PDA

View Full Version : M2 TECH 'hi Face' USB to S/PDIF 24/192

purite audio
13-12-2009, 21:46
The 'hiFace' is a superb little device, 24/192 bit perfect from your USB socket, RCA or BNC versions, PC or Mac, full Mac drivers have been released.
£100 inc vat and delivery
Keith.
http://www.m2tech.biz/products.html

mercury1 (trolling as Dave K)
13-12-2009, 22:34
Hi,
Any discount offered to AoS members?
Dave.

Rare Bird
13-12-2009, 23:52
:lolsign:

Keith:
The DAC i have is 16 bit-24 bit/32khz, 44.1Khz, 48Khz, 88.2Khz, 96Khz ..I'm i correct in assuming SOME USB will only allow upto 48kHz? So then would one of those convertors give me the ability to access the full 24Bit/96kHz via USB?

leo
14-12-2009, 08:58
:lolsign:

Keith:
The DAC i have is 16 bit-24 bit/32khz, 44.1Khz, 48Khz, 88.2Khz, 96Khz ..I'm i correct in assuming SOME USB will only allow upto 48kHz? So then would one of those convertors give me the ability to access the full 24Bit/96kHz via USB?

Yes, it should accept anything up to 24/192

Themis
14-12-2009, 10:41
I think I'll get one at this price. It's a bargain.
Pity that the French distributor doesn't sell online... :(

Keith, can you post outside the UK ?

purite audio
14-12-2009, 15:36
Andre Hi, yes if your dac is capable then you can play 24/192 files with the 'hiface',
Dimitri ,I can supply you, we have the RCA or BNC versions, Keith.

Rare Bird
14-12-2009, 16:33
BNC be best dimiti has superior electrical merits over the RCA, it's why Naim use em ;)

Maximum
14-12-2009, 21:58
Do you do the 30 day money back jobby that some have been talking about with these? It'd be really interesting to know how well these compare against non-usb based connections.

purite audio
14-12-2009, 23:00
Rob Hi yes of course, not sure about thirty days, but certainly if you don't like it or don't believe it an improvement you can send it back and I will refund in full.
We haven't had any returned so far.
Keith.

Rare Bird
15-12-2009, 00:26
Do you do the 30 day money back jobby that some have been talking about with these? It'd be really interesting to know how well these compare against non-usb based connections.

As pointed out a straight USB connection wont allow you to venture beyond 48kHz!

Themis
15-12-2009, 13:41
Dimitri ,I can supply you, we have the RCA or BNC versions, Keith.
Thank you Keith, you're a real gentleman. I'll PM you shortly with my order.

BNC be best dimiti has superior electrical merits over the RCA, it's why Naim use em
I know, but I have long cables so impedance mismatching is not so much an issue.
But I admit you're right; anyway I've all kind of digital coaxes and adapters. It'll probably be BNC this time. ;)

StanleyB
15-12-2009, 13:49
I was under the impression Naim used Canon connectors...

purite audio
15-12-2009, 14:18
Dimitri Hi,I only have one BNC version left, new delivery won't be until after Christmas, regards Keith.

Maximum
15-12-2009, 18:12
Dimitri Hi,I only have one BNC version left, new delivery won't be until after Christmas, regards Keith.

:doh:

Hmm would BNC to RCA make any difference over an RCA to RCA connection? For instance I would imagine reflections would still be incurred at the RCA end.

purite audio
16-12-2009, 14:16
Reflections?
Keith.

Themis
16-12-2009, 16:06
:doh:

Hmm would BNC to RCA make any difference over an RCA to RCA connection? For instance I would imagine reflections would still be incurred at the RCA end.
Anyway, no cable is really 75ohm and neither are the trasmitters at each end... RCA just adds a degree to the impossible. ;)

Maximum
19-12-2009, 15:32
Well someone from another forum in communication with m2tech was told bnc to rca can cause issues, so I'll probably just go with the RCA version. Email sent to Keith. ;)

Themis
19-12-2009, 16:21
Well someone from another forum in communication with m2tech was told bnc to rca can cause issues, so I'll probably just go with the RCA version. Email sent to Keith. ;)
Do you have a link to this, by any chance, Rob ? :scratch:

leo
19-12-2009, 20:05
These are great little devices, I've added a few impressions in the digital section

Maximum
20-12-2009, 11:43
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/usb-24-192khz-m2tech-hiface-446375/index17.html

Post 251. No actually information is given about the problems with bnc to rca, just that it does bad things.

Themis
20-12-2009, 12:09
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f46/usb-24-192khz-m2tech-hiface-446375/index17.html

Post 251. No actually information is given about the problems with bnc to rca, just that it does bad things.
Thanks.
It seems that it's the usual impedance difference between receivers and cable. As I use a long cable, it concerns me less, I guess. ;)

I've been using BNC to RCA adapters for a long time without detecting any problems with my dacs, anyway. I suppose that their ASRC are efficient. :)

jtay
01-01-2010, 23:44
Keith

I may be interested in a hiface usb to spdif converter and have read up about it. Can you help with the following to help me to decide whether to go for it:

1. Is there an AOS discount? How much will the price be including delivery/VAT - I live in London.
2. How long for delivery?
3. Payment method?
4. I'm still concerned it may not be in final form (either as to hardware or softare/driver). I've seen mixed comments on how it works with different operating systems. Though, initially, it will be used with XP, that will change to Win 7 (could be 64 bit). What problems continue to exist with any current OS given the current state of driver development.
5. Will it work flawlessly with foobar now? what of pops/clicks which have been expressed to be a problem?
6. I've seen mention of problems if it's used to provide principal audio when it comes to youtube and other software. While audio quality on youtube would not be a priority, I'd like to know if I would have to use an alternative method for audio besides one depending on this converter.
7. I'm not clear on why the digital signal (and low jitter) via this converter would improve upon a dedicated digital connection from my computer soundcard?
8. I note you have a returns policy if I wasn't happy, but you didn't say the return period covered. What would this be?

Thanks for that

purite audio
01-01-2010, 23:57
JT Hi, thanks for the enquiry, price is £100 inc vat and 'special delivery''
Next day delivery
Cheque or credit card, bank transfer.
It works flawlessly with more or less everything, Mrco at m2 Tech iorking on older drivers for pre intel macs, I have had only one case of clicking which diferent drivers cured.
Re the soundcard vs hiface you would just have to try,hence the 'return if you don't like it policy'.
A week or so should be enough to compare?
Thanks again, Keith.

Maximum
03-01-2010, 12:23
It currently supports directsound on XP, so you can use it as a main audio device. Windows 7 wasapi support is supposed to be on the cards fairly soon, so you should be ok with that too as long as you don't plan on upgrading very soon.

Sound quality wise it is very good, and I haven't found any pops or clicks. There is no harshness to be found, and the first thing that struck me was how well the highs held together. At first I thought it was possibly lacking some dynamics, but it may have settled in a bit because I don't get that anymore, and didn't have a chance to relax and just listen to it at first. I wont make any snap judgements just yet, but it seems to be a nice improvement over the X-fi soundcard I was using before.

jtay
06-01-2010, 21:19
I've now taken the plunge and placed an order for a hiface converter. Very helpful that Keith allows the chance to try in my setups and return if it doesn't suit. Will try a few different DACS on the end of it - Art Dio with bolder cables mensa mods, beresford 7510 6/3 (or something like that) and Emu 0404 which itself connects via USB. Also have a 'digitalpclink' bought off ebay which is a usb spdif converter. So, will see if the hiface improves on these and how.

Thanks for your help Keith

Chris

purite audio
06-01-2010, 22:19
Chris Hi, my pleasure, you have to try these things at home,atthe moment I am listening to the new Weiss INT202 firewire interface, and it is extremely good, using it with my Stahl-Tek, the Weiss has properly dithered digital attenuator and comes with a remote , it has ( at the moment anyway ) made my preamp redundant.
Keith.

Themis
24-03-2010, 18:58
Reminder: You can have the latest firmware update (Win and MacOS) here : http://www.m2tech.biz/download.html