PDA

View Full Version : Black Friday - Vile Consumerism?

Puffin
25-11-2016, 09:58
Vile Consumerism?

You no doubt have seen last years footage of the "shoppers" trampling over at each other at an ASDA store desperate to get what they perceived to be "bargains". The "got to have" lemmings.

Is anyone with me on this, or do you think that it is an opportunity to get something you really need at a fantastic price?

brian2957
25-11-2016, 10:00
I'm with you Rob . I'll just sit and relax and watch all the comings and goings from the comfort of my chair :)

Tim
25-11-2016, 10:10
This will be the third #BuyNothingDay for me, the whole thing is obscene. Mass consumerism hyped and ramped up by corporations, getting people to buy goods they don't really need which in turn is gradually killing the planet. Very sad.

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

struth
25-11-2016, 10:13
Its fair enough if you are after something and get a chance of it cheaper. I wouldnt be fighting in the shop door for it though. Online you get plenty offers too.
I wont be buying anything at moment.

Barry
25-11-2016, 10:13
I refuse to have anything to do with it. It's nothing more than a cynical sales pitch.

Another insidious American practice that is contributing to the degradation and sullying of the whole Christmas spirit.

Scooby
25-11-2016, 10:25
Another American plague AFAIC. I still remember the days before we were infected with "trick or treat". How long before we get Thanksgiving or perhaps "Trump Day"?

Audio Al
25-11-2016, 11:42
Marco will be on the telly tonight ;)

With a new LCDHD4Gcurvedscreen for the Brabus :)

dave2010
25-11-2016, 12:10
I did buy one Chromecast Audio for £15.

Otherwise I think it's hyped up madness, and there are very few good deals that I can see this year. I've not been out (well not more than 50 yards) today yet - and there are no shops nearby.

Black Friday: Is it still a big deal for High Streets?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-37922978

Macca
25-11-2016, 12:28
It's a bit tragic but it is hardly the end of civilisation. I find the footage of them fighting over the bargains quite funny to be honest.

I've bought a couple of things on Amazon prime, but they're not for me.

Marco
25-11-2016, 13:23
It's a bit tragic... I find the footage of them fighting over the bargains quite funny to be honest.

Indeed, so do I, in a 'Let's laugh at the pathetic materialistic-obsessed cretins our greedy and selfish society has created' kind of way.... I've told you before, mate, that's what you get when mongrels continue breeding mongrels! ;)

A vulgar obscenity, ably showcasing the human race today for what it is, doesn't even begin to describe this "Black Friday" nonsense, with idiots fighting over 'bargains' they seemingly can't live without. It's as shameful as it is risible.

Marco.

dave2010
26-11-2016, 13:19
I know it's all sad and disgusting really, but ...

I noticed that officially Amazon have finished there BF event - only to be followed by BF Reloaded!

OTOH, just noticed an email from Zavvi (remember them?) in my inbox, and it looks as though they have quite a number of Blu Ray box sets at good prices - which might do as Christmas presents for some family members.

http://www.zavvi.com/home.dept

Also Now TV have some Sky passes at 25% of the normal prices - http://www.nowtv.com/home/new?referrer=nowtvpass&DCMP=KNC-Brand-nowtvpass-Core-NOWTV-NC-Google&gclid=CJHI_9XBxtACFekp0wodx04MSA

You don't have to participate if you don't want to.

Joe
26-11-2016, 14:38
Black Friday's not something I give much thought to, really, apart from the plethora of emails alerting me to bargains I must not miss, and forums threads like this telling me how awful the lower classes are and how they should be prevented from breeding, which seems a bit of an over-reaction to a bit of squabbling over bargain TVs. There used to be similar scenes at our local jumble sales when I was a nipper.

Macca
26-11-2016, 15:14
Whilst I agree with your general thrust regarding eugenic solutions, I must say that I can't recall ever seeing anything exciting happen at a jumble sale, summer fete, or indeed at any of the Victorian social relics that masqueraded as 'something to do' back in our youth.

Joe
26-11-2016, 15:26
Whilst I agree with your general thrust regarding eugenic solutions, I must say that I can't recall ever seeing anything exciting happen at a jumble sale, summer fete, or indeed at any of the Victorian social relics that masqueraded as 'something to do' back in our youth.

That's because you never had to act as 'Norman the Doorman' at the Sacred Heart RC church/school jumble sales in the mid '60s. As soon as the doors were opened, the hordes of Catholic mothers (and probably a few Prod intruders) burst in, shoving each other aside for a not-to-be-missed pair of cast-off curtains or some such. I remember my mother coming home once, battered but victorious, clutching an absolutely hideous pair of vases that my father hid in the cupboard under the stairs for years. There was nowhere else to put them, as they were too big for any of our mantelpieces, but too small to be floorstanding. I sometimes wonder what happened to them (the vases, not the parents).

In the early '70s. me and my brother got beaten up by a gang of skinheads at the church garden fete.

I also got nearly trampled underfoot on the opening day of a Harrods' sale in the late '70s, and actually did get pushed into a couple of posh old ladies who thought I was the one desperate to get to the bargains. I made my escape without buying anything, and have never been back there since.

Macca
26-11-2016, 15:40
That's because you never had to act as 'Norman the Doorman' at the Sacred Heart RC church/school jumble sales in the mid '60s. As soon as the doors were opened, the hordes of Catholic mothers (and probably a few Prod intruders) burst in, shoving each other aside for a not-to-be-missed pair of cast-off curtains or some such. I remember my mother coming home once, battered but victorious, clutching an absolutely hideous pair of vases that my father hid in the cupboard under the stairs for years. There was nowhere else to put them, as they were too big for any of our mantelpieces, but too small to be floorstanding. I sometimes wonder what happened to them (the vases, not the parents).

In the early '70s. me and my brother got beaten up by a gang of skinheads at the church garden fete.

I also got nearly trampled underfoot on the opening day of a Harrods' sale in the late '70s, and actually did get pushed into a couple of posh old ladies who thought I was the one desperate to get to the bargains. I made my escape without buying anything, and have never been back there since.

I guess by my time all those dreadnought-class old ladies were dead and the skins had grown their hair and got proper jobs.

Marco
26-11-2016, 16:33
...and forums threads like this telling me how awful the lower classes are and how they should be prevented from breeding.

What makes you assume that those fighting over Black Friday 'bargains' were from the lower classes? Some of the biggest 'bargain hunters' I know are toffs - and many of those don't improve the gene pool either!

I also got nearly trampled underfoot on the opening day of a Harrods' sale in the late '70s, and actually did get pushed into a couple of posh old ladies who thought I was the one desperate to get to the bargains.

I rest my case ;)

Marco.

Ninanina
26-11-2016, 19:12
I think it's a chance for retailers to get rid of their unwanted, outdated and/or poor selling stock ;)

Joe
27-11-2016, 08:05
What makes you assume that those fighting over Black Friday 'bargains' were from the lower classes? Some of the biggest 'bargain hunters' I know are toffs - and many of those don't improve the gene pool either!

Perhaps I read more into your 'mongrels breeding mongrels' remark than was intended. After all, we are all mongrels, myself and yourself included.