PDA

View Full Version : Essex speakers !

Brian28
08-12-2016, 22:46
Hi all . Is there anyone out there in essex , as i live on Canvey Island , that has a pair of Tannoy Cheviots or Celestian 66's that i can try out on my system ?
More than willing to pick you up , take you back to mine , plug them in and play a few albums , ply you with tea , coffee and cake ! :eyebrows:then take you and your speakers home .

Bit of a strange one i know , but im looking at changing my speakers and dont want to waste my money .

So just thought i would ask ..

Cheers Brian

Audio Al
09-12-2016, 04:52
A very long shot , both very big speakers , I had the Tannoys but sold them about 6 months ago now :(

Michael loves music
09-12-2016, 06:39
I think that's a good idea

walpurgis
09-12-2016, 09:57
I think that's a good idea

It is a good idea in principle.

But unfortunately, they are big hefty speakers and I can't see people being willing to hump them around and of course every time they're moved, there's a risk of damage.

They are also very different sounding speakers.

The best bet would be to find a member that has either and visit them for a listen, taking music that you know with you.

Brian28
09-12-2016, 12:13
The problem is speakers react differently depending on whats driving them .. so i want to hear them with my equipment ..

Though i would like to hear them on their owners equipment as well !.

Anyway at the end of the day its up to whoever may have them , lives local and wants to !

Not really worth debating ..

Cheers Brian

Michael loves music
09-12-2016, 14:34
If there is a long legged blonde lady reading this in the Leicestershire area I can bring my tannoy V1 or JPW sontatas over anytime no problem at all

Brian28
09-12-2016, 15:38
Ooh , i can be anything you like , to hear those ! :stalks:

Audio Al
09-12-2016, 16:05
If there is a long legged blonde lady reading this in the Leicestershire area I can bring my tannoy V1 or JPW sontatas over anytime no problem at all

I can be round tonight

Name's Phil Mccaverty

I will need to shave my legs the stubble's a bit rough ;)

DSJR
09-12-2016, 16:37
Speakers change far more with the room than they do the system they're used with unless you're using some cack fashionable valve amp with zero or negative damping factor...

Cheviots sound nasal, sometimes fierce and pinched wherever they're used, but some rooms, crossover adjustments and close to wall mounting can minimise this. Ditton 66's will thud and trouser flap in the bass if they're not happy (others call it uncontrolled boom!) and are rare as hens teeth in any case and the upper mids and top should sound sweet, but perhaps a little restrained - it's so long since I heard a pair properly.

Don't discount the later Celestion 551 and 661 if you ever seem them. They may well be in tattier condition for some reason, but the charms are there still and although they don't project the soundstage forward of the boxes, it's an endearing listen.

Me? I'd look out for the £500 or so JBL floor-standers that were around a very few years ago with angular style on the grill frets. Tannoy efficiency and bass, but without the vintage headaches - but that's me, trying to break free from 'BBC Stodge-Box' ideals before it's too late and no longer able to afford the big active ATC's I once had which blew away the lot of 'em ;)

Macca
09-12-2016, 16:43
Me? I'd look out for the £500 or so JBL floor-standers that were around a very few years ago with angular style on the grill frets. Tannoy efficiency and bass, but without the vintage headaches

You mean the Ti series?

Brian28
09-12-2016, 17:21
I can be round tonight

Name's Phil Mccaverty

Oh my , i think i will pop round anyway :bonk: forget the speakers ! :eyebrows:

Brian28
09-12-2016, 17:32
Speakers change far more with the room than they do the system they're used with unless you're using some cack fashionable valve amp with zero or negative damping factor...

Cheviots sound nasal, sometimes fierce and pinched wherever they're used, but some rooms, crossover adjustments and close to wall mounting can minimise this. Ditton 66's will thud and trouser flap in the bass if they're not happy (others call it uncontrolled boom!) and are rare as hens teeth in any case and the upper mids and top should sound sweet, but perhaps a little restrained - it's so long since I heard a pair properly.

Don't discount the later Celestion 551 and 661 if you ever seem them. They may well be in tattier condition for some reason, but the charms are there still and although they don't project the soundstage forward of the boxes, it's an endearing listen.

Me? I'd look out for the £500 or so JBL floor-standers that were around a very few years ago with angular style on the grill frets. Tannoy efficiency and bass, but without the vintage headaches - but that's me, trying to break free from 'BBC Stodge-Box' ideals before it's too late and no longer able to afford the big active ATC's I once had which blew away the lot of 'em ;)

Those JBL 250Ti' s look very nice ..

walpurgis
09-12-2016, 17:39
Cheviots sound nasal, sometimes fierce and pinched wherever they're used

Not this pair here. But I get what you mean. These don't use HPD drivers. They are MK.II Cheviots.

Canetoad
10-12-2016, 07:20
I can be round tonight

Name's Phil Mccaverty

I thought it was Phil McCrakin!