PDA

View Full Version : Badly Pressed Vinyl

Soundeck
16-11-2016, 15:30
Two weeks ago I bought online The Best Of Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler Private Investigations. Disc one sound superb and plays silently, however the opening track on each side of disk two plays with severe scratching & distortion which ruins Borthers in Arms and Going Home. I sent the 1st album back.... the replacement is just the same. I washed themwith a spin clear and no marks or debris are visible.

Has anyone else had the same problem with this album?

paulf-2007
16-11-2016, 17:21
Two weeks ago I bought online The Best Of Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler Private Investigations. Disc one sound superb and plays silently, however the opening track on each side of disk two plays with severe scratching & distortion which ruins Borthers in Arms and Going Home. I sent the 1st album back.... the replacement is just the same. I washed themwith a spin clear and no marks or debris are visible.

Not that album but others I've bought recently. As you did I cleaned them on my wet cleaner and no better.

Zoidburg
17-11-2016, 10:49
I recently returned a portishead album that was by far the worse pressing iv yet encountered. Even the shop agreed that it was crap when I returned it.

eisenach
17-11-2016, 11:11
Welcome back to the early 80s.
It reminds me why I was so pleased with my Philips CD100. Mind you, I'm sure the record companies were deliberately not taking as much care over LP pressings as they could/should have done. Using recycled vinyl in the mix didn't help.

Spectral Morn
17-11-2016, 11:59
Welcome back to the early 80s.
It reminds me why I was so pleased with my Philips CD100. Mind you, I'm sure the record companies were deliberately not taking as much care over LP pressings as they could/should have done. Using recycled vinyl in the mix didn't help.

Sadly bad pressings are part of ones relationship with vinyl and as demand puts pressure on pressing plants I suspect it will get worse.

Not much you can do except return and hope its not a bad batch with a faulty stamper, or a bad raw material batch - either way if so there will be many problem pressing rather than just one faulty one.

bob4333
17-11-2016, 13:06
Two weeks ago I bought online The Best Of Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler Private Investigations.

Unfortunately yes - same sort of problems with the same album: except both discs are affected to a greater or lesser degree.

Went through 3 copies (2 from Amazon, 1 from a local record store) and gave up, thinking this is probably as good as it gets with this album. Seemed like a problem inherent in the vinyl (too much recycled content?) - no amount of cleaning helped.

To make matters worse this was about 3 years ago so it seems like it's still going on!

paulf-2007
18-11-2016, 12:28
another I received was warped, not badly but not flat, the replacement was worse. I returned the worse one and kept the first one. It played ok and sounded good.

Dubster68
28-11-2016, 22:21
Had a few bad represses. I find buying albums is a little hit and miss. If you buy 60s 70s stuff it will be spot on compared to some of the vinyl pressed today. I have had to return a couple of new records due to poor pressing. And also had some spot on stuff. It must be down to what plant makes it.