PDA

View Full Version : Revox B710 service advice

neonknight
09-12-2009, 21:33
Hi All!

I wonder whether you can help? I bought myself a Revox B710 from a German ebayer earlier this year and, though it has brought me a lot of pleasure, it has also chewed a couple of tapes. The solution, I thought, was to replace the pinch rollers but that didn't work. I'm not expert in these things so have concluded that I would like to get my pride and joy serviced. I'm in Kent, England. Does anybody have any recommendations as to who I should go to?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

Neon

Spectral Morn
09-12-2009, 21:58
Hi All!

I wonder whether you can help? I bought myself a Revox B710 from a German ebayer earlier this year and, though it has brought me a lot of pleasure, it has also chewed a couple of tapes. The solution, I thought, was to replace the pinch rollers but that didn't work. I'm not expert in these things so have concluded that I would like to get my pride and joy serviced. I'm in Kent, England. Does anybody have any recommendations as to who I should go to?

Neon

Alex Nikitin ( http://theartofsound.net/forum/member.php?u=830) might be willing to help PM him, he is a member here. Or there is Brian Reeves at Service Sound who do Revox services.

Regards D S D L

Alex Nikitin
09-12-2009, 22:57
Hi All!

Neon

Hi Neon,

Can you tell how exactly the tape gets chewed? Does it go off the left or off the right pinch roller? If the roller replacement does not help it may be that one of the reel motors is dying. Sometimes it is possible to fix them, sometimes the only solution is a replacement. The Revox mech in a good condition should not chew even a thinnest C-120 tape. One way or another it won't be cheap, I suspect... .

Cheers

Alex

neonknight
10-12-2009, 07:38
Thanks for your quick responses! It's a few weeks since it last happened but to the best of my recollection when it chews the tape goes off the right pinch roller.

I assume there's no link but another thing that's happened to it is that it has started to not be able to sense the beginning and end of the tape when fast forwarding and rewinding - it just behaves like a normal tape player and goes right to the end and stops there. I read that can happen with certain brands of tape where the leader causes confusion but in my case it's occuring with any cassette I try

Its service record record refers to a service last year requiring "1WM - Motor, 1 Spulenteller, 1C" in case that also offers a clue.

Neon

neonknight
14-12-2009, 08:28
Just a quick note because I didn't want to leave this loose end. Alex and I have gone on to discuss this further by PM and he has been a great help.

Ian