View Full Version : Onix

Rare Bird
12-12-2009, 09:26
Back on track i see..Yum Yum..I like the 'Classic' range...:stalks:

Donations please folks :)

http://www.onix-audio.co.uk/onix.htm

hifi_dave
14-12-2009, 20:39
According to another Forum, these products have very little to do with original Onix and is now a Chinese company.

anthonyTD
14-12-2009, 21:04
onix,
yes its a strange one at the moment, i was aproached a few months ago and asked if i would be interested in working with them, basicaly they were looking for a uk based designer that they could associate with the onix brand again.
A...

hifi_dave
14-12-2009, 21:25
To my mind it's very devious of these companies to be passing their products off as 'British' and with a pedigree when they're clearly not. If the products have merit then they should sell on that rather than iffy marketing.

Shouldn't there be some law or standards to prevent foreign companies passing themselves off as British ?

anthonyTD
14-12-2009, 21:39
To my mind it's very devious of these companies to be passing their products off as 'British' and with a pedigree when they're clearly not. If the products have merit then they should sell on that rather than iffy marketing.

Shouldn't there be some law or standards to prevent foreign companies passing themselves off as British ?
hi dave,
i agree, before i had even given them my answer i got a phone call from a reviewer asking me about a product that i was suposed to have been involved with!!!:doh:
needless to say i wasnt happy, i did get an appology, but have now decided that i wont be accepting their invitation any time soon.
A...

hifi_dave
14-12-2009, 22:47
Well done Anthony.

IMO we have too many companies passing themselves off as something they're not, simply by buying a well established name. I'm sure if they had any worth, their products would sell without the subterfuge.

Anyone care to name and shame ?

Rare Bird
15-12-2009, 00:23
Onix are not the same your right. Be an idea to open the history section on the link & read, i knew upto the Rogers..

ONIX Addict
15-01-2010, 10:16
Hi All! ;)

If some of you are interested in ONIX history, here are two threads on PFM, writen by Adam WORSFOLD, who owned ONIX (from 1986 to 1991), before the brand "declined" for the explained reasons...

thread 1 (http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=72653&page=2)

thread 2 (http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=73622)

Quite interesting, isn't it?

O.A. ;)

hifi_dave
15-01-2010, 10:48
It has happened and is still happening now. A small, successful, enthusiastic company making good, honest product is taken over by a large foreign company. They then manufacture product which bears little relationship to the original but looks similar and uses the well known name.

I suppose this is OK but what is so bad is that the new owners try to promote their product using the old reputation. If the new owners were capable of manufacturing good gear, surely they wouldn't need to poach the established name and reputation !!! It is devious and dishonest and (IMO) should be exposed as often as we can.

Haselsh1
15-01-2010, 12:49
Could this be the way Audiolab have gone...? I have noticed they now have a new identity under some sort of corporate bullshit banner and that all of their stuff is made in China...? I see that the parent corporate company is also now based in China.

hifi_dave
15-01-2010, 17:11
Yes, exactly. Audiolab morphed into TAG, which didn't work out too well and then the new Audiolab sprung up. I'm not too sure about the details and relationships here but TAG obviously retained their name.

Alex_UK
15-01-2010, 18:46
Could this be the way Audiolab have gone...? I have noticed they now have a new identity under some sort of corporate bullshit banner and that all of their stuff is made in China...? I see that the parent corporate company is also now based in China.

But Shaun - your old 8000M's were built under the Chinese ownership, in China, and they weren't bad, were they?

I agree with HiFi Dave though that it is the implication that really Onix etc. is just badge engineering now, and if not down right deceitful, at least misleading...

DSJR
15-01-2010, 21:04
When Tag took over Audiolab, the amps got an internal facelift as well as a restyle and were slightly better (the integrated CD player was a redesign). The price increases were excessive though and the new boss had a bit of a "reputation" in the other areas of the organisation he'd worked with. Long story and best forgotten I think.

The current stuff looks like the Tag updated innards restyled in the original way. Not a problem, as Chinese manufacture ensures dirt cheap ex-factory pricing, but the market has moved on and the current Cambridge designs are far more up-to-date IMO.

Rare Bird
17-01-2010, 10:47
When Tag took over Audiolab, the amps got an internal facelift as well as a restyle and were slightly better (the integrated CD player was a redesign). The price increases were excessive though and the new boss had a bit of a "reputation" in the other areas of the organisation he'd worked with. Long story and best forgotten I think.

I never liked Audiolab, i hated my 8000A..Lentek where where it's at, i didnt dislike any Lentek products. The MC headamp was one of the best back then without being silly.

The Grand Wazoo
17-01-2010, 14:16
Now........that Lentek integrated - that was a proper amp!!

Rare Bird
17-01-2010, 14:36
Now........that Lentek integrated - that was a proper amp!! Thats it you see it was all over when the idea of Audiolab came along.One design aspect you might notice was carried over to Audiolab was the control Knob design.Lentek was a beauty

The Grand Wazoo
18-01-2010, 00:41
I never heard of anyone dropping one on their foot & surviving!