PDA

View Full Version : greetings from South Africa

funcrusha
22-11-2016, 17:40
Hello AOS'ers. This is my post. My interest in DACs both new and old brought me here.

A little bit about me. I am equal part music lover and audiophile. I have an intense curiosity about music I haven't discovered but I also have my musical comfort foods, mainly 60s jazz, golden age hip hop, sweet soul and a little funk and Afrobeat.

My setup includes a Unison Research S6, WLM La Scala monitors, Rel Britannica B1. I love the sound of earlier Theta DACs but they're hard to come by in South Africa. I have an option to get the M2tech Young DAC and I am keen to hear from those who have had it, what I can expect from the Young.

I'm not rolling in dosh, so prefer to buy secondhand and demo.

Will pick up this in some of the existing threads.

'crusha

struth
22-11-2016, 17:51
Hi Eitan, welcome to the forum. Walpurgis, Geoff, like theta dacs... guess he will pop in for a welcome too. I dont use them at moment but used to have a few good un at one time(mostly American)

Have a read around digital expressions, as there is plenty info there.. also our own Stan Beresford makes a pretty mean Dac as well.

walpurgis
22-11-2016, 21:49
Hello Eitan. Welcome to AOS.

Grant is correct. I also like Theta DACs. Not heard one that didn't sound way better than the run of the mill. Even the little 'Cobalt' is nice. If you like those, check out the Monarchy Audio DACs too they are superb.

If you have any future plans for your system we'd like to hear about them.

Take a look around the site, there's plenty going on. And feel free to join in any chat that appeals to you.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Sovereign
22-11-2016, 22:27
Welcome Eiton

My wife is from Cape Town, I've been four times. Lovely place.
Welcome to AOS

funcrusha
23-11-2016, 07:13
Thanks for the warm welcomes, everybody :)

Grant is correct. I also like Theta DACs. Not heard one that didn't sound way better than the run of the mill. Even the little 'Cobalt' is nice. If you like those, check out the Monarchy Audio DACs too they are superb.

If you have any future plans for your system we'd like to hear about them.

[...]

Geoff.

Geoff, I had the fortune of having a friend's Theta DS Pro Gen III in my system and it sounded sublime. It had meaty bass, a generous soundstage, sufficient detail, but more importantly everything sounded well organised - just right, you could say. Unfortunately this wasn't for sale, but I tracked down a Theta DS Pro Basic III. Alas, it wasn't quite the same as the Gen III. It was a little more clinical sounding, and it didn't have quite the same charm as the older Gen.

I've also been cautioned by more than one person that because there's no support for Theta's legacy digital products, it can be a lottery purchasing one (unless on the cheap). Hence my looking at alternative, possibly newer DACs that match the Theta's for sonic character. I'll definitely read up on the Monarchy brand.

Eitan

Barry
27-11-2016, 00:26
Welcome to AoS Eitan,

Hope you find your ideal DAC soon.

Enjoy the Forum
Barry