PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Alex

Komistar
16-11-2016, 15:04
Hello
I have a quad 22 amp and control unit that my dad had in the attic. We also found his old thorens td 160 record player. I dug it up and started getting interested. We got everything serviced, working and it sounds great! I got a pair of Rogers Jr149s to go with it. There is a slight problem with them wich is how I found this forum. I replaced the capacitors on them and they sound a million times better. We also got a pioneer ct-f4040 to get into my dad's cassette collection. I picked it mostly for the design and that it was mint in box. It had probably only been out the box once or twice and put away again. My dad got a quad fm1 radio tuner which doesn't work.

I like the old classics: elvis, buddy Holly, Beatles to modern pop.

Macca
16-11-2016, 15:12
Hi Alex and welcome. Lots of quality vintage gear you have there, fancy sticking some pictures of it in The Gallery section for us?

Clifford.T Ward
16-11-2016, 15:21
Hi and welcome......love vintage Quad gear it looks and sounds cooll

I'm a really big Beatles fan and love Buddy Elvis and 60s too!:)

Komistar
16-11-2016, 19:20
Hi Martin
Sure, I can take a couple pictures in the morning when there's better light. I'm not too sure how to upload pictures on here.

Macca
16-11-2016, 19:29
Use a hoster like photobucket or imageshack. Upload the pic to there, copy the img link and just paste it into your message here.

Spectral Morn
16-11-2016, 21:04
Welcome to AoS

walpurgis
16-11-2016, 21:44
Hi Alex. Welcome yo AOS.

Tell us what you plan for that nice equipment you have, like upgrades and so forth.

You'll find plenty of useful info here.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Komistar
17-11-2016, 13:53
Hello
Here's a picture of my setup.
http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/150x100q90/923/pkE3rJ.jpg (https://imageshack.com/i/pnpkE3rJj)
It's not finished yet, I plan to get the control unit and radio flush mounted into the draws so its a bit neater. The old rca connectors on the control unit will be replaced with gold plated ones as they are really corroded and the connectors I have are very loose in them. I'm planning on making a new plinth for the record deck. Possibly oak but might go for something that contrast the oak sideboard. We wanted to get a new plastic dust cover as this one has a big crack in the side. But I'm not too bothered about it the moment. The quad equipment will need repainted as the paint has scratches and don't match. The speakers are being repaired. I have finished the recapping with a falcon acoustics kit and have got new foam covers that need to be put on. We have started making a solid oak top and bottom to replace the vaneered ones as they were all scratched and dinged. There is a problem with one of the speakers, the bass doesn't seem to work. Could anyone help me with that? The speakers below them are wharfedale laser 60's. We're using them as temporary stands while I try to find brackets for the 149's. That's all I have planned at the moment, what do you think? If your wondering what's behind the cassette deck its a bell and Howell 606H 8mm projector to watch old films on.

HackneyRF
17-11-2016, 14:42
Welcome Alex

Nice looking kit there, especially that TD160. But then I am quite partial to them! Hope you enjoy the forum

Regards

Loz

Barry
26-11-2016, 21:02
Welcome to AoS Alex.

Umm - vintage, classic gear used to listen to classic pop and rock. Love it. :)

Quad still service their valve gear, so you ought to be able to get your FM1 tuner repaired easily. Quad's after-sales service is second to none, and the staff are very helpful.

Enjoy the Forum
Barry