PDA

View Full Version : Sky Q - anyone else here got it?

Marco
29-11-2016, 18:17
Does anyone else here have Sky Q installed, in conjunction with a 4K TV?

Sky engineer came today and set it all up, along with Sky Fibre Max for Internet and downloads... WOW, fookin' ell, the picture resolution of the movies on Sky Cinema, in Ultra-High Definition/Dolby Digital, is simply STUNNING! :eek: :wow: 'Being there' just about describes it! :thumbsup:

Still to watch the footy in UHD, so can't wait for that....:cool:

Also getting just under 80Mb per second with downloads, so that and general Internet usage is super-quick! So much better than the standard broadband we were on before from Talk Talk. Thoroughly recommended :)

Marco.

Marco
29-11-2016, 20:32
Am I all on my lonesome on the Sky Q front? :D

Marco.

mikeyb
29-11-2016, 23:12
Ditched Sky last Xmas and saved £50+ a month, not missed it one bit.

Marco
30-11-2016, 08:34
Lol... So have you done/are you doing something nice with the £50 you've saved? :)

Marco.

Ali Tait
30-11-2016, 08:42
Been thinking about it Marco but not made the switch yet.

Audio Al
30-11-2016, 09:32
I also binned Sky a couple of years ago , They kept increasing the monthly fee for no reason other than they could

I only have the TV on twice a week , Would rather listen too my simply stunning :eek: Hi Fi ;)

struth
30-11-2016, 09:40
Had it for a year once. Thought after a month, it just repeated itself so once the year was up it went. That was 17 years ago, and dont miss it.

mikeyb
30-11-2016, 10:18
Lol... So have you done/are you doing something nice with the £50 you've saved? :)

Marco.
Nah, wasting it on Hi-fi and records :)

Spectral Morn
30-11-2016, 11:11
SkyQ looks good from a recording flexibility standpoint, also the multi room set up, though I prefer hard wired as non wired can be flaky at times.

As there is very little true 4K material I view that feature as irrelevant - currently.

I would miss not having Sky, but its a serious drain on resources so I might boot it.

Joe
30-11-2016, 12:24
Have never had Sky, When we were donated a TV a few months back, we took out the lowest-cost Virgin TV/broadband/phone package, which for some reason turned out to be cheaper than the phone/broadband only package we've had for the past few years.

Since getting the TV, I've only watched a few programmes and a couple of DVDs, so Sky would be wasted on me.

Adam D
30-11-2016, 12:36
I have Sky HD, but no films or sport.

I still do not see the point of moving to Sky Q at this moment in time, given the lack of non-sport and non-film content.

Ali Tait
30-11-2016, 13:46
Yep, my thoughts also.

Marco
30-11-2016, 19:17
Been thinking about it Marco but not made the switch yet.

Hi Ali,

Sorry for the late reply - just been busy! Duncan was round setting up a second RPi I've now installed in the home-cinema system... Wanted to have access to it in the lounge, too, especially for the radio channels :)

If you're into sports and movies, and want to experience them at their best, visually and sonically, and have a 4K TV and decent AV/home cinema set-up, then upgrading to Sky Q is a no-brainer, as the results with UHD really are stunning. With the new box, you also get a 2TB hard drive, which is double the size of the old one, so much more storage capacity for all your films and stuff.

Then there's the multi-room viewing advantages, which are significant, especially with a suitable tablet and Sky Go, so you can watch your favourite programmes in the kitchen or when you're lying having a bath, etc! :eyebrows:

It really just depends on your circumstances and what you're looking for. Now I've got Sky Q, I certainly wouldn't want to be without it :cool:

Marco.

Marco
30-11-2016, 19:56
I have Sky HD, but no films or sport.

I still do not see the point of moving to Sky Q at this moment in time, given the lack of non-sport and non-film content.

Hi Adam,

Yup, it's only really worth it if you're into live sport and/or movies :)

Marco.

Marco
30-11-2016, 19:59
Nah, wasting it on Hi-fi and records :)

Well, that is something nice, innit? :D

I'm on the opposite journey now - having now pretty much sorted my main system, and as I own around 5000 CDs and records, I'm now building a Blu-ray/DVD collection! :)

Marco.

Marco
30-11-2016, 20:07
SkyQ looks good from a recording flexibility standpoint, also the multi room set up, though I prefer hard wired as non wired can be flaky at times.

Depends on the strength and speed of your Internet connection, mate. That sorted, wireless isn't an issue - certainly isn't here. However, to get the most from Sky Q (and downloading movies, etc), you really need high-speed fibre broadband to take proper advantage of it.

As there is very little true 4K material I view that feature as irrelevant - currently.

Not if you're a fan of live sports! There's ultra-high definition broadcasts of footy, etc, all the time. Also, plenty of downloadable movies in Sky Cinema :)

Marco.

Ali Tait
30-11-2016, 20:44
Aye that's the thing, sport doesn't interest me..

User211
30-11-2016, 20:47
I've had it since it came out, pretty much.

The Sky Q box gets way too hot. It also makes funny noises.

I wish they'd drop 75% of the "channels" and just show decent programming. It is full of dire programming and repeat upon repeat. You don't need repeats with on demand programming. And that is where Sky will fail. They have sold you the higher rate broadband, obviously, but you don't need that to stream UHD - the basic 40 Mbps will do that.

Which brings me onto Netflix. YouTube, Google Play and Amazon Prime. Those four are what we will use when we can get out of the Sky Q contract. On demand services really are the future and there is more UHD content on Netflix than Sky. Also, the programming is better - Netflix is just getting really good, where it used to be dire. Check out Black Mirror, Narcos, and Pablo Escobar - El Patron Del Mal - which is amazingly better than Narcos, and there are 74 episodes of it. It takes the first 5 episodes+ before that really gets good, though.

Also, Sky are just getting so greedy with film rentals. They wanted £7.99 to watch Star Trek Beyond when Goodgle wanted £4.49.

I'm not a fan of the GUI - it looks swish, but actually it isn't that well thought out from a usability point of view.

When the novelty wears off and you start looking online, you'll realise Sky will die with its current pricing model.

Marco
30-11-2016, 20:49

Sure, mate, I get that. Being able to watch the footy in UHD/4K was pretty much my raison d'etre for getting Sky Q installed :)

Also, the library of all sorts of 4K stuff available is only liable to grow...

Marco.

Pieoftheday
30-11-2016, 20:58
I'll stick with sky HD at mo, it's all getting a bit daft and pricey to my mind. I used to watch some star trek modern of shoots a while back on regular sky on a plasma screen, clean and crisp ,on my my new HD TV with sky HD it's awful,prob go to freeview eventually

Marco
30-11-2016, 21:07
IThe Sky Q box gets way too hot. It also makes funny noises.

Neither apply here. In terms of the former, is the unit placed in an area where it's getting proper ventilation?

I wish they'd drop 75% of the "channels" and just show decent programming. It is full of dire programming and repeat upon repeat.

Undoubtedly, with so many channels to choose from, a lot of it will be dross, but for me, even out with of the sports and movie channels, there's plenty worth watching, and I like how all the catch-up stuff works.

They have sold you the higher rate broadband, obviously, but you don't need that to stream UHD - the basic 40 Mbps will do that.

Yes, but in my experience, not as reliably or instantaneously. It also has a knock-on effect on the whole of your Internet usage. For example, I've never seen the forum operate so rapidly! :eek:

When the novelty wears off and you start looking online, you'll realise Sky will die with its current pricing model.

For some, perhaps. Not me - I'm more than happy with things, and I also like having everything all 'under the one roof', as it saves a lot of hassle, so our telephone, Internet and TV entertainment is now with Sky, and it'll be staying that way :cool:

Marco.

Marco
30-11-2016, 21:10
I used to watch some star trek modern of shoots a while back on regular sky on a plasma screen, clean and crisp ,on my my new HD TV with sky HD it's awful...

Awful in what way, James? Something's defo not right. Sky HD (on my Sony 4K TV) here is superb, crisp and clear as a very crisoy clear thing! :cool:

Marco.

User211
30-11-2016, 21:13
No the Q box is in open space - it just gets bloody hot! So does the router. Probably early versions and they've fixed it?

The 40Mbps service is ALWAYS at 38 Mbps or 37.5 at any time of day every time I test it and have done so loads of times. The ping response is also good - which means quick web page loading.

I'm sorry to be negative about it - we have everything under Sky too and it costs well over £100/month.

There is some good stuff on it. There can't not be. But it could be so much better. Also, I reckon the UHD on Netflix is better than Sky's - less compressed, probably.

Marco
30-11-2016, 21:30
No the Q box is in open space - it just gets bloody hot! So does the router. Probably early versions and they've fixed it?

Must've done, mate, as it's a non-issue here.

The 40Mbps service is ALWAYS at 38 Mbps or 37.5 at any time of day every time I test it and have done so loads of times. The ping response is also good - which means quick web page loading.

Sure, but the Fibre Max I've got now at 80 Mbps, is massively faster than the 38 Mbps, or so, of my previous broadband connection with Talk Talk. Also, another major advantage, is if I need to speak to anyone, with Sky I'm dealing with someone in Britain, not India, as it was with TT! :doh:

I'm sorry to be negative about it - we have everything under Sky too and it costs well over £100/month.

No worries at all, you can only relate your experience, and ditto with the costs, but I suspect things have moved on a little since you first had your stuff installed, certainly in terms of the hardware.

Also, I reckon the UHD on Netflix is better than Sky's - less compressed, probably.

I can't comment, as I've never done the comparison. However, the UHD I'm experiencing here with Sky Q is anything but compressed looking. Quite the opposite - it's visually stunning! :)

Btw, do you have a fancy 'scroll pad'-style (like that found on a smart phone) remote control with your Sky Q? If not, you should get one, as it's really good.

Marco.

Spectral Morn
30-11-2016, 21:39

Nor me.

Spectral Morn
30-11-2016, 21:44
Depends on the strength and speed of your Internet connection, mate. That sorted, wireless isn't an issue - certainly isn't here. However, to get the most from Sky Q (and downloading movies, etc), you really need high-speed fibre broadband to take proper advantage of it.

Not if you're a fan of live sports! There's ultra-high definition broadcasts of footy, etc, all the time. Also, plenty of downloadable movies in Sky Cinema :)

Marco.

No fibre optic where I am, so less than ideal, but main room where Sky + is performs fine. For a large house with numerous room wanting Sky, SkyQ is ideal, for me less so. Not into sport.

Marco
30-11-2016, 21:45
Formula 1, no? ;)

Much better in UHD! :eyebrows:

Marco.

User211
30-11-2016, 21:54
Btw, do you have a fancy 'scroll pad'-style (like that found on a smart phone) remote control with your Sky Q? If not, you should get one, as it's really good.

Marco.

I don't like that, either. The Sky installers didn't. But their kids did. I find it imprecise - because it is.

My h/w isn't old Marco - its only a few months and I am positive you won't have any performance gains with yours.

Also, the internet connection has nowt to do with Sky it is BT Open Reach re-sold by Sky. FTC or fibre to cabinet stuff. If we got it off someone else it would be exactly the same i.e. use the same infrastructure.

A really crude way to check compression levels is to freeze frame, and look at the picture from a few inches away.

BTW I have an LG OLED they don't come much better. Sky UHD looks good but for my money online UHD can be better - less compression, as I say.

Marco
30-11-2016, 21:58
I can't argue (other than with the noisy box thing), as I'm still getting into all this stuff, but I certainly can't complain with the results I'm getting here in any shape or form [and I like the new remote control], so have no desire to look elsewhere. I'm just going to enjoy it all now over the Xmas hols! :cool:

Marco.

User211
30-11-2016, 22:03
I can't argue (other than with the noisy box thing), as I'm still getting into all this stuff, but I certainly can't complain with the results I'm getting here in any shape or form [and I like the new remote control], so have no desire to look elsewhere. I'm just going to enjoy it all now over the Xmas hols! :cool:

Marco.

And I am sure you will. It is a new toy and is there to be enjoyed:) I'm just being a pedant.

Marco
30-11-2016, 22:11
Lol - on a different note, I'm going to recap the Celestion 15XRs, fronting the home-cinema system, this weekend (with the help of a friend), so that should be fun! I'm going to try some Jantzen silver Z-Caps in them [as I fancy the spec] and see what happens :cool:

A wee change from Mundorf or Clarity Cap: http://www.hificollective.co.uk/components/jantzen-silver-zcap.html

Marco.

Audio Al
01-12-2016, 04:49
or when you're lying having a bath

Thats something else for you thats new then Marco :ner:

Spectral Morn
01-12-2016, 08:28
Formula 1, no? ;)

Much better in UHD! :eyebrows:

Marco.

I don't love it enough to pay for the dedicated channel now, so the extra SkyQ costs + the extra subscription required still doesn't persuade me. Must say the loss of F1 off the BBC still pisses me off, though Channel4 did a reasonable job, just less live programs than I would like.

Must also say that the Sky deal for Q which excludes long time subscribers isn't very fair, why should blow ins get reduced subscription and a free TV or PC.. not fair, but that's Sky.

CageyH
01-12-2016, 08:53
I thought you needed a pretty big TV to notice the 4K UHD difference. It seems to be portrayed that way in all of the reviews I have read anyway.

Marco
01-12-2016, 09:19
or when you're lying having a bath

Thats something else for you thats new then Marco :ner:

Yes, darling, and whilst sipping champagne and stroking my rubber duck too, I'll have you know! :eyebrows:

Marco [Loves a long soak].

Marco
01-12-2016, 09:20
I thought you needed a pretty big TV to notice the 4K UHD difference. It seems to be portrayed that way in all of the reviews I have read anyway.

Apparently not, as I can clearly appreciate the difference with a 43-incher, as it were... ;)

Marco.

Marco
01-12-2016, 09:21
I don't love it enough to pay for the dedicated channel now, so the extra SkyQ costs + the extra subscription required still doesn't persuade me. Must say the loss of F1 off the BBC still pisses me off, though Channel4 did a reasonable job, just less live programs than I would like.

Must also say that the Sky deal for Q which excludes long time subscribers isn't very fair, why should blow ins get reduced subscription and a free TV or PC.. not fair, but that's Sky.

Yup, mate, I hear ya and agree. Just pointing out that there are some sports you do like :)

Marco.

CageyH
01-12-2016, 09:22
Apparently not, as I can clearly see the difference with a 43-incher, as it were... ;)

Marco.

Interesting to know.
What did you have before?

Marco
01-12-2016, 09:55
The same TV, but pre-Sky Q and so without the ability to view UHD. Therefore, I'm comparing HD with UHD on the same TV, and there's a big difference! :)

Marco.

struth
01-12-2016, 10:18
Should be like going from dvd to bluray. No contest for most things.

WAD62
01-12-2016, 10:30
Does anyone else here have Sky Q installed, in conjunction with a 4K TV?

Sky engineer came today and set it all up, along with Sky Fibre Max for Internet and downloads... WOW, fookin' ell, the picture resolution of the movies on Sky Cinema, in Ultra-High Definition/Dolby Digital, is simply STUNNING! :eek: :wow: 'Being there' just about describes it! :thumbsup:

Still to watch the footy in UHD, so can't wait for that....:cool:

Also getting just under 80Mb per second with downloads, so that and general Internet usage is super-quick! So much better than the standard broadband we were on before from Talk Talk. Thoroughly recommended :)

Marco.
Hi Marco, I went the whole hog to sky Q silver, sports, and fibre max just before my knee operation in August (PCL reconstruction), to partner my 4K Panasonic 55" (CX802), as an aid to recuperation...with the silver package there's a sky Q mini, which gives one multi room albeit 1080p, so that's excellent for bedroom viewing.

As for my 'fiber' (there's copper in the chain), it is only 40Mb/s, however that's still plenty quick enough, downloads are view able within seconds.

The Panasonic TV is excellent, it was last years flagship, on sale for less than half price, with a quad core processor it's up-scaling and picture enhancement of HD to 4k is surprisingly good, but assigning the up-scaling to the Q box gives even better results. As it's a smart TV, and connected to fiber, 'Youtube' etc is available in full resolution...This snap of a '4K Psychedelic Tunnel' video doesn't do it justice!

...you'll also see that I needed a large TV to match the speakers!, well that was my excuse to the missus ;)

At the moment the UHD content is limited, all premiership matches are available in UHD, with one downside no 'live pause' etc., for that one has to return to the HD channel...I'd suggest this is for security rather than technical reasons, as other UHD content (via a UHD box set menu), can be played as normal.

Although sky's UHD is apparently compressed the images are stunning, motion and panning across a football match feel very natural, probably the most difficult task for any TV, and the resolution is incredible.

I treated myself to the Revenant in UHD from the sky store, it really deserves to be seen at this resolution...:cool:

Marco
01-12-2016, 10:41
Should be like going from dvd to bluray. No contest for most things.

Yeah, that's a good description :)

Basically, everything just looks so much more 'real'.

Marco.

Marco
01-12-2016, 10:50
Hi Will,

Hi Marco, I went the whole hog to sky Q silver, sports, and fibre max just before my knee operation in August (PCL reconstruction), to partner my 4K Panasonic 55" (CX802), as an aid to recuperation...with the silver package there's a sky Q mini, which gives one multi room albeit 1080p, so that's excellent for bedroom viewing.

That must be what I've got too, as it came with another 'hub', which is situated in our bedroom. Nice having access to all the benefits of 'Q', whilst wrapped up all cosy in bed! Perfect for those long winter nights :eyebrows:

The Panasonic TV is excellent, it was last years flagship, on sale for less than half price, with a quad core processor it's up-scaling and picture enhancement of HD to 4k is surprisingly good, but assigning the up-scaling to the Q box gives even better results. As it's a smart TV, and connected to fiber, 'Youtube' etc is available in full resolution...This snap of a '4K Psychedelic Tunnel' video doesn't do it justice!

...you'll also see that I needed a large TV to match the speakers!, well that was my excuse to the missus ;)

Ha - looks great, mate!

Although sky's UHD is apparently compressed the images are stunning, motion and panning across a football match feel very natural, probably the most difficult task for any TV, and the resolution is incredible.

That's also what I'm finding. If this is "compressed", then bring on the compression! :eyebrows:

I treated myself to the Revenant in UHD from the sky store, it really deserves to be seen at this resolution...

Lol - I did the same thing. Superb film, and like you say a great advert for UHD!! :thumbsup:

Marco.

WAD62
01-12-2016, 10:55
Lol - I did the same thing. Superb film, and like you say a great advert for UHD!! :thumbsup:

Marco.

...you could almost smell the bear's breath!!! :eek:

Marco
01-12-2016, 11:32
I know - man that was one scarily realistic scene!!! :eek:

I almost felt as if it was me being mauled by that bear....

Marco.

User211
01-12-2016, 12:34
Beg, borrow, steal or simply buy a 55 or 65 inch LG OLED, Marco.

Then calibrate it properly - do some Googling. Sky Q will come into its own, then. Prices have dropped a lot and 55 inchers are within reasonable money, I think.

Adam D
01-12-2016, 12:42
I bought a 50" Panasonic AX800 2 years ago.

It's a lovely looking television and does a great job of upscaling good quality source material (some blu rays look lovely on it - Red Dog and San Andreas come to mind).

The lack of 4K content niggles me though.

WAD62
01-12-2016, 12:49
I know - man that was one scarily realistic scene!!! :eek:

Indeed...:eyebrows:

One other benefit of moving to Q/Fibre is that it forced me to relocate the new Q router into my living room, where the main telephone socket is, in order to gain max capacity.

So now my main Q box is hard wired to one of the router's ethernet ports, the other one (why are there only 2?) I've expanded with one of these...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002YPJ8KM/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

...from that I feed the TV, Blu-Ray, a TP-Link 500 power plug, and my SBTouch!!! which I've now modded to deactivate the wifi.

My other 2 Squeezebox clients (pi & classic), and LMS Server/NAS are now hardwired in vie more TP-Links, which seem to work very well in my house...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00D8BGLMY/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So now the wifi bandwidth is purely for the Q mini, and portable devices...at 39Mb/s :)

A word of warning Marco even though the Q mini has an ethernet socket it doesn't like being hard wired, as I found out to my cost, doing so stops both the main Q and mini from acting as wifi 'hotspots'...apparently this socket may be for use at a later date.

User211
01-12-2016, 13:00
Apparently not, as I can clearly appreciate the difference with a 43-incher, as it were... ;)

Marco.

What is it exactly? Is it really UHD compliant? How far are you sitting away from it?

Marco
01-12-2016, 15:29
43" version of this: https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/televisions/xd8305-series

Marco.

Marco
01-12-2016, 15:33
Beg, borrow, steal or simply buy a 55 or 65 inch LG OLED, Marco.

Then calibrate it properly - do some Googling. Sky Q will come into its own, then. Prices have dropped a lot and 55 inchers are within reasonable money, I think.

No room on the wall, mate, for anything bigger here than max 49". And we're not ones for TVs dominating a room, especially in a traditional 19th century lodge house. Besides, I'm totally delighted with what I've got and have no intention of changing this TV until it breaks!

It's not that long ago we had a CRT in here, so TV 'box swappers', continually chasing the 'latest great thing' we ain't :nono: :eyebrows:

Marco.

User211
01-12-2016, 16:59
Shame UHD really is for bigger screens and OLEDs are totally spanking.

Oh well you seem happy so smile, smile, smile and enjoy!:)

Marco
01-12-2016, 17:29
I am indeed, mate. What you have to bear in mind is that sometimes compromises have to be made with something, between what's 'ideal' and what's practical and/or sympathetic to the environment in which it occupies.

Having a huge modern-looking TV dominating a 'country cottage' style room, otherwise adorned with antiques and bric-a-brac, isn't in our opinion, aesthetically pleasing, so a compromise is made between ultimate performance and practicality.

Ultimately we'd rather our inglenook fireplace and wood burner was the main focal point of the room, than a huge slab of mass-produced plastic! :eyebrows:;)

YMMV :)

Marco.

Gazjam
01-12-2016, 18:56
So when's the 120" projector coming in? :)

Look into it Marco, seriously.
You like yer movies...?
Discrete box on the ceiling at the back of the room and keep your new telly not wasting the room aesthetic.

Enjoy that setup everyday of the week...but but for movie night..?
Lights off...Hit a button on the remote control the projection screen unrolls, 4K projector comes on and you have a better experience than your local cinema.

All done?
Hit a button and the big screen vanishes out of sight.

Its the way forward. :)

Marco
01-12-2016, 19:07
Ha - love it! I was actually thinking of doing that upstairs in the music room, and dropping the screen down between the Tannoys, with the projector situated on the wall behind the sofa where I sit... It would mainly be used for high-quality music videos, just to add to the 'being there' experience :eyebrows::D

But for the lounge, and the vibe we like to create in there mate, what's going on now is plenty! :cool:

Marco.

Gazjam
01-12-2016, 19:33
Cool and the Gang.

Just sayin' as (seriously) the aesthetic side of things wont be impacted AT ALL with a projector setup and the "wee box room" upstairs wont do justice to a projector based home cinema setup.

Like everything I guess, you know whats important to you and you stick by it.
S'all good. :)

WAD62
01-12-2016, 19:35
So when's the 120" projector coming in? :)

Look into it Marco, seriously.
You like yer movies...?
Discrete box on the ceiling at the back of the room and keep your new telly not wasting the room aesthetic.

Enjoy that setup everyday of the week...but but for movie night..?
Lights off...Hit a button on the remote control the projection screen unrolls, 4K projector comes on and you have a better experience than your local cinema.

All done?
Hit a button and the big screen vanishes out of sight.

Its the way forward. :)
Agreed Gaz, although I use a £2.50 walking stick to pull the screen down :)

Until I got the my 55" Panasonic 4K, I used a combination of a 42" 1080p Panasonic plasma for sports, and a Sanyo HD (720p) projector for movies etc. (the screen pulls down over the TV between the speakers) just having your field of vision filled is tremendous.

Ultimately I'd like to go down the projector route again, but to compete with the colours, contrast, and resolution of the 55" panasonic is going to require a large investment, so I'll wait until good 4K projectors are a little more affordable...the screen's still in place, along with my 15m chord HDMI cable ;)

Marco
01-12-2016, 19:37
Lol... All points noted, Gaz. The "wee box room" though (actually bigger than you might think) is nice and intimate, and with the Tannoys at the business end of the system, I think the results would be rather 'entertaining' to say the least - certainly no need for a sub! :eyebrows:

Marco.

Gazjam
01-12-2016, 20:20
"Compact and bijou" is cool..but when it comes to AV it goes all American!

Commenting "knowingly" as moviewise I now and agsin watch movies with my VR headet (dont laugh...equivalent of 150"+) and you cant beat the big screen experiece.
Projectors the way to go imo.

Marco
01-12-2016, 20:45
"Compact and bijou" is cool..but when it comes to AV it goes all American!

Commenting "knowingly" as moviewise I now and agsin watch movies with my VR headet (dont laugh...equivalent of 150"+) and you cant beat the big screen experiece.
Projectors the way to go imo.

Sure, I get that, but even at the cinema, I prefer the smaller halls to the bigger ones, even though they all feature the same size of screens. I'm just not a 'sitting in a big room' kind of guy. I prefer my surroundings to reflect a feeling of cosiness and intimacy, no matter what I'm doing. That's just me, and Del's the same :)

When you see pics of these modern open-plan rooms, filled with glass and huge expanses of space, in some of the house programmes on TV, they just turn me cold!

Marco.

Gazjam
01-12-2016, 20:59
Trust your gut mate. ..only thing that matters is how you n yours feel.
Others may have their own point of view and that ok too.

Marco
01-12-2016, 21:07
Absolutely - it'd be a very boring world if we were all the same! :exactly:

Marco.

Stryder5
01-12-2016, 22:24
Is that legal though, Gary? If not, I'm afraid we'll have to delete your post.

Marco.

Feel free to delete it, I wouldn't want to bring the forum into disrepute, however it's a grey area.

Buying set top boxes of this nature is entirely legal.

I have read all the relevant data, and I am confident in my position.

Court of Justice of the European Union have deemed it legal, period.

Marco
01-12-2016, 22:29
Feel free to delete it, I wouldn't want to bring the forum into disrepute, however it's a grey area.

Ok, let's take no chances, as it's very easy to get into trouble with these things, sorry! :)

Marco.

Stryder5
01-12-2016, 22:31
Is that legal though, Gary? If not, I'm afraid we'll have to delete your post.

Marco.

Court of Justice of the European Union have deemed it legal.

Audio Al
02-12-2016, 12:11

Marco.

What has your height got to do with it Marco?:scratch:

Marco
02-12-2016, 12:18
Nah, that's the girth of my bell-end! :eyebrows:

Marco.

struth
02-12-2016, 12:28
Boaster, boaster........:D

loveoscar
02-12-2016, 20:46
Well just read through this thread, and since I've been living abroad for the last 9yrs I really knew nothing about Sky. Anyway having recently moved into a flat I needed broadband and by chance went into Carphonewarehouse and they had a special deal, £16.31 per month for Sky tv and internet. Its been installed now for about a month and its one of those new Q boxes, and although I only have a Sony Bravia 32" HD its fine for me. I will say the Q box and router do get hot, just checked them when reading this thread. Don't have the sport so watching the snooker via BBC2 red button now.

Zoidburg
02-12-2016, 21:29
I've had sky q installed about 6 weeks ago after 4 years with virgin tv and fire. Iv stayed with virgin for fibre as is its far better IMHO than other options. However iv got to say the new q boxes are great, they're so much easier to use than virgin's offering with a far nicer interface. I love the fact i can watch recorded programmes on both boxes and dont need wires connecting them either. I can't say I've noticed any huge upgrade in picture quality on my 3 yr old lcd panel but I'm very happy anyway.

Marco
04-12-2016, 09:22
Well just read through this thread, and since I've been living abroad for the last 9yrs I really knew nothing about Sky. Anyway having recently moved into a flat I needed broadband and by chance went into Carphonewarehouse and they had a special deal, £16.31 per month for Sky tv and internet. Its been installed now for about a month and its one of those new Q boxes, and although I only have a Sony Bravia 32" HD its fine for me. I will say the Q box and router do get hot, just checked them when reading this thread. Don't have the sport so watching the snooker via BBC2 red button now.

Cool - enjoy :cool:

Marco.

Marco
04-12-2016, 09:35
However iv got to say the new q boxes are great, they're so much easier to use than virgin's offering with a far nicer interface. I love the fact i can watch recorded programmes on both boxes and dont need wires connecting them either.

Nice one, Ben :)

Yup, that's a good point, and one not so far discussed. The new menu/interface in particular I find is much more intuitive than the old one, and you can access specific areas of interest much more quickly. I love the easy access to the likes of Sky Cinema and how films recorded in UHD have their own individual section, for quick and easy selection.

Get yourself a 4K compatible TV, and you'll easily see the upgrade in picture quality :cool:

Marco.

Macca
04-12-2016, 10:16
Well just read through this thread, and since I've been living abroad for the last 9yrs I really knew nothing about Sky. Anyway having recently moved into a flat I needed broadband and by chance went into Carphonewarehouse and they had a special deal, £16.31 per month for Sky tv and internet..

That is a good deal. I've been with Virgin for 20 years so of course I get screwed. Don't know how much I pay now, I'd rather not look. Just can't be arsed to knock heads with some call-centre wallah to re-negotiate it. It works, that does for me.

Tony Moore
04-12-2016, 10:29
Indeed...:eyebrows:

So now the wifi bandwidth is purely for the Q mini, and portable devices...at 39Mb/s :)

A word of warning Marco even though the Q mini has an ethernet socket it doesn't like being hard wired, as I found out to my cost, doing so stops both the main Q and mini from acting as wifi 'hotspots'...apparently this socket may be for use at a later date.

I binned Sky over a year ago (after being a customer for 20+ years) and went over to TalkTalk, only to be very disappointed with the TalkTalk box (very clunky and slow, sooo far behind Sky's HD box) and lack of actual content really. So I caved in and went for the 50% 1 year offer on Sky Q with an additional mini box. As others have said the picture quality is actually better than the Sky HD box on the same TV and the menu system very intuitive and slick. But what really pulled me back in was the multiroom features.

The Sky engineer thought that the mini box _had_ to work over wifi (it's own mesh, not my wifi). However, the mini will work fully wired, you just have to initially bind it to the main Q box and then in the mini's menu turn off wireless. It then connects via the wired ethernet port (assuming I guess your main Q is also on wired, I haven't tried it with the main Q on wireless) This is just as well as in our house there was no way that Sky's wireless would reach to where it was required. (I have other wifi hotspots for that purpose for mobile devices, connected to the wired ports I had put in each room when the house was re-wired) But, yes , I would agree, you have to forego the Sky wireless repeater function if you go wired.

WAD62
04-12-2016, 15:37
I love the fact i can watch recorded programmes on both boxes and dont need wires connecting them either. I can't say I've noticed any huge upgrade in picture quality on my 3 yr old lcd panel but I'm very happy anyway.

You can also watch everything from the sky Q app on your tablet or smartphone, and can download content for offline viewing...:)

What resolution is your TV (HD Ready, Full HD, or 4K), and what output resolution is your Q box set to?

Marco
05-12-2016, 20:16
You can also watch everything from the sky Q app on your tablet or smartphone, and can download content for offline viewing...

I know, and if I had a tablet or smartphone I'd use it! :eyebrows:

However, it's a decent reason for getting one of them, probably a tablet, as I have little real use for a smartphone. I'm an 'at home' laptop kinda guy :)

Marco.

WAD62
06-12-2016, 15:49
I know, and if I had a tablet or smartphone I'd use it! :eyebrows:

However, it's a decent reason for getting one of them, probably a tablet, as I have little real use for a smartphone. I'm an 'at home' laptop kinda guy :)

Marco.

Well worth getting a tablet Marco...

I was going to suggest an Amazon Fire, as they're ridiculously good value, due to being an Amazon 'loss leader', unfortunately either Amazon or Sky have blocked the deal, however all other Android tablets and phones are compatible from 4.1 onwards...along with some over valued fruit based products ;)

https://www.sky.com/help/articles/sky-q-app-supported-devices#!sleek-nav-109974594f-android

We use Samsung notes, however probably overkill for just viewing sky Q...

EDIT; Another little gotcha...

The Sky Q app isn't supported on rooted Android and jailbroken Apple devices ...so the fire is not an option even if 'rooted'

Roy S
06-12-2016, 16:13
That is a good deal. I've been with Virgin for 20 years so of course I get screwed. Don't know how much I pay now, I'd rather not look. Just can't be arsed to knock heads with some call-centre wallah to re-negotiate it. It works, that does for me.

I'm with Virgin & on a friends advice I called them & picked the menu option for 'thinking of leaving', just told the fella I wanted to pay less & got a tenner off my monthly bill without really trying :)

WAD62
05-03-2018, 14:35
At last looks like sky are to bite the HDR bullet, no announcement as to which format...

https://www.forbes.com/sites/johnarcher/2018/02/27/sky-q-to-get-hdr-and-spotify-as-well-as-twice-as-much-4k/#5ab0f1f27828

Pieoftheday
05-03-2018, 19:20
I'm with Virgin & on a friends advice I called them & picked the menu option for 'thinking of leaving', just told the fella I wanted to pay less & got a tenner off my monthly bill without really trying :)

I won't touch Virgin as they stuck one of their big grey boxes outside our house with no communication, they ignored all emails and calls ,bunch of xxxx's:)