PDA

View Full Version : ITV Picture Quality

webby
13-12-2009, 18:17
Could someone please tell me why the picture quality on ITV is so bad compared with most other channels. I mean sometimes it's bad, and sometimes it's worse than bad! Very blocky.

I have a Panny 42" PX80 plasma fed with sky plus.

Themis
13-12-2009, 18:19
If it's satellite, your plate needs adjusting, I think. ;)

DSJR
13-12-2009, 18:20
We use freeview and it's ALL bad, and that with a now elderly Panasonic 28" CRT telly. Bigger modern screens seem to emphasise any pixillation going on (and I thought it was the screens doing it).

I suspect it's either setup or TV companies doing the usual "lowest common denominator" thing again.....

Rare Bird
13-12-2009, 18:26
Exactly dave all TV is shit quality, i don't even know why i'm gonna spend so much on a new TV to be honest.Lucky i'm not bothered about watching the box, as long as my Cult 60's/70's Si-fi DVD's look good i'm cool.

mercury1 (trolling as Dave K)
13-12-2009, 18:27
If it's satellite, your plate needs adjusting, I think. ;)

But there again, if you're using a plate maybe you'd be better using a dish :lol: .
Sorry Themis, I couldn't resist it - no offence my friend, I genuinely admire your command of our sometimes very weird language.

DSJR
13-12-2009, 18:33
Exactly dave all TV is shit quality, i don't even know why i'm gonna spend so much on a new TV to be honest.Lucky i'm not bothered about watching the box, as long as my Cult 60's/70's Si-fi DVD's look good i'm cool.

I'm a huge fan of UFO and I thought the DVD's were superbly re-mastered. the HD transfers are certainly better on small background resolution (writing on control panels etc) but someone tinkered with the excellent colour grading of the earlier transfers..

Just like "re-mastering" CD's innit?

Themis
13-12-2009, 18:35
But there again, if you're using a plate maybe you'd be better using a dish :lol: .
Sorry Themis, I couldn't resist it - no offence my friend, I genuinely admire your command of our sometimes very weird language.
:D

(pardon my ignorance. No offence, really : it makes me lough, on the contrary ! ;))

Jonboy
13-12-2009, 19:02
I'm on Virgin Cable, just had all my cables replaced because my dopey brother-inlaw put a spade through the line in from the road and i still get a good one minute and bad the next picture, perhaps there plate has gone:lol:

But must admit it seems to be worse lately looks like low cloud type satelite interference where the picture breaks up and the pixels get bigger?

Rare Bird
13-12-2009, 19:22
I'm a huge fan of UFO and I thought the DVD's were superbly re-mastered. the HD transfers are certainly better on small background resolution (writing on control panels etc) but someone tinkered with the excellent colour grading of the earlier transfers..

Just like "re-mastering" CD's innit?

Aye they are amazing picture quality.. Same with the Prisoner, their are some appauling issues on DVD especially the collector club..The best i have & seen is the Region 0 Austraian ones on Carlton/Umbrella..the pictures awesome.. Saying that the now deleted Space 1999 S1&2 are great lot better then i remember em on TV...

The Vinyl Adventure
13-12-2009, 20:15
I got a 37" px80. Itv picture quality seems ok certainly for the most part itv 2 is pretty gash though and the +1 channels are awful! But then most of what is on tv is shite anyway so ...

Alex_UK
13-12-2009, 20:15
It was shockingly bad on X Factor last night, my theory is that it is because they want you to upgrade to Freesat, which has ITV HD... Do they own part of the company, I wonder?

Rare Bird
13-12-2009, 20:16
Trouble with LCD TV's is you get a poor reception it will let you know it's poor, i'm glad i retired my old tube telly years ago tho all the same.

Rare Bird
13-12-2009, 20:18
It was shockingly bad on X Factor last night, my theory is that it is because they want you to upgrade to Freesat, which has ITV HD... Do they own part of the company, I wonder?

Yes it's a joint thing between BBC & ITV..

Mike
13-12-2009, 20:51
It was shockingly bad on X Factor last night,

Serves you right for watching such guff! :ner:

Rare Bird
13-12-2009, 21:00

:respect:

Alex_UK
13-12-2009, 21:03

Did I say I was talking about the picture quality? :lol:

Marco
13-12-2009, 21:13
Joe to win!! :lol:

Marco.

The Vinyl Adventure
13-12-2009, 21:14
I think the dappy brid should have won!

Marco
13-12-2009, 21:21
Hehehe... Told ya! :eyebrows:

I had him down as the winner about 4 weeks ago.... Should've put money on it :doh:

Marco.

Stratmangler
13-12-2009, 21:26

Don't forget that Freeview HD is due to come online in the Spring. in time for all the World Cup coverage next Summer.

AFAIK no TV sets currently on the market will be able to decode the HD signal, so we'll still be stuck with set-top boxes. Eventually you will be able to purchase TV sets with Freeview HD capable tuners.

The Freesat stuff all comes off the Sky satellite anyway - I think the Freesat consortium came about because of the realisation that many households in the UK already had viable hardware installed with which to pick up the service.
You can even get a Freesat viewing card for Sky provided tuners (costs £20 IIRC) fromSky themselves.
Freesat also allows creative figure massaging to take place - how many households cannot receive satellite services (Milton Keynes excepted) ? Yet there are still areas of the UK where there is poor digital coverage.

I've been trying to work out a way of cutting back my TV expense/outlay every month, and can't, 'cos I likes having access to the footy - if I didn't have that then I could slash the level of outlay required.:(

Chris

The Vinyl Adventure
13-12-2009, 21:27
i dont like his voice

The Vinyl Adventure
13-12-2009, 21:31
Don't forget that Freeview HD is due to come online in the Spring. in time for all the World Cup coverage next Summer.

AFAIK no TV sets currently on the market will be able to decode the HD signal, so we'll still be stuck with set-top boxes. Eventually you will be able to purchase TV sets with Freeview HD capable tuners.

The Freesat stuff all comes off the Sky satellite anyway - I think the Freesat consortium came about because of the realisation that many households in the UK already had viable hardware installed with which to pick up the service.
You can even get a Freesat viewing card for Sky provided tuners (costs £20 IIRC) fromSky themselves.
Freesat also allows creative figure massaging to take place - how many households cannot receive satellite services (Milton Keynes excepted) ? Yet there are still areas of the UK where there is poor digital coverage.

I've been trying to work out a way of cutting back my TV expense/outlay every month, and can't, 'cos I likes having access to the footy - if I didn't have that then I could slash the level of outlay required.:(

Chris

have they settled on a way to broadcast hd freeview? there was talk of using the dvbt2 system for a while .. if they do use that system some people with be lucky as it was speced on some tvs a year or so back! the sony kdl-**w3000 series had it for example

Marco
Christ, I don't watch it for the music - I just like seeing ordinary folk get a shot at stardom. I felt the same about Susan Boyle, too! :)

Marco.

Stratmangler
i dont like his voice

I don't like the sound of either of them TBH.

Chris;)

Stratmangler
13-12-2009, 21:32
have they settled on a way to broadcast hd freeview? there was talk of using the dvbt2 system for a while .. if they do use that system some people with be lucky as it was speced on some tvs a year or so back! the sony kdl-**w3000 series had it for example

Dunno !

Chris:)

Joe
13-12-2009, 21:34
I don't like the sound of either of them TBH.

Chris;)

I've never heard either of them (no TV).

Marco
13-12-2009, 21:36
I heard you've even got an inside toilet installed now, no? ;)

Marco.

Joe
13-12-2009, 21:38
Aye, and a bath an' all. To keep t'coal in.

Marco
13-12-2009, 21:41
F*ckin' snob!

Marco.

Joe
13-12-2009, 21:43
With my top-of-the-range Naim system I am considerably richer than yew.

Marco
13-12-2009, 21:55
Aye, but ye divvn't have nah electricity te use it!!

Marco.

Themis
13-12-2009, 21:55
With my top-of-the-range Naim system I am considerably richer than yew.
Looking at the price of Naim I would swear the contrary... :eyebrows:

Joe
13-12-2009, 21:58
Aye, but ye divvn't have nah electricity te use it!!

Marco.

Chaps, only plebs and chavs use electricity. My top-of-the-range Naim system is hand-cranked by local craftsmen.

Alex_UK
13-12-2009, 22:09
I think the dappy brid should have won!

Me too! :(

Spectral Morn
13-12-2009, 22:26
Danyl was the best imho.

Great UK public would not know talent if it bit them in the bum. At least Oli didn't win.

Regards D S D L

Marco
13-12-2009, 22:38
Chaps, only plebs and chavs use electricity. My top-of-the-range Naim system is hand-cranked by local craftsmen.

Well you've just won X-Factor, so I guess you can afford it!!

Marco.

Joe
13-12-2009, 22:40
Well you've just won X-Factor, so I guess you can afford it!!

Marco.

Indeed.

:king:

webby
13-12-2009, 22:41
I was sure that someone was gonna say that it's because the signal being broadcast is not yet at full strength, or something like that.

Spectral Morn
13-12-2009, 22:47
Most of the current range of Panasonic Plasmas and larger LCD all have Freeview HD sat units built in.

I like Andre am perfectly happy with my 37 inch Panasonic CRT TV....better picture, less electrical use than a flat panel (of any technology) and it handles rapid on screen movement with out blurring or pixelating....most flat panel TVs are crap imho. Better with HD, but quite often it looks unnatural-hyper reality...no thanks.

You get a reduction in information content in the broadcast (amount of data), a bit like MP3 quality in audio and it manifests its self as pixelation and movement artifacts... Once again digital is not better than analogue...except for red button features.

I must admit to not having noticed to many problems with picture quality on the X Factor, but unlike previous years I didn't watch it that much....this year.

Regards D S D L

Rare Bird
14-12-2009, 16:06
Most of the current range of Panasonic Plasmas and larger LCD all have Freeview HD sat units built in.

I like Andre am perfectly happy with my 37 inch Panasonic CRT TV....better picture, less electrical use than a flat panel (of any technology) and it handles rapid on screen movement with out blurring or pixelating....most flat panel TVs are crap imho. Better with HD, but quite often it looks unnatural-hyper reality...no thanks.

You get a reduction in information content in the broadcast (amount of data), a bit like MP3 quality in audio and it manifests its self as pixelation and movement artifacts... Once again digital is not better than analogue...except for red button features.

I must admit to not having noticed to many problems with picture quality on the X Factor, but unlike previous years I didn't watch it that much....this year.

Regards D S D L

Actually it's a LCD i have but one of the very early Samsungs,i'm gonna get a new one on the grounds that the wife wants one & secondly it looks very dated now.But your right LCD TV have a hell of a long way to go, as you say the screens can't refresh fast enough & look a bit blur if you sit too close, also the poor receptions look really poor, something a tube telly will forgive to a certain extent.But in all reality i've compaired our picture quality with the latest version, mine wins hands down...LCD's will pick up ever descrepency going, so make sure you have the best leads & components fitted.Junk the dreadful Scarts for HDMI aswell

DSJR
14-12-2009, 16:38
X Factor was supposedly mixed using Harbeth 40.1's in a surround setup...

Danyl, IMO, was a one note, self important drama queen. A Diva before his "time!"

Just my opinion - Jamie of the Afro should have won it :ner:

I'm told that modern flat-screens work well on Blue-ray, although I haven't been interested enough to find out for myself. Whether the LCD pixillation is in thge screens as well as the broadcast, or whether the high contrast and large screen size makes the standard broadcast worse, I don't know.

B&O called it viewing comfort and designed their chassis (or significantly modified others) for long term watchability, rather than monitor grade analysis, although some of their CRT designs were very good indeed IMO...

The Vinyl Adventure
14-12-2009, 23:26
LCD tv's aren't getting any better in my books! The lastest top end sonys look redic far to much proccessing gives a psuedo 3d effect that in my books looks like 2d objects moving in a 3d environment! They also shit them selves with any major motion spilling artefacts all over the place! How these tv's get good reviews is beyond me! I don't think what hifi actually look at them! And that's the sonys.. As for the crapper brands ... You would have to pay me to own one...
If you want a good tv, the best buy on the Market are panny plasmas the 42g10 is excelent! It's actually got a smooth moving picture!

Spectral Morn
14-12-2009, 23:32
LCD tv's aren't getting any better in my books! The lastest top end sonys look redic far to much proccessing gives a psuedo 3d effect that in my books looks like 2d objects moving in a 3d environment! They also shit them selves with any major motion spilling artefacts all over the place! How these tv's get good reviews is beyond me! I don't think what hifi actually look at them! And that's the sonys.. As for the crapper brands ... You would have to pay me to own one...
If you want a good tv, the best buy on the Market are panny plasmas the 42g10 is excelent! It's actually got a smooth moving picture!

With Pioneer gone from the TV market :( that leaves Panasonic as the best. I agree with Hamish, though I am sticking with my CRT TV for the time being.

Regards D S D L

The Vinyl Adventure
14-12-2009, 23:42
It is damn shame about pioneer, I remember whn I first saw one of the early kuro's, it was actually unfair for it to be compared to the other tv's on the market at the time...it made everything else look terible buy comparison!! But then it was about 2x the price of an equal sized any thing else and I guess that's where they went wrong!

webby
14-12-2009, 23:53
I wouldn't buy anything other than a Panny now.

Alex_UK
14-12-2009, 23:58
Love my 42" Panny Plasma - only thing I would replace it with is a 50"!

The Vinyl Adventure
15-12-2009, 00:00
46" z1 - only £4k
Tasty biatch
http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/1859cd8d.jpg

The Vinyl Adventure
15-12-2009, 00:05
This woman came in the shop the other day, she was telling me she was really dusapointed she couldn't buy a b&o in Worcester any more.. She just liked them for the style, so I showed her the z1. Suitably impressed by it's looks she said how much is it... I told her she would be looking at £4k ish... She bloody well laughed at me, she said "is that all, I was expecting you to say about £30k - that's what I paid for my b&o!" .. Fuck knows what he bought for £30k, but it bloody well had better have been made of platinum or summat!

Rare Bird
15-12-2009, 01:04
Samsung for me although the new range's asthetics look shite..I did have a brief look at an LG, looked fine but i don't know em & don't trust em.Saying all this looks are very important cos it gets used once in a blue moon..I think they call that an ornament

ps: who ever designs those intergrated stands need shooting close range in the head..Cantilever stands are the best thing yet to get shut of the bloody horrible things.

The Vinyl Adventure
15-12-2009, 01:20
All that led samsung tv thing has caused a bunch of crap for them and just made me trust them less! We still get people asking if we sell led tv's, it takes so long to explain that it is a led backlight, not a led tv! Sony have been doing led backlighting in some of thier high end sets for a couple of years .. To my eye they arnt any better now than the flourecant backlit ones .. They still can't deal with motion and they still look unatural in the colours! The biggest and most important point to note when it comes to modern tv's is that the switch to LCD from plasma was NOT for quality but for the cost of the technology and, at the time it happened, energy efficency! If Sony had continued to back plasma, I personally think the marketplace would be very different! Let's jus hope the OLED tech is as good as Sony claim it, coz I honestly can't see LCD actually getting anybetter for television perpouses! If it was going to get as good as plasma I'm pretty certain it would have happened by now, and like I said before, if anything I think it might be getting worse!

REM
15-12-2009, 08:28
LCD, Plasma, OLED,.... WTF????

The Vinyl Adventure
15-12-2009, 08:42
Te-le-vi-sion.. Now you say it ;)
a box of tricks that pumps mindless tripe into peoples houses for the perpouses of entertainment/mind control

Themis
15-12-2009, 10:11
All this technology wasted for such a limited content quality... :(
It's TV.

The Vinyl Adventure
15-12-2009, 10:18
get a blu-berry player!

chris@panteg
15-12-2009, 11:30
Hi hamish

Unless anyone else has mentioned ' ITV broadcast at a pathetically low bit rate ' this is why its so blocky ' the bbc is far superior ' but even they could put out a better pic ' its all down to available bandwidth.

Don't blame your lcd tv ' garbage in garbage out remember ' also ITVHD is lower bit rate than BBC or SKY ' they really are cheapskate's .

To be fair ITV is strapped for cash so the less bandwidth they use the cheaper it is.

webby
15-12-2009, 12:21
Hi hamish

Unless anyone else has mentioned ' ITV broadcast at a pathetically low bit rate ' this is why its so blocky ' the bbc is far superior ' but even they could put out a better pic ' its all down to available bandwidth.

Don't blame your lcd tv ' garbage in garbage out remember ' also ITVHD is lower bit rate than BBC or SKY ' they really are cheapskate's .

To be fair ITV is strapped for cash so the less bandwidth they use the cheaper it is.

Hooray! Just as I suspected :lol:

The Vinyl Adventure
15-12-2009, 13:08
... lcd is still shit though.. my rambleings last night were talking about blu-ray. with lcd its good in shit out so with itv broadcast even the best lcds have no hope!

webby
15-12-2009, 13:19
Mine's a Plasma :)

REM
15-12-2009, 13:20
Tel-e-vision, tel-e-vision, don't know about 'GIBO' seems to me it's more like always 'Garbage On':rolleyes:

Jonboy
15-12-2009, 19:13
I have been running a 42 inch Pioneer Plasma for three years now, it still out classes a lot of the compition, my son bought himself a LG 32 inch 7000 series lcd with i think a 2.7 million per sec refresh rate, it looks stunning with his ps3 playing blue rays.:)

Alex_UK
15-12-2009, 21:58
This woman came in the shop the other day, she was telling me she was really dusapointed she couldn't buy a b&o in Worcester any more.. She just liked them for the style, so I showed her the z1. Suitably impressed by it's looks she said how much is it... I told her she would be looking at £4k ish... She bloody well laughed at me, she said "is that all, I was expecting you to say about £30k - that's what I paid for my b&o!" .. Fuck knows what he bought for £30k, but it bloody well had better have been made of platinum or summat!

She was clearly trying to impress you, so you would sleep with her - the female equivalent of "willy waving" (flange flapping? :) )

The Vinyl Adventure
15-12-2009, 22:03
Mingaling! She was like well old! ... She did ask me if I would set it up for her .... ...

Joe
15-12-2009, 22:04
'The Cable Guy'

Jonboy
15-12-2009, 22:04
Take your Ky gell you might get a tip

The Vinyl Adventure
15-12-2009, 22:08
... Oh the mental images...

Alex_UK
15-12-2009, 22:43
...and I bet the test DVD she would have suggested would be "The Graduate" ;)

The Vinyl Adventure
15-12-2009, 22:54
Ha, yes well, that wouldn't be half as bad as some of the test DVD's some of my colleague's have told me about...there is one chap who lives in Gloucester, where our head office is, he lives within the care system so I should point out I'm not mocking.. I guess he just doesn't understand that it is inapropriate to discus the merits of skin tones in hardcore porn...

Spectral Morn
15-12-2009, 22:57
:eek:

The Vinyl Adventure
15-12-2009, 23:08
Actually it maybe just a Gloucester thing, I is a bit of a "care system" that town

lovejoy
16-12-2009, 20:02
Actually it maybe just a Gloucester thing, I is a bit of a "care system" that town

Must have caught it from Swindon.

DanJennings
16-12-2009, 20:04
I'm still reeling from the use of the word 'Mingaling'