PDA

View Full Version : Worlds top 10 most ££££££££££ Turntables

Audio Al
19-11-2016, 22:20
Anything you fancy here folks ?

https://pulseradio.net/articles/2016/01/these-are-the-10-most-expensive-turntables-in-the-world

:D

sq225917
20-11-2016, 09:52
Somewhat out of date, no tech das, or the new German deck from ces this year.

Audio Al
20-11-2016, 09:58
Jan 2016

Macca
20-11-2016, 11:28
I took the liberty of imagining that I had just:

won the lottery/completed a major drug deal/pulled off a huge insurance scam.

Which one would I buy with my ill-gotten gains? Normally I'd go for the one that is batshit crazy, but they are all batshit crazy. So I picked the one that is least blingy. Even though it is still very, very blingy, at least by any rational human standards.

The Transroter Artus:

http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac233/Macca_photos_2009/transrotor-ardus_zps7y1seyvm.jpg (http://s903.photobucket.com/user/Macca_photos_2009/media/transrotor-ardus_zps7y1seyvm.jpg.html)

Paul-H
20-11-2016, 12:38
And none of them make the slightest difference to the sound quality and given that once you hit the £5k turntable/Arm/Cartridge mark every 10 grand extra spent only gains a minuscule improvement even the 600 grand one will sound almost the same as a 5 grand one.

As with all audio equipment once you get to a certain price point the only people to hear any improvement are the seller and the buyer, to everyone else it will sound the same.

Remember the limiting factor is the record, no turntable/tonearm/cartridge combo can make more of whats available, so if one can reproduce whats on the record 100% accurate there is nothing any other one can improve on, but as none do a 100% but many do a 99% job all the money these monsters cost can only play with a tiny amount

An AudioPhool and his money or what

Macca
20-11-2016, 12:53
If you can afford one of these you have so much money that it doesn't really matter that you are only buying an extra 1% or whatever.

User211
20-11-2016, 13:00

Then again if you have loads of money and like hi-fi what's the point of not buying some superbly engineered kit? You'd be a fool not to, or just cutting off your nose to spite your wealth!!!

Spend, spend, spend if you have it. Not long til yer dead. Enjoy it whilst you are here.

jandl100
20-11-2016, 13:07
And none of them make the slightest difference to the sound quality and given that once you hit the £5k turntable/Arm/Cartridge mark every 10 grand extra spent only gains a minuscule improvement even the 600 grand one will sound almost the same as a 5 grand one.

Err .... have you actually heard any of these megabuck tts?

I heard a direct comparison between a SME 30 (about £30k, I think) and a Rockport Sirius (about £80k at the time, I think).

The SME 30 was on first and it sounded fantastic.

Then the Rockport .... and my jaw dropped.
Wow. Not even close.

So, imo, you can indeed get what you pay for and the so-called law of diminishing returns does not always apply.

paulf-2007
20-11-2016, 14:13
Sorry for pissing on your bbq, but if I had the kind of money to squander on a turntable that's a smidge better than my denon I would give it to people waiting on a life saving operation that the NHS won't fund. Shit it's only music.

Did anyone see that to program about Christies, some Chinese chap paid 3 million dollars I think for a somebody Klein painting that is just a canvas painted blue, yes just blue. What a total prat. But not as big a prat as the next idiot who will no doubt pay more for it. One painting sold for 50 million, you could do a lot of good with that kind of money that the buyer obviously won't miss.

Macca
20-11-2016, 15:01
What if you had already given someone the money for their op and you still had the money left to buy a crazy TT (or painting) ? Is it okay then? Or do you have to sort out every problem in the world before you are allowed to enjoy your money?

paulf-2007
20-11-2016, 16:55
What if you had already given someone the money for their op and you still had the money left to buy a crazy TT (or painting) ? Is it okay then? Or do you have to sort out every problem in the world before you are allowed to enjoy your money?now you know that's not possible

daytona600
20-11-2016, 20:05
most of these are just vastly over priced big ticket audio Jewellery with bragging rights
not the real great sounding superdecks where money was spent solely for better sound
Vertere Reference , Air Force 1 , grand prix monaco as example of superb expensive decks

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRlm2XpkvU4IhVzhrGfC9UTBVBd1l71I 5oYMuGdCAVBgqgp_b1e

bob4333
21-11-2016, 07:36
I took the liberty of imagining that I had just:

won the lottery/completed a major drug deal/pulled off a huge insurance scam.

Which one would I buy with my ill-gotten gains? Normally I'd go for the one that is batshit crazy, but they are all batshit crazy. So I picked the one that is least blingy. Even though it is still very, very blingy, at least by any rational human standards.

The Transroter Artus:

http://i903.photobucket.com/albums/ac233/Macca_photos_2009/transrotor-ardus_zps7y1seyvm.jpg (http://s903.photobucket.com/user/Macca_photos_2009/media/transrotor-ardus_zps7y1seyvm.jpg.html)

How'd you keep the dust off.....? :eek: My OCD'd be in overdrive.

Gordon Steadman
21-11-2016, 07:42
You could drape a nice dust sheet over it. A giant dome perhaps?

Stuff like this definitely feels like a solution searching for a problem.

Paul-H
21-11-2016, 08:53
These things are the same as with my other love, Vintage Fountain Pens

Some cost thousands and some only cost a few pounds and in many cases the cheapest Chinese Pens write just as well and at times better than the German pens that cost thousands, but no Montblanc owner will admit to that, except me as I just did. :) Cost does not guarantee an improvement it just guarantee's the ability to gloat.

As for I was blown away by how much better a 60K item sounded against a 30k item, utter tosh, unless one was faulty or badly made, its never going to happen, the difference would be almost imperceptible. there might be a difference but at that level its going to be minuscule.

jandl100
21-11-2016, 09:04
... But have you actually heard any such comparisons between high priced turntables?

YNWaN
21-11-2016, 13:32
I have actually heard some of these turntables and would side with Jerry. Rather than sounding the same many of these expensive decks actually sound quite different. However, I would agree that many of the ultra expensive decks are more about overt bling than sound.

Firebottle
21-11-2016, 14:26
How'd you keep the dust off.....? :eek: My OCD'd be in overdrive.

You don't, your staff do :eyebrows:

Gazjam
21-11-2016, 14:58
There can be only One...
Goldmund Reference II :eek:

jandl100
21-11-2016, 15:46
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=5311&d=1346692466

Gazjam
21-11-2016, 15:58
Box swapping again Jerry? :D

jandl100
21-11-2016, 16:09
Box swapping again Jerry? :D

Hmm?

Yeah.

I quite fancied one of these ...

http://images.greenlabel.com/assets/2014/08/AAS-GABRIEL-MK2.jpg

It would go nicely with my PSB headphones :thumbsup:

https://cnet1.cbsistatic.com/img/-_AxIRApZ1vqYL41yrfdNY3PuRI=/770x433/2013/06/07/5f7647e2-e461-11e2-8339-d4ae52e62bcc/35663373.jpg

jandl100
21-11-2016, 16:16
What wazzak came up with this design?

A stunningly gorgeous wood base and you have to use a fugly motor unit sitting right next to it? :scratch:

Direct drive would have been sooooo much better!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/30/a2/8e/30a28e13bd87c527eeb2398cd915a41b.jpg

daytona600
21-11-2016, 17:05
motorunit is just straight of a VPI

Audio Al
21-11-2016, 17:16
What wazzak came up with this design?

A stunningly gorgeous wood base and you have to use a fugly motor unit sitting right next to it? :scratch:

Direct drive would have been sooooo much better!

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/30/a2/8e/30a28e13bd87c527eeb2398cd915a41b.jpg

Paid all that money and can't afford any cartridges :(

Macca
21-11-2016, 17:54
The maid probably knackered them when dusting the thing. Have to slum it with the £140K CD player while they are being re-tipped.

Barry
21-11-2016, 20:12

https://pulseradio.net/articles/2016/01/these-are-the-10-most-expensive-turntables-in-the-world

In a word - NO! Most of them are 'altars' of vulgar designer-looking bling. (Though I would like to try out some of the arms shown.)

Macca
21-11-2016, 20:30
I like the red one that has so much crap around it you couldn't get close enough to the platter to put a record on.

If the Goldmund was a bit less blingy I might have that. I suppose they would bling it down if you asked and paid a bit extra.

archiesdad
22-11-2016, 17:30
To hell with good causes, send me the wooden meteor, although any but the #1 would do. But how much do you need to spend on the other important items to go with it to be complete.

prestonchipfryer
23-11-2016, 12:13
Some look like they belong in the North Sea.

Spectral Morn
23-11-2016, 14:39

As with all audio equipment once you get to a certain price point the only people to hear any improvement are the seller and the buyer, to everyone else it will sound the same.

Remember the limiting factor is the record, no turntable/tonearm/cartridge combo can make more of whats available, so if one can reproduce whats on the record 100% accurate there is nothing any other one can improve on, but as none do a 100% but many do a 99% job all the money these monsters cost can only play with a tiny amount

And you have heard all of them.... to be able to make such a statement.... very doubtful. Please don't use derogatory language like 'audiophool' on Aos please.

paulf-2007
25-11-2016, 18:36
These things are the same as with my other love, Vintage Fountain Pens

Some cost thousands and some only cost a few pounds and in many cases the cheapest Chinese Pens write just as well and at times better than the German pens that cost thousands, but no Montblanc owner will admit to that, except me as I just did. :) Cost does not guarantee an improvement it just guarantee's the ability to gloat.

As for I was blown away by how much better a 60K item sounded against a 30k item, utter tosh, unless one was faulty or badly made, its never going to happen, the difference would be almost imperceptible. there might be a difference but at that level its going to be minuscule.I second that, recently I bought two Chinese fountain pens with piston fillers, one for the wife and one for me just out of interest really and while I was waiting for my montblanc ball point to come back from a service. The filler works great and they write beautifully, and only £8 each

Reffc
25-11-2016, 22:12
tbh, I think that most (definitely not all) of these blingy megabuck TT's are a pee-take in that many offer little over a really well engineered £5K deck. A few I've heard break that mold, like the Goldmund Reference and one of the top Raven TT's, but many do not. Many are just blinged up audio jewelry and some, (un)surprisingly were designed by people on paper more as an art concept than for any pretensions of SQ improvements, or in more than a few cases, because serious profit was involved in parting customers from their wads. It's a business opportunity, NOT genuinely moving audio on by a decade. Heck, a well sorted TD124 or EMT deck can knock spots or at least match some of these megadecks in pure SQ terms.

When auditioning these, one has to be very careful of drawing erroneous conclusions as after all, how much of what you hear as a subjective comparison can you honestly put down to the TT, or are the differences really attributable to the cart, tonearm, amp, speakers...or room...or combination of two or more of those things? Fair to say that once you get to around £5 to £10K, it can buy a very seriously good sounding vinyl front end. I'm with one other poster...I'd rather give the change out of an £80K deck to a deserving cause than indulge in something so selfish as an £80K bit of willy-waving audio jewellery. You don't have to spend the thick end of £100K to get something that looks the dogs dangly bits and sounds it too. If you are deluded enough that you think that you do, then think again, this time with a dose of reality thrown in. As a one-off statement piece, for art's sake or engineering prowess, I enjoy seeing these megadecks, but justfying them?..please, pull the other one. It probably will have bells on it!

Gazjam
26-11-2016, 00:53
When things get to this level....heed the American high end forums.
All else is bullshit.

Read a fair few folk there that have embraced digital and left their record players behind, and Im talkimg Goldmund Reference level analogue systems.

My digital leaves me wondering is my analogue setup f*cked.
Arm on my record player is a SME V...and its a good record player.
Can digital actually be that good or do I need to phone a friend? (It can, just looking for affirmation)

Pete The Cat
26-11-2016, 06:38
http://thumbs.picclick.com/00/s/MTA0M1gxNjAw/z/8HwAAOSwPhdVL1ts/$/Thorens-TD-165-Turntable-Designer-piece-revised-_1.jpg

Over the years I've come find that less is usually more. There's something about a deck with a small footprint that's more pleasing to me. OK, I get that the job is sound quality but some of the refurbished Thorens that are coming out of Germany are a delight to see.

Pete

Macca
26-11-2016, 09:41
When things get to this level....heed the American high end forums.
All else is bullshit.

Read a fair few folk there that have embraced digital and left their record players behind, and Im talkimg Goldmund Reference level analogue systems.

My digital leaves me wondering is my analogue setup f*cked.
Arm on my record player is a SME V...and its a good record player.
Can digital actually be that good or do I need to phone a friend? (It can, just looking for affirmation)

I will affirm for you ;) - trouble is I keep hearing record players that sound astonishing too. And they are not million dollar efforts, just some user mods and a good arm and cartridge match. And a good phono stage - the scary thing is when you hear a great TT set up, then a better phono stage is put in and what you thought could not get better, gets better. Phono stage is more important than the cartridge? I am starting to think so.

Reffc
26-11-2016, 13:37
I will affirm for you ;) - trouble is I keep hearing record players that sound astonishing too. And they are not million dollar efforts, just some user mods and a good arm and cartridge match. And a good phono stage - the scary thing is when you hear a great TT set up, then a better phono stage is put in and what you thought could not get better, gets better. Phono stage is more important than the cartridge? I am starting to think so.

Exactly this Martin ^^^^

I'd argue though that there are so many variables, with a vinyl system, one component, doesn't of itself determine a great sounding vinyl system although the cartridge has probably (arguably) one of the most important roles. The cartridge is absolutely a deal breaker or a system maker, but only if everything else is right and matched. Get that wrong and it doesn't matter what you have elsewhere, it'll sound average at best or terrible at worst. My favourites include cartridges from Miyajima, Transfiguration, Nagoaka and Zyx. None are especially budget unfortunately. It's the careful selection and matching of everything to work in harmony that makes the magic.

I listened to Tom's set up recently and changing cartridges was a little like changing systems. I'd argue that the cartridge, platter (and drive mechanism and execution), and phonostage make the largest differences, based on hearing probably many 100's of TT's from £150 set ups to £150K set ups over the years.

My favourites remain as the TD124, Garrard 301/401, and simplicity and elegance of the Michell decks. The humble 401 I have heard knock spots off many megabuck turntables when in a well matched plinth using a quality arm (I'm not at all convinced that one arm is actually a lot better than another when designs of similar quality and geometry are put side by side but good probably (sadly) equates to £1000 plus these days).

Once those things are right, then a phonostage, despite spec sheet figures, can make or break all of the above. Spec sheets tell you very little when it comes to phonostages. they can't tell you whether SUTs are very high quality or whether they suffer from HF ringing or other artifacts of design/manufacture. RIAA may be within a knat's whisker between a vast majority of stages, but design, topology, execution, quality of parts and quality of power supplies plus design of gain stages all play a part. Some of my favourites include Tube Technology's MM/MC stage, The TRON Convergence (simply outstanding), Tom's Vida, the simply superb Hagerman Cornet (for the money, it remains a true bench-mark product bettering stages at 4 to 5 times the price), Manley's Steelhead (adjustable everything, really nicely made and superb sounding) plus a few others.

The blingy TT is only one part of an important chain. You can often achieve more for less, and along with another poster above, I rate the nice clean designs of the newly manufactured Thorens decks plus some of the higher end Project decks which are really very good value.

pure sound
26-11-2016, 22:00
At Scalford last year visitors to the Coleman room were able to hear a spectacular array of serious turntables/arms & cartridges each of which (in my view) demonstrated the gulf between themselves and the kinds of decks us mere mortals can usually aspire to. Their ability to project information from the darkest backgrounds, preserve low frequency energy & maintain their composure when all hell was breaking loose was exemplary although each certainly had a different flavour. But having said that, the Rockport Sirius 3 (belonging to the same owner) still leaves them all behind. Unobtainium pretty much these days though. I doubt it'll be surpassed now. No one would be prepared now to throw sufficient funds at the kind of venture that'd be required to make something comparable.

Cas
27-11-2016, 14:43

In a word nope, to me they are all overworked overpriced hype, snake oil turntables.

Reffc
27-11-2016, 14:55
At Scalford last year visitors to the Coleman room were able to hear a spectacular array of serious turntables/arms & cartridges each of which (in my view) demonstrated the gulf between themselves and the kinds of decks us mere mortals can usually aspire to. Their ability to project information from the darkest backgrounds, preserve low frequency energy & maintain their composure when all hell was breaking loose was exemplary although each certainly had a different flavour. But having said that, the Rockport Sirius 3 (belonging to the same owner) still leaves them all behind. Unobtainium pretty much these days though. I doubt it'll be surpassed now. No one would be prepared now to throw sufficient funds at the kind of venture that'd be required to make something comparable.

Have to say that I agree Guy, although there's a few genuine statement pieces (in engineering terms) still in circulation. In real-world terms though, there has never been so may genuinely good affordable TT's about for reasonable cash.

Macca
27-11-2016, 21:37
Seems that those who have heard decks at this price level reckon they are a step up and those who have not (me included) are sceptical. Just wondering if there is anyone who has heard one and didn't think it offered anything more?

Audio Al
28-11-2016, 05:57
Seems that those who have heard decks at this price level reckon they are a step up and those who have not (me included) are sceptical. Just wondering if there is anyone who has heard one and didn't think it offered anything more?

I went to the National Auto Show some years ago and saw a TT that looked like a north see oil rig , It was huge about 4ft tall all chrome with big weights hanging down the centre

I thought WOW what a monster , Lots of elderly gents all pointing and poking , twiddling knobs and screws , sat waiting for about 5 mins , the then put a lp on and the music started , Well how unimpressed was I , Gave it 3 tracks then left the room , Sounded very thin / bland not sure what was wrong but I would have required a far better sounding unit , maybe it was amp pre ?

Reffc
28-11-2016, 09:04
I went to the National Auto Show some years ago and saw a TT that looked like a north see oil rig , It was huge about 4ft tall all chrome with big weights hanging down the centre

I thought WOW what a monster , Lots of elderly gents all pointing and poking , twiddling knobs and screws , sat waiting for about 5 mins , the then put a lp on and the music started , Well how unimpressed was I , Gave it 3 tracks then left the room , Sounded very thin / bland not sure what was wrong but I would have required a far better sounding unit , maybe it was amp pre ?

If that was Whittlebury 2014 Al (which I think it was) you're probably referring to the Sound Fowndations room listening to that big Clearaudio Master Innovation deck. I didn't rate the speakers that were being used much in that room and this probably had more to do with the sound than the deck to be fair, but yes, it was more a statement in bling than anything else!

Audio Al
28-11-2016, 11:17
If that was Whittlebury 2014 Al (which I think it was) you're probably referring to the Sound Fowndations room listening to that big Clearaudio Master Innovation deck. I didn't rate the speakers that were being used much in that room and this probably had more to do with the sound than the deck to be fair, but yes, it was more a statement in bling than anything else!

Hi Paul

I just googled it , No not the Clearaudio Master Innovation

macvisual
28-11-2016, 17:34
I attended a hi-fi show around 9yrs ago in Manchester and went to hear the Rockport room, monstrous size speakers and mega expensive turntable, sat down and gave the audition a good thirty minutes and walked out, very bland and dull sounding.

How they sell this high-end gear I really don't know.

pgarrish
28-11-2016, 19:35
If you're flogging a TT for £150K plus you'd have thought they could have spent some of the budget on design... That is a collection of some of the ugliest engineering I've seen in my life. I can honestly say I'd rather look at this than any of those...

http://www.audiocostruzioni.com/r_s/giradischi/Rega-Planar-1/rega%20planar%201.jpg

Macca
28-11-2016, 21:42
Needs the lid taking off completely. Otherwise I agree that aesthetically it wins the race by miles,

Jac Hawk
18-12-2016, 00:17
You know what, no one will ever agree, it's like asking a group of people what's there favourite lasagne, everyone will have a different opinion, that's the same with music and sound, i think when things get to this price it's more about what it is and costs rather than what it sounds like, i would put money on people doing a blind listening test not being able to tell the difference between a good deck and something costing over £100k. In my opinion it's a case of the emperors new clothes with stuff like this.

337alant
18-12-2016, 01:48
Try getting you hands on any of these as well and you will need deep pockets
http://www.thevintageknob.org/MISCELLANEOUS/SS1980TT/SS1980TT.html

OMG a Pioneer P3

http://yahoo.aleado.com/lot?auctionID=f197947395
Alan