PDA

View Full Version : Ex-cinema horns. F.s.

hornucopia
19-11-2016, 14:50
(NO, not Sound of the Theatre ones!)
I will soon be getting a pair of big wooden horns back from the roof of Bristol 2 CVs garage, who I loaned them to,18553 about 30 years ago. I got them at an auction circa 1985. They have been in gentle use daily since then (running from a Car radio most of the time!) Shows how efficient they are.
I'm guessing they'll need a slight de-grease externally. No idea what condition the actual speaker bit will be in until I/we get them down.
I'll take pictures when that happens; until then, here's the pic of them being delivered!! Biggest car speakers ever?
No idea if anyone would be interested in these, apart from Beobloke? Even him?
Need a big boot car!.
£80?
More soon when they are repatriated including name of them, etc..

AlfaGTV
19-11-2016, 15:19
:lol: They could pass for a propulsion system? :)

Macca
19-11-2016, 15:24
Hopefully there is someone here crazy enough to take them on.

Spider
19-11-2016, 18:03
Hi
Would these work as a full range speaker. Like the ones that were at Scalford hall this year?
If so I'm interested.
Would an 18w valve amp drive them?
Thanks

walpurgis
19-11-2016, 18:08
If they were PA type designs, they'd have a limited response. Maybe 300Hz to 8kHz. On the other hand if they were designed to work as mid/upper horns to supplement big bass cabinets, they could go 500Hz to 15kHz perhaps. I doubt they'd need much power.

Macca
19-11-2016, 20:09
If they were PA type designs, they'd have a limited response. Maybe 300Hz to 8kHz. On the other hand if they were designed to work as mid/upper horns to supplement big bass cabinets, they could go 500Hz to 15kHz perhaps. I doubt they'd need much power.

Nothing adding a digital crossover, sub and a tweeter wouldn't solve. Will need a bit of space though.

montesquieu
20-11-2016, 00:41
I had a succession of Dyanes and 2CVs throughout the 80s used to go to France and Germany in the summer (from Glasgow) took one over an Alpine pass once from Switzerland to Italy.

60mph top speed was a bugger on the motorway but if you were brave enough you could slipstream at 80mph behind a bus!

Speakers look mental but the the Dyane would be great of interest if for sale :)

I remember that garage from my Bristol days, back of Whiteladies Rd isn't it?

montesquieu
20-11-2016, 00:44
Oops just spotted pic was from delivery 30 years ago!

Ninanina
20-11-2016, 00:59
I've had 2 2CV's... I always thought they were a joke but after driving one I love them and are great fun to drive as fast as you can... :lol:

Audio Al
20-11-2016, 01:04
:):eyebrows:

montesquieu
20-11-2016, 01:12
I've had 2 2CV's... I always thought they were a joke but after driving one I love them and are great fun to drive as fast as you can... :lol:

I actually got done for speeding once in a red 2CV Special. The traffic cop (there still were traffic cops back then) said he'd never booked anyone in a 2CV before

The Chronicals
20-11-2016, 04:49
I thought they were exhausts for a moment.

Boyracer went to Halfords with Christmas money off his nan.

hornucopia
20-11-2016, 12:45
The Dyane was my delivery vehicle for the Cafe/Take-away. And yes, sitting slipstreaming behind a coach on M4 in it at 75mph.....I recall, going to Walton on Thames to deliver a Quad 405....to a girl, I thought, from the phone call I got. Turned out to be a 12 yr old boy with LOTS of Quad stuff! Was rebuilding an ELS, even! Where IS that boy now?
On way home (next morning), it had snowed heavily; one lane snaking through ridged snow on the M4, Porsches and Saabs abandoned on side. Air-cooled, thin wheeled Dyane barrelled on to Bristol!
60% compression on one side....but still got a customer asking what was under bonnet as his BMW couldn't keep up! Foot flat to floor, change on the fly!
Yes, Tom, same garage. I was an ancilliary part of it. Even paid for the Dyane in food!
Won't have the speakers down for a week or two. Watch this space. as to frequency response? I do have a photo of the original purchase that included another unit that might have been a bass unit.......
Maybe I'll rig it up for a proper listen. (In my garage at home?)

petrat
20-11-2016, 14:48
http://i1233.photobucket.com/albums/ff384/petrat56/attachment_zpsoa4rb5i0.jpg (http://s1233.photobucket.com/user/petrat56/media/attachment_zpsoa4rb5i0.jpg.html)

agk
20-11-2016, 22:51
I'd be all over these if they weren't so damn far away chris, I'm in need of some more bigness.

Beobloke
21-11-2016, 12:53
No idea if anyone would be interested in these, apart from Beobloke? Even him?

Thanks but no thanks - I'm allergic to horns... :D

agk
21-11-2016, 14:50
I'd be all over these if they weren't so damn far away chris, I'm in need of some more bigness.

Bugger. It's a six hour round trip from here, I don't suppose we've any van or lorry driver on here who might be able to assist for beer?

hornucopia
06-12-2016, 14:16
Relax. Just been to assess situation. We're planning to get them down in week before Xmas. They are heavy and awkward to get down from their under-the- roof location. And rather dirty!
So, New Year earliest! I know you're all trying to book the pantechnicon.....patience! (-: