PDA

View Full Version : Wee tweak - dont laugh...it worked!

Gazjam
11-12-2009, 01:12
Shifting about boxes on my equipment rack when I had a wee brainwave/brainfart...

Since losing the CD player I hadnt thought about equipment isolation for a quite a while and having a half hour to spare I had a wee think about it; was there anything I could do to make a difference?

Yes I was bored!

I had a couple of packets of THESE:
http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/caseaccessories/acoustifeet

lying around from a couple of PC builds I had done....and as they have vibration isolation/absorbing properties I wondered what they could do for my kit.

My equipment rack is a Stand Unique AV tower, glass shelves and wooden supports...and my Amp was sitting directly on a glass shelf.
I stuck 4 of these "sorbothane like" pads onto the feet of my amp and sat back to listen.

Improved left/right focus, better back to front soundstage..firmer bass, more space around instruments...
Quite a good wee improvement, and very noticeable!

I suspect maybe vibrations were getting back in to the casework of the amp through the glass shelf and affected the amps perfomance somehow?
I dunno, just know it sounds better.

I stuck another 3 of em under my 7520 Dac....just cos I could. :)

Overall...an improvement in focus and enjoyment of the music - noticed it the next day too so I didnt imagine it.

Not bad for next to nowt!

:)

DSJR
11-12-2009, 08:27
You've given me ideas... many thanks indeed!!!! :)

Spectral Morn
11-12-2009, 10:09
Those look interesting.

I found the Beresford 7510 to benefit quite a bit from isolation. As the 7520 case looks similar, if not the same I would expect it too to benefit from these sorts of tweaks.

Thanks Gazjam for the write up and link.

Regards D S D L

Getgaff
14-12-2009, 18:13
My DIY isolation platform:

http://i665.photobucket.com/albums/vv12/Getgaff/SBCaiman.jpg

2 x Tescos finest granite tablemats
3 x Sorbothane feet from this chap: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/moonshine7/index.htm

A noticable improvement - firmer bass, elevated treble, better separation. Well worth doing for the few quid it costs.

Alex_UK
14-12-2009, 21:23

3 x Sorbothane feet from this chap: http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/moonshine7/index.htm

A noticable improvement - firmer bass, elevated treble, better separation. Well worth doing for the few quid it costs.

Ooooh - I didn't think about using them BOTH! Nice one!

Gazjam
15-12-2009, 09:51
You got anything in between the slabs?

Blue-tak works well to "couple" the slabs together and add mass...

Can deaded the sound though, so maybe something squishy between them (to isolate) might work out better - system dependant of course.

Watch what your doing though....its to easy to get Mana-ised with this stuff!

Gonna nip down to Tescos today and pick a couple up - fit under the dac very nice.
I've just the squishy feet sittingunder the Dac casework - shold improve things even better.

My SB3 sits on the Dac same as yours GetGaf...top tip mate, thanks!

mercury1 (trolling as Dave K)
15-12-2009, 10:20
Don't know whether I'm stating the obvious guys but these marble slabs can be readily and neatly cut to size with one of those electric tile cutters with a 'diamond' wheel (use plenty of water in the reservoir and don't force it), and yes, I am speking from personal experience. Can make everything look much neater.

Getgaff
15-12-2009, 13:26
You got anything in between the slabs?
I've not added anything in between. The second slab was applied purely to add mass to the bottom 'isolating' slab. The 3 sorbothane feet required a combined minimum weight of 3kgs, so a 2nd slab seemed the easiest way to gain weight.

Marco
15-12-2009, 15:08
Guys ('mercury 1' and 'Getgaff),

Welcome to AoS :)

Have I missed it or have you both posted in the Welcome area and introduced yourself, giving a proper first name and basic location - ('Getgaff' is excluded from the last requirement) and the system you use, along with your taste in music? This is part of the procedure necessary to be a member of our community.

Therefore, if you haven't done so already, I'd be obliged if you started a new welcome thread as soon as you get a chance.

Cheers! :cool:

Marco.

mercury1 (trolling as Dave K)
15-12-2009, 18:35
Just in case anyone is interested, Morrison's Supermarket have black granite chopping boards, 400mm x 300mm x 12mm, on special offer, £2 below marked price of £9.99, i.e. £7.99 each. All faces except the bottom are polished and the bottom has 6 thin rubber(y) pads to avoid damage to worktops.
Will post in welcome area shortly.

Marco
15-12-2009, 19:17

Cheers, dude.... Love your avatar, btw! :)

Marco.

Shanedudddy2
16-12-2009, 02:38
I dont see how any of this would improve the sound in anyway, care to explain?

Gazjam
16-12-2009, 14:25

I went to Tesco and got a couple of these slabs (£6.40 for two) yesterday and stuck them under the Beresford.

I can say that YES this tweak absolutley works.
Basically the sound tightened up a lot, more stuff "between the notes" if you know what I mean..better involvement?
The sound is more relaxed, yet more detailed and involving?

So that got me thinking.... :)

Seems the case of the BDAC might be susceptable to microphony and vibration - and isolating it made a good improvement across the board - anything else I could do?

Well, I was an avid OpAmp swapper, the case was unscrewed many times.....Was there any vibration getting into the circuitry through the case itself?

Yup, the 4 screws were quite loose...so I tightened them up.

Another step in the right direction!
More of the same...

Put it this way...
If you can now admire hi-hat drum patterns in a Sex Pistols song (Bodies) your systems doing SOMETHING right!

I DID think that I had lost a bit of very low bass, but I hadnt..it was there, but any loose low end stuff had been tightened up.
Sounds a wee bit different bass wise, but the Dac plays Tunes a lot better - its easier to see the "point" of a song now, and baslines and the like stand apart a lot better than before.

Happy to report this as a good'un for us Bdac owners.

Spectral Morn
16-12-2009, 17:42
I went to Tesco and got a couple of these slabs (£6.40 for two) yesterday and stuck them under the Beresford.

I can say that YES this tweak absolutley works.
Basically the sound tightened up a lot, more stuff "between the notes" if you know what I mean..better involvement?
The sound is more relaxed, yet more detailed and involving?

So that got me thinking.... :)

Seems the case of the BDAC might be susceptable to microphony and vibration - and isolating it made a good improvement across the board - anything else I could do?

Well, I was an avid OpAmp swapper, the case was unscrewed many times.....Was there any vibration getting into the circuitry through the case itself?

Yup, the 4 screws were quite loose...so I tightened them up.

Another step in the right direction!
More of the same...

Put it this way...
If you can now admire hi-hat drum patterns in a Sex Pistols song (Bodies) your systems doing SOMETHING right!

I DID think that I had lost a bit of very low bass, but I hadnt..it was there, but any loose low end stuff had been tightened up.
Sounds a wee bit different bass wise, but the Dac plays Tunes a lot better - its easier to see the "point" of a song now, and baslines and the like stand apart a lot better than before.

Happy to report this as a good'un for us Bdac owners.

During my Digital Overview (in SOG )write up, when looking at the Beresford I found placing an AMR puck on the top improved the sound. So yes microphonic case for definite imho/e. But the surface it sat on was also important. This was also found out by Steve and Marco at the Scalford hall show, when the Beresford was lifted of a card board box and placed on a proper audio rack.

Regards D S D L

Marco
16-12-2009, 19:22
Hi Neil,

This was also found out by Steve and Marco at the Scalford hall show, when the Beresford was lifted of a card board box and placed on a proper audio rack.

Indeed. I missed that one, as I was going round checking out various rooms, but Rob, Nick and Steve heard the beneficial effect, which apparently was very significant indeed, and based on my experience of these things, I have no reason to doubt them.

I think that given the ridiculously low cost of the Beresford DAC, considering the audio performance on offer, cost-cutting has to be applied somewhere, and of course it's in the casing, which is undoubtedly a rather lightweight, resonant affair.

Personally, I've love to see Stan make a 'deluxe' version of the Beresford which comes in a really sturdy, attractive looking case (similar to, say, that of the Benchmark), even if he has to charge another £100 or so for the privilege, as it'd still represent a bargain. It would make the product look and 'feel' more professional, and it would sound even better, too! :)

However, the real message given by this thread is that equipment supports matter and offer genuine performance improvements! I've no doubt that Gaz's little tweak works, so just think what happens when placing the Beresford on top of a proper, purpose-built, audio rack!! ;)

Quite simply, no high quality hi-fi system should be without one.

Marco.

Ali Tait
16-12-2009, 19:34
Might be worth trying some dedshete or similar on the inside of the case.

Marco
16-12-2009, 19:42
That would probably work very well, Ali, but you're still only 'papering over the cracks', as it were.

It would be interesting to find out what kind of price premium a genuinely solid, high quality case on the Beresford would attract...

Marco.

Spectral Morn
16-12-2009, 19:45
Hi Neil,

Indeed. I missed that one, as I was going round checking out various rooms, but Rob, Nick and Steve heard the beneficial effect, which apparently was very significant indeed, and based on my experience of these things, I have no reason to doubt them.

I think that given the ridiculously low cost of the Beresford DAC, considering the audio performance on offer, cost-cutting has to be applied somewhere, and of course it's in the casing, which is undoubtedly a rather lightweight, resonant affair.

Personally, I've love to see Stan make a 'deluxe' version of the Beresford which comes in a really sturdy, attractive looking case (similar to, say, that of the Benchmark), even if he has to charge another £100 or so for the privilege, as it'd still represent a bargain. It would make the product look and 'feel' more professional, and it would sound even better, too! :)

However, the real message given by this thread is that equipment supports matter and offer genuine performance improvements! I've no doubt that Gaz's little tweak works, so just think what happens when placing the Beresford on top of a proper, purpose-built, audio rack!! ;)

Marco.

Sorry Marco...I thought you had been there when this was done. I know Nick was completely blown away by the improvement....as he wrote about it after the event.

Regards D S D L

Ali Tait
16-12-2009, 20:01
Yeah but this is a cheapie DIY thread! :ner:

Marco
16-12-2009, 20:30
LOL... I don't do cheap, I do proper! :ner: ;)

Marco.

Gazjam
16-12-2009, 20:57
Hi Neil,

Marco.

Agreed Marco, stands make a difference.
That's why my kit sits in a Stands Unique rack!*

*sadly this was from my "well off days" and is now the most expensive item in my HiFi!
I should sell it really and get myself a proper poweramp or a Turntable.
But it's such a nice piece if furniture I don't want to part with it!

But even then the wee tweak made a good difference!
I wonder if it's to do with the glass shelves or .?

:-)

Marco
16-12-2009, 21:26
I should sell it really and get myself a proper poweramp or a Turntable.
But it's such a nice piece if furniture I don't want to part with it!

Don't part with it, dude. Apart from it looking nice, it's providing a valuable 'foundation' for your system. Removing it would adversely affect the performance of every component supported on it, and thus negate much of the benefit of buying a 'proper' power amp... ;)

Marco.

Shanedudddy2
17-12-2009, 07:48
I`m going to try something like this, just because I`m curious, but I am expecting there to be little to no difference.

jandl100
17-12-2009, 08:06
I had a couple of packets of THESE:
http://www.quietpc.com/gb-en-gbp/products/caseaccessories/acoustifeet

So which type did you use, Gaz - 'very soft', 'soft, 'medium' or 'firm' - ooo, missus! - enquiring minds need to know!
... and are there sonic differences? :)

Marco
17-12-2009, 09:29
I`m going to try something like this, just because I`m curious, but I am expecting there to be little to no difference.

Don't go in with a closed mind - enter instead with an open one! You never know what you might discover ;)

Marco.

Gazjam
17-12-2009, 10:52
So which type did you use, Gaz - 'very soft', 'soft, 'medium' or 'firm' - ooo, missus! - enquiring minds need to know!
... and are there sonic differences? :)

Hey Jerry,
you can smell a tweak at 200 paces you can!

I used the "Very soft" for maximum "boing!"(Tech term) as there wasnt a helluva lot of weight bearing down on them.
Dont know about sonic differences...I figured the benefit would come from maximum damping according to weight..and if using the very stiff ones (Quick Nurse...the screens!) then it would just be like sitting the dac on its own hard rubber feet...only bigger.
Dunno...all just a guess.

The Sorbothane feet mentioned as well look good....im like you Jerry...curiositys getting the better of me.... :)

Themis
17-12-2009, 10:53
Don't go in with a closed mind - enter instead with an open one! You never know what you might discover ;)

Marco.
Why, is it a Belt-type trick or something ? Do you need to believe in it to hear ? :lol:

Gazjam
17-12-2009, 10:55
Try it ya miserable buggers....spend a tenner to prove me wrong.

Forum Cred means nothing to me - Ha!

Alex_UK
17-12-2009, 11:08
Currently experimenting with one underneath for isolation, and one on top to add mass for damping - certainly seems to make a slight difference with the one on top, (a Caiman-Granite sandwich) but only directly laying on it - going to try some blu-tack in a while. (P.S. why doesn't someone make Black-Tack? Would be much better for hi fi use!)

jandl100
17-12-2009, 11:25
(P.S. why doesn't someone make Black-Tack? Would be much better for hi fi use!)

I have some 'black-tack' - thoroughly vicious stuff - I used it to hold some JBL standmounts onto a stand - when I came to take the speakers off, the bloody speaker veneer came off rather than the the black-tack! :doh:

... but you may be able to get other types. :)

Gazjam
17-12-2009, 11:31
I found putting TWO slabs under the Dac makes more of an improvement than a "sandwhich"...not a helluva lot...but noticeable

My SB3 sits on top of the Dac anyway...

Hey theres an idea...
I could sellotape a brick to the top of my Squeezebox!
;)

Gazjam
17-12-2009, 11:32
Currently experimenting with one underneath for isolation, and one on top to add mass for damping - certainly seems to make a slight difference with the one on top, (a Caiman-Granite sandwich) but only directly laying on it - going to try some blu-tack in a while. (P.S. why doesn't someone make Black-Tack? Would be much better for hi fi use!)

A black permenant marker is your friend...

Ali Tait
17-12-2009, 11:50
They do (or did) make black tack! Not sure if it's still available though.

Alex_UK
17-12-2009, 16:37
They do (or did) make black tack! Not sure if it's still available though.

That'll teach me for not Googling first! http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/black_tack

The Grand Wazoo
17-12-2009, 18:45
Not only does it have good sticking power as Jerry says but it's gooey as hell too.
I'd go for the marker pen.

Gazjam
19-12-2009, 19:58
A friend of mine has modded his BDac by sticking aluminium flash tape inside the upper case to dampen it.
It works a treat he says, good improvement, probably more than the sorbothane feet.

I'll be trying this soon myself, will report back.

I imagine its like using Dynamat on CD players ro dampen resonance?
I know the Dac has no moving parts to generate vibration as with the CD player, but faffing about with isolation options (and reports from the Show) seems to show the BDac case benefits quite well from this kind of treatment.

I would say that Stans Dac transplanted into a solid heavy case would improve the sound, so maybe these wee tweaks are making steps towards that?

All good stuff!

leo
19-12-2009, 20:14
Some parts like certain integrated circuits can be sensitive to vibration, also ceramic capacitors tend to be microphonic

Interesting thing I found is that most of my diy projects sound better when clamped to the wood chopping boards used whilst tweaking the circuit etc, they always seem to loose a bit in the SQ after being transfered into a full metal case:scratch: To try and help shield RF when on the chopping board I stick a tin over it :lol:

Ali Tait
20-12-2009, 12:50
Yes as I said,Dedshete or similar will work very well I reckon.Another good thing to try is a blob of blutack on the top of the capacitors to dampen ringing.

Gazjam
23-12-2009, 17:14
UPDATE:
The Bdac upper case is now damped with the aliminium flashtape.

This stuff but was quite simple to apply, it was cut to exact length and was "shaped" in place, making sure that it was pressed firmly into the Dac lid corners and the little "lip" with the screwholes.
Once done I carefully peeled off the wax backing paper and applied it to inside of the upper Dac case lid.
Some Pics

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/3801/33636499.th.jpg (http://img43.imageshack.us/i/33636499.jpg/)http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/8282/35091720.th.jpg (http://img43.imageshack.us/i/35091720.jpg/)http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/9426/27070733.th.jpg (http://img69.imageshack.us/i/27070733.jpg/)http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/2198/81212591.th.jpg (http://img43.imageshack.us/i/81212591.jpg/)

Once on, I screwed the Dac case back together.
Now I have to say, this stuff is quite heavy for what it is, and it added significant weight and solidity do the Dac itself...which can only be a good thing.
Knocking on it gently with a knuckle, the Dac sounded a lot more "deader" and less hollow sounding...another good thing?

Now previously I had said how I had "isolated" the Dac by putting sorbothane-like rubber feet under it which tightened thngs up and generally improved the sound.

Someone else had made an isolation "platform" using two Tesco granite placemats which had AGAIN made additional improvements to the Dacs sound.

So....
My latest exploits should have brought about further improvements right?
Well...not exactly....:rolleyes:

The sound HAD tightened up a helluva lot more, the soundstaging was a lot better..better seperation of vocals was what I noticed the most.

But the bass had been sucked out..and teh sound seemed to have lost its "connection" as you listen to it. It was making the sounds, sure, but the connection wasnt there.

Hmnn I thought, bugger!
This tape is a bit of a fit'n'forget mod, as once its on...it stays on.

Now remember..this was with the Dacs case dampened...sitting on two granite boards supported by sorbothane feet.

A bit dishearteded to be honest, I took the granite away from under the Dac and sat it directly under the glass shelf on my rack.
BINGO!
The bass was back - along with the better soundstaging, clarity resolution etc. Much Better!

Experimenting a bit I tried various things, putting the granite slabs directly on the glass (no sorbothane pads underneath), one slab with sorbo pads..two slabs with sorbo pads in the middle..all the various combinations.

Adding any of the granite/sorbothane combinations after the case itself was dampened just seemed to rob the sound of its "bounce"...and the bass just kind of got absorbed somehow...

Dont know how or why but dampeneing the BDac case with this stuff was a bigger improvement (quite a bit actually) than sticking granite or sorbothane under it.

I've glass shelves though..so maybe this is a factor and your setup may vary in the results.

However, I highly recommend this tweak.

..and no..I dont kow where to buy the stuff!
A friend had a spare bit which he let me have.
Sorry! :)

Ali Tait
23-12-2009, 17:41
Nice one Gaz,I thought something like this would be worth doing.

Gazjam
23-12-2009, 18:07
Tell us a bit more about blu-takking the Capacitors...
Do them ALL or particular ones...?
What do you reckon on the 7520/Caimen then...all of them?

Sounds harmless with potential benefits for us OCD types!

:lol:

Ali Tait
23-12-2009, 18:19
It was something I read on TNT Audio.The idea is that the blu-tac will dampen any ringing caused by a signal going through the caps when in use.Not sure if it's really an issue.It did make a subtle difference to a Marantz cd player I used to have.Worth a go surely,as it's cheap and easily reversible! Yes,I'd do all the caps.

leo
23-12-2009, 18:37
Another mod reoprted to give surprising results is skinning electrolytic caps as in removing the plastic jacket with print on, it may sound :mental: but I've heard reports from a few people saying it reduces distortion, if anybody is mad enough to try it just remember not to short anything out on the caps bare metal body and for new caps waiting to be fitted mark the body with a pen which is + and - (normally longer leg is + anyway with caps but just incase)

I like the Blu-tac idea Ali, I'm sure the results would vary depending on the type of caps, certainly worth a go

Themis
23-12-2009, 18:38
Gaz, do you listen to music really loud ? I was wondering...

Ali Tait
23-12-2009, 18:54
Yes Leo,as you say,YMMV,but worth a go.

Gazjam
23-12-2009, 19:36
Gaz, do you listen to music really loud ? I was wondering...

You mean do I have "ringing" in my ears....? :mental:

Uhm, no.
Usually low level, but occasionally turn the wick up.

Themis
23-12-2009, 19:45
You mean do I have "ringing" in my ears....? :mental:

Uhm, no.
Usually low level, but occasionally turn the wick up.
Ok, then we have about the same habits. I'll give this a try, then. ;)
Thanks.

Gazjam
23-12-2009, 21:41
Let us know how you get on Dimitri!
:)

Shanedudddy2
28-12-2009, 11:56
I have taken the lid off and compared with and without, in my opinion no difference, each to their own. I only believe isolation applies to speakers, not components, I mean given that its not shaking heaps, anyone else with me? or am I a lone wolf on this? haha

The Grand Wazoo
28-12-2009, 14:07
Lone wolf, mate - oowwwwwwwwwuuuuuuuuwwwhhh

leo
28-12-2009, 18:19
I have taken the lid off and compared with and without, in my opinion no difference, each to their own. I only believe isolation applies to speakers, not components, I mean given that its not shaking heaps, anyone else with me? or am I a lone wolf on this? haha

Some people hear these differences , others don't, simple as that, no right or wrong in this hobby;)

Gazjam
28-12-2009, 21:24

Naa,
Your wrong and your a grotesquely ugly freak!
;)

Sorry, was that a bit too opinionated?

Themis
29-12-2009, 08:36
Well, in fact, isolation does not only applies to speakers... that's why several firms use different techniques in mechanically isolating their solid-state components. For instance, Denon (which cannot be qualified as a "mystic" hifi company) uses what they call a "Precision Direct Mechanical Ground Construction" for their amplifiers to thoroughly suppress vibration (see : http://www.denon.co.uk/site/frames_main.php?main=prod&ver=&MID=3&sub=2&action=detail&Pid=432).

Now, that doesn't mean that vibrations are noticeable on all setups and under any circumstances. I'm like you, and I'm very happy not to notice such details (although I'm able to listen to them if needed). ;)

The Grand Wazoo
29-12-2009, 08:42
My gear (except power amps & speakers) is all in a seperate room & the dividing wall is 2 foot 2 inch thick solid stone, but I still paid attention to isolation when I set things up - if you can hear music in a seperate room, then you have a potential source of vibration.

Avondale Audio
29-12-2009, 16:44
I found putting TWO slabs under the Dac makes more of an improvement than a "sandwhich"...not a helluva lot...but noticeable

My SB3 sits on top of the Dac anyway...

Hey theres an idea...
I could sellotape a brick to the top of my Squeezebox!
;)

Quite an improvement could be made by using some carbon fibre pads between the granite leaves........

Les

steve dixon
01-01-2010, 10:10
i used some of that car damping stuff in my beresford 7510, i cut a sheet to fit inside the top of the case on the inside, and put a sheet on the bottom, i then fitted some isolation feet off my linn classik which were replaced by sorbothene feet, the sound deadening sheet added mass and damped the case, whist the feet lifted the beresford off the glass shelf.
i also use a stands unique tower, the sound improved with extended bass, and a more focussed sound, with more space and separation around individual instruments.
worked for me.
steve

Gazjam
01-01-2010, 13:19
Pretty much matches my experience Steve, never thought to dampen the bottom of the case as well....can see a trip to Halfords coming on to get some car damping stuff

sburrell
06-01-2010, 23:50
Just an FYI for those looking for Flashing Tape as per Gazjam's mod:
Google Shopping (http://www.google.co.uk/products?q=flashing+tape&oe=UTF-8&scoring=p)
Oh, Gazjam, love the Brass Eye quote! :) Christopher Morris - worra genius! He's good in The IT Crowd too (available for free on 4OD).

electric beach
08-01-2010, 21:45
Quite an improvement could be made by using some carbon fibre pads between the granite leaves........

Where could one aquire such carbon pads Les? I tried some carbon blocks that I had, used between granite platform and glass shelf, worked really well. Thanks, very effective tip. ;)

hifinutt
11-01-2010, 17:53
best ever upgrade was putting a sonority design shelf under my cdp

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg160/phil125/Picture164.jpg

Ali Tait
11-01-2010, 18:17
How much are they?

goraman
02-03-2010, 02:25
Just in case anyone is interested, Morrison's Supermarket have black granite chopping boards, 400mm x 300mm x 12mm, on special offer, £2 below marked price of £9.99, i.e. £7.99 each. All faces except the bottom are polished and the bottom has 6 thin rubber(y) pads to avoid damage to worktops.

Holey Frankinspeaker Batman!
Is that what they call an outboard crossover.
THE SPEAKER IN HIS POST DIDN'T MAKE IT TO MY POST BUT ...