' a lot in the spring.

Marco
10-12-2016, 11:12
Oh no I get your point, does anybody own anything that is worthless?

Because 'worth' is as individual as we are ;)

Indeed, and at the end of the day you'll only get what someone thinks it's worth, but there is also an intrinsic, median value for anything that's desirable or collectable, otherwise the antiques market, for example, wouldn't function.

For example, since we're taking about Kate Bush's album 'Aerial', if you check the likes of Discogs: https://www.discogs.com/sell/release/588079?ev=rb you will find is around £178, but could be anything from £120 to nearly £300 - or perhaps on a good day on ebay, in a bidding war, even more!

I think it's safe to say that, fairly conservatively, you'd get £150 for a mint example of the album, therefore I'd allocate that value to my own copy, and apply the same formula to the rest of my record collection, in order to arrive at a reasonably accurate complete valuation :)

Marco.

Marco
10-12-2016, 11:15
That should be a rule of HIFi ownership, the collection should always out-value the system!!!

Indeed... It's a sad day when it's the other way round! ;)

Marco.

mikeyb
10-12-2016, 11:18
£150 for sh***e lol

Only kidding each to their own, I use discogs too, but it's really only going to help the kids offload my collection when I go as don't see any of them keeping it.

I suppose the advantage of all my downloaded purchases is that may be easier for them to keep than my 4000 LPs and 5000 cds, couple of hard drives and they're sorted lol

walpurgis
10-12-2016, 11:22
There are copies of Aerial on ebay at the moment with some serious asking prices. I just looked.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Records/176985/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=kate+bush+aerial&_sop=16

struth
10-12-2016, 11:26
It is nice knowing that your 'stuff' is worth something. Trouble is when you reach a certain age, like me, I have realised that when I pop my clogs, my Wife and/or kids are going to have the arduous chore of disposing of it all. My recent brush with death has prompted me to start selling 'stuff' on here and E-Bay.

The Hi-fi and parts are relatively easy to sell but it's the records which concern me. I have only around 800 or so I need to dispose of but it's the grading and packing which I find daunting.

Easiest way is using discogs to collate them into the my collection Dave. It will give you all the info. All you do is pull out a few every day or 2 and collate em. Doesnt take long for it to mount up without it decoming too much of a chore

hifi_dave
10-12-2016, 11:29
Thanks Grant. I'll take a look.

struth
10-12-2016, 11:34
No trouble. The first few take an age to find right ones, but once you work out a method they can go super quick, so dont despair

mikeyb
10-12-2016, 12:01
There are copies of Aerial on ebay at the moment with some serious asking prices. I just looked.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/Records/176985/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=kate+bush+aerial&_sop=16
I'll give you £50 for it, I'm only wanting it to listen to honest lol

mikeyb
10-12-2016, 12:05
I'm thinking of crowd funding a Ltd Edition Ltd Edition logo anyone want in?

On vinyl of course ;)

Macca
10-12-2016, 12:14
Call your band and first album 'Limited Edition', then you can release a limited edition of Limited Edition's 'Limited Edition'.

All bases covered.

walpurgis
10-12-2016, 12:16
Call your band and first album 'Limited Edition', then you can release a limited edition of Limited Edition's 'Limited Edition'.

All bases covered.

Not quite. Release it under a 'Limited Edition' label.

mikeyb
10-12-2016, 12:50

All bases covered.
Brilliant !

Lmfao

mikeyb
10-12-2016, 12:50
Not quite. Release it under a 'Limited Edition' lable.
Even brillianter !