PDA

View Full Version : Need a R2R....

aquapiranha
12-12-2009, 19:39
I have just been given some 7" tapes. Moody Blues, Beatles and Mike Oldifeld in concert 1974 among others. All are not pre-recorded, so I have no way of telling if the quality is any good!

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb256/aquapiranha/Photo0026-1.jpg

Alex_UK
12-12-2009, 19:44
How exciting - all those various tapes full of surprises!! Have fun & good luck finding a player!

The Vinyl Adventure
12-12-2009, 19:46
Yeah, that's gonna be a load of fun! I'd love to have an excuse to litter my lounge with a r2r of some sort!

aquapiranha
12-12-2009, 19:49
they could all be rubbish! I do not know what they were recorded from at all. I do not even know what type of machine uses these tapes!

Rare Bird
12-12-2009, 19:57
I have just been given some 7" tapes. Moody Blues, Beatles and Mike Oldifeld in concert 1974 among others. All are not pre-recorded, so I have no way of telling if the quality is any good!

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb256/aquapiranha/Photo0026-1.jpg

Those Grey & White hard plastic Agfa/Scotch cases are sought after now, i had tons of em..

aquapiranha
12-12-2009, 20:00
There is another smaller box with some more tapes without boxes, a couple of basic looking Akai mics and a demagnetizer that is a 110V model.

Rare Bird
12-12-2009, 20:01
they could all be rubbish! I do not know what they were recorded from at all. I do not even know what type of machine uses these tapes!

Any open reel machine which will play 1/4' tapes. may be recorded at 3.75 or 7.5ips! hopefully the latter for better sound..

Beechwoods
12-12-2009, 20:03
:stalks::stalks:

Mike Oldfield 'In Concert 1974' is likely to be excellent! His '2nd House' live performance on BBC 2 from around that time featured Steve Hillage, Mike Ratledge from Soft Machine, Viv Stanshall - a fantastic lineup.

My experience of these old tapes is that they are often very listenable. People recording on R-R back in the day, especially those who catalogued and saved their recordings like these, tended to take care of the way they did things.

If you're interested, I'd be up for attempting a transfer of the Oldfield reel & the Simon & Garfunkel one... just hear what was on them! How well labelled are the contents of the other reels...?? ;)

Rare Bird
12-12-2009, 20:06
:stalks::stalks:

Mike Oldfield 'In Concert 1974' is likely to be excellent! His '2nd House' live performance on BBC 2 from around that time featured Steve Hillage, Mike Ratledge from Soft Machine, Viv Stanshall - a fantastic lineup.

As you mentioned Hillage.. Wasnt Oldfield & his brother on Gong's 'Downwind' album even though hillage had nothing to do with it, just jogged mi memory..

Beechwoods
12-12-2009, 20:09
He was definitely on the Pierre Moerlen's Gong Live album from a little later, and did some nice guitar on it as I recall. I do enjoy that phase of the Gong family evolution...

aquapiranha
12-12-2009, 20:13
Hi Nick. The tapes seem to have just the titles on the box and a single label on the reel. There are also what appear to be tiny reels made by Scotch called syncrotape in small cardboard boxes. They are 3" tapes without any labels. I may well take you up on your generous offer, as I have no way of playing these tapes though I was toying with the idea of a R2R a while ago

EDIT just found one labelled 'Monty Python' the mind boggles.

Beechwoods
12-12-2009, 20:15
It wouldn't be any trouble - definitely what I would call fun, so no worries ;) :lol: And when you find yourself the proud owner of a reel to reel you could compare the transfers with playback on your own machine and see how they compared!

:rave:

Rare Bird
12-12-2009, 20:17
He was definitely on the Pierre Moerlen's Gong Live album from a little later, and did some nice guitar on it as I recall. I do enjoy that phase of the Gong family evolution...

Aye it's a complex evolution pretty much as complex as Hawkwind (Well not as much)..I do & i don't like Gong after the departure of Daevid Allen..I know which album you mean, the 'Pierre Moerlen's Gong Live' album..

Rare Bird
12-12-2009, 20:20
Hi Nick. The tapes seem to have just the titles on the box and a single label on the reel. There are also what appear to be tiny reels made by Scotch called syncrotape in small cardboard boxes. They are 3" tapes without any labels. I may well take you up on your generous offer, as I have no way of playing these tapes though I was toying with the idea of a R2R a while ago

EDIT just found one labelled 'Monty Python' the mind boggles.

The Monty Pythons could be any of the dozen or so albums that got released..

aquapiranha
12-12-2009, 20:24
spam spam spam spam.....

Rare Bird
12-12-2009, 21:03
spam spam spam spam.....

From 'Another Monty Python Record' 1971

DSJR
12-12-2009, 21:34
DON'T buy an Akai 4000D *anything* IMO as they hiss like beggary.. The better Akai and Sony models were rather better, although revox had the sales over here...

Cheapish - Sony TC377

Better and affordable/servicable - Revox A77

Best bet overall and still affordable Revox B77

If you don't know a huge amount about reel-to-reel (and I've forgotten so much in the forty years I've had this obsession), the above machines will be fine (A77's can fail their presets which crumble if adjusted too much). I also love the Ferrograph LOGIC 7 (the super 7 etc are cruder in use). Much as I admire the Technics 1500 with 2 and 4 track playback, it was regarded as gimmiky back then - a shame.....

Hope this helps a tiny bit.

Rare Bird
12-12-2009, 22:32
Aye dave those Akai 4000D arnt good, my dads got three, they sound muffled to me..The GX4000 was better but i still don't like..I think i'd recommend the Revox 'PR99' as i had quite a lot of reliable fun with that, sounded better than the 'B77' obviously, but aye the Logic 7's a beauty, but then again i have seen cases of the Logic controls fail on em. Suppuse the Akai's with the glass ferrite heads would be ok if not used in a serious listerning situation..

Tascam BR20 a nice one too but expensivo

aquapiranha
12-12-2009, 22:32
Thanks Dave et al. i was hoping to get a R2R a while ago, but I will have to wait until I have enough funds for a decent one - I don't want to get the first cheap thing that comes along. I have ogled the revox's on ebay, though I would not have been too sure about an japanese ones but I will look out for those mentioned, cheers.

Rare Bird
12-12-2009, 22:37
Thanks Dave et al. i was hoping to get a R2R a while ago, but I will have to wait until I have enough funds for a decent one - I don't want to get the first cheap thing that comes along. I have ogled the revox's on ebay, though I would not have been too sure about an japanese ones but I will look out for those mentioned, cheers.

When you do & especially 10.5'' reels, rewind & fast forward the machine with fully loaded reels each way you wind, look out for sloppy or slow start..

aquapiranha
12-12-2009, 22:41
When you do & especially 10.5'' reels, rewind & fast forward the machine with fully loaded reels each way you wind look at for sloppy or slow start..

:)

DSJR
13-12-2009, 10:51
Aye it's a complex evolution pretty much as complex as Hawkwind (Well not as much)..I do & i don't like Gong after the departure of Daevid Allen..I know which album you mean, the 'Pierre Moerlen's Gong Live' album..

Perhaps not for you Andre, but I love PM's Gong "Time is The key." The forst few tracks seem to flow together as a whole and the LP was a good cut too IMO..

I've also followed Mr Hillage and Miquette (of the synthy twiddly bits and sexy French voice) Giraudy into their System 7 projects. The last release "Phoenix" actually had some decent guitar riffs too :eek::lol:

bigmoog
13-12-2009, 12:01
Perhaps not for you Andre, but I love PM's Gong "Time is The key." The forst few tracks seem to flow together as a whole and the LP was a good cut too IMO..

I've also followed Mr Hillage and Miquette (of the synthy twiddly bits and sexy French voice) Giraudy into their System 7 projects. The last release "Phoenix" actually had some decent guitar riffs too :eek::lol:

agreed Time is the Key is a beautiful slice of jazzrock-in my top 10 alltime top 10, awesome bass on this on my record reproduction apparatus.

DSJR
13-12-2009, 15:13
You're gonna need a reel-to-reel to play them Manor Sessions tapes on, eh BM??????? :lol: (psst, Edgar, this one has 'em :D)

bigmoog
13-12-2009, 18:53
You're gonna need a reel-to-reel to play them Manor Sessions tapes on, eh BM??????? :lol: (psst, Edgar, this one has 'em :D)

zzzzzzzzzzz:ner:zzzzzzzzzzzz

must dash, I need to fettle my kettle:cool:

Rare Bird
13-12-2009, 19:15

The thing is it's staright forward music, no far out weird time change shit going on you see, it's all too simple music for me..You know what i mean..Simplicty = Repetative IMHO

Rare Bird
13-12-2009, 19:16

At your service i have the gong Manor tapes recording

DSJR
13-12-2009, 19:26
Andre, this is top secret TeeDee stuff, ok, an old joke that backfired at the time.....

If you like deliberately difficult prog, try my cousin-in-law - Martin Hawks aka Evans aka MH progressive on MySpace and facebook I think. His music is full of "intellectual" key and tempo changes - you'll like it I think as VDH Generator was an early influence along with many others from this era...

Rare Bird
13-12-2009, 19:41
you'll like it I think as VDH Generator was an early influence along with many others from this era...

Was Van Den Hul the same geezer as Van De Graaf then :lol:

DSJR
13-12-2009, 19:59
Groan........... ;)

Rare Bird
13-12-2009, 20:03
:lolsign: