PDA

View Full Version : Hello fellow artists

stevie7v
09-12-2016, 21:01
My name is Steve Margolis and I am a speaker designer.

Phew! I feel much better now I've got that out. Unfortunately, I've still got the habit and am, in fact, in the process on producing a new batch of speakers, including one that is really a complete hi-fi system.

I've followed the Art of Sound forum for a while and enjoy it so I've finally got around to joining.

My speaker company was called 'Seventh Veil' (hence my name here) and it was a complete, commercial failure. When I started I honestly believed that the hi-fi industry was about the search for truth and beauty. I soon learnt that it was more about the search for money. Still, I'm still quite proud of the products I produced and would like to show them below - as this is an introduction.

http://i1232.photobucket.com/albums/ff371/stevie7v/TheBoys-Mod.jpg

This was my first professional design - the Seventh Veil System IV - and was far too purist to survive. It incorporated 4 x 2" special Bandor full-range drivers, no crossovers or filters whatsoever, a transmission line built into the stand, and a non-resonant enclosure incorporating an egg-shaped interior volume. I loved many aspects of the System IV sound but recognised its flaws.

So, the next product was designed to overcome some of these flaws - and it did. This links to a brief intro:

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/newsflash/seventh-veil-speakers-8-2003.html

Unfortunately, other than being, let's say, "not the most beautiful", it proved to be impossibly expensive to produce. However, it retained many of the features of its predecessors, including special Bandor full-range drivers, no crossovers or filters whatsoever and a non-resonant enclosure incorporating an egg-shaped interior volume. This one was a sealed box design and there was a matching sub bass speaker.

These are all features that I incorporate into all of my designs, including my new stuff.

Incidentally, let me make it clear that I am no longer in the business of selling loudspeakers. In fact it's been some years since my last design.

So those are my speakers and now I'm designing a new system, including Preamplifier, power amplifiers and Goldring Lenco based turntable. I'm happy to provide any details you may want to see. I'm sure I'm in the right place for all the help I may need and look forward to joining your community.

Regards
Steve

struth
09-12-2016, 21:06
welcome Steve. a few artists here right enough :eyebrows: Hope you enjoy the forum. Interesting speakers those. I like full range stuff;simpler the better.

walpurgis
10-12-2016, 09:45
Hi Steve. Welcome to AOS.

Interesting intro there. I've experimented with the 2" Bandor drivers myself. I found them a bit limited to be honest.

We'd be keen to hear how your new projects come along.

If you are going to have a trade interest here, you will need to discuss this with Marco, the site owner.

I look forward to your participation.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

stevie7v
10-12-2016, 14:45
I have no commercial or trade interest whatsoever - as I stated above.

As for the Bandors, as long as they're used within their limits, they're not limited. Don't expect room shaking volume with a single 2" drive unit driven by a single ended triode or to use them as subwoofers. Seriously though, what was the application in which you found them limited?

Regards
Steve