PDA

View Full Version : FOR SALE REFERENCE 3A VEENA Mk2 SPEAKERS

Sondekker
14-11-2016, 12:04
Up for sale is a pair of Reference 3A Veena Mk2 floor standers in the premium black gloss finish.

Reference 3A speakers are manufactured in Canada and are not that common in the UK. They are very well regarded and are a little unusual in that they contain a sloping front baffle and do not use an internal crossover. They are fairly efficient and offer a near constant 8 ohm load and are therefore easy to drive. They give a very clean, transparent and immediate sound.

A lot more information can be found below.

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazine/equipment/0606/reference_3a_veena_loudspeaker.htm

http://www.hifiplus.com/articles/reference-3a-veena-mk-ii-loudspeakers/?page=2

Also attached are some photos which I found quite difficult because of the reflections caused by the gloss finish and the flash on my camera.

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a636/Sondekker/IMG_8458_zps0xy1pnyy.jpg

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a636/Sondekker/IMG_8461_zpsllpgxiam.jpg

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a636/Sondekker/IMG_8459_zpsyvnz1hu8.jpg

The speakers are in very good condition, however, in prepping them for photographing I noticed a chip to the very bottom front edge of one of them. The black gloss finish also shows a small number of pin-head blemishes here and there.

This pair were sold by the importer (Absolute Analogue) in May 2014 and so they are just 2.5yrs old. They currently retail at £3.5k and the importer currently has a seven year old pair of these on special offer at £1650.

I am asking £1050 for this pair.

I do not have any boxes for them and so it is collection only from Ipswich, Suffolk where they can be viewed and auditioned. Alternatively, I would be prepared to deliver or meet up a reasonable distance.

hughandella
16-11-2016, 09:14
Nice looking and a good price John --- I've not heard these but did hear standmount version and they were v good -- good reviews online too...... I don't have the funds unfort - but a nice christmas treat for someone !

gerlando
16-11-2016, 10:02
Gorgeous speakers!
I had the Dulcet and they were stunning!
GLWTS.

Sondekker
18-11-2016, 08:48
Thanks for the comments and observations.

Still available

Sondekker
20-11-2016, 13:42
On the off chance that someone might be interested in these superb speakers but is put off by the prospect and cost of travelling to Ipswich to collect them, I thought it might be worth mentioning that I will be travelling to Chester on Tuesday (22 Nov).

I will therefore be travelling through the eastern counties and the midlands on my way to the north west and would be happy to meet or drop them off personally if anyone would like to have them....?

Sondekker
25-11-2016, 15:46
Bump

A very nice treat for Christmas perhaps...

Sondekker
27-11-2016, 21:21
Bump

Sondekker
30-11-2016, 13:55
A couple of enquiries and questions but no firm commitment to buy thus far.

In respect of the enquiries I've received:-

I have been driving these speakers with a 'tannoy version' Croft 7R (25-30 watts I believe) which is at the lower end of the manufacturer's recommended 20-120 watts power requirement. They have performed really well. I do not know whether further sound quality improvements would be forthcoming if they were driven by a higher powered amplifier, however, according to the reviews I attached it is 'quality watts' that are most important.

In my room I have had to site them very close to a rear wall (4-6 inches) slightly overhanging a 2 metre wide recess which is 1 metre deep which contains French doors leading to my garden. I have not had any problems with the rear port when used in this position although in the attached reviews, one reviewer thought they sounded best around 40 inches from the rear wall the other recommended they be placed at least one foot from the rear wall.

Finally, although they are a similar height to the Kudos C2's I previously owned, the sloping front baffle means they are barely 4 inches deep at the top and when located in my room they looked noticeably smaller and more compact. Hell....even my wife likes the look of them and she hates my hi-fi with a vengeance!

Sondekker
02-12-2016, 15:57
Still here...

Still prepared to deliver or meet up to 150 miles.....?

hughandella
02-12-2016, 22:39
Can't understand these not selling but it's strange at times ...... I'm pleased to say that sale of MAD did go through and buyer delighted with them, I'm not rubbing it in --- just sure that buyer of these will come along and be happy too !

walpurgis
02-12-2016, 22:46
I'm surprised too. Reference speakers are superb. They produce some of the best imaging I've heard, with great transparency.

loveoscar
03-12-2016, 07:28
Yes, recommended them to someone looking for speakers to match his Rega amp. Would have been interested had I not recently purchased my present speakers which I am extremely happy with.

Sondekker
04-12-2016, 18:56
Nice to read the positive comments, so thanks for them.

I know from looking around the various forums that there is an enormous amount of high quality equipment being offered for sale at very attractive prices but with not a great number of sales seemingly being achieved. I did think that at just 2.5 years old and being offered at less than a third of current retail, these superb and very well regarded speakers would sell quickly. A sign of the times perhaps?

Sondekker
10-12-2016, 10:27
Bump

Sondekker
14-12-2016, 19:41
O come all ye faithful

O come ye, o come ye to ...Ipswich where you can listen to these beautiful speakers and if you decide to purchase know that you'll be ever joyful and triumphant

And don't forget that Santa's sleigh is still waiting to deliver or meet any distance up to 150 miles

:)

Droog
14-12-2016, 19:54
Hell of a fine pair of loudspeakers......Absolute Steal.

Cant have em, cause ive got far to many.

Sondekker
17-12-2016, 17:24
Jingle Bells...

hughandella
17-12-2016, 18:20
such a bargain these and John is great to deal with and really looks after his gear ..... suffice to say if a couple of things of mine sell i may be after these myself ... slowly getting close to a 'keeper' pair and I suspect these are right up my strasse !

Sondekker
22-12-2016, 19:32
Pre-Christmas bump

Sondekker
09-01-2017, 13:28
Post Christmas bump

Sondekker
14-01-2017, 15:42
A bit of continuing interest but still available....

farflungstar
14-01-2017, 15:56
I'm on the look out for a second set for my office but living in Spain means second hand speaker buys are nigh impossible! Frustrating. I can't belief price is holding them back - bargain.
Adey

In perpetual pursuit.

speedracer
14-01-2017, 21:16
Cannot believe these haven't been taken by now. They really are superb, had a pair at my house last weekend & on the end of my 15wpc Art Quintet they sounded fantastic. Stone cold bargain.

Sondekker
16-01-2017, 16:30
I'm on the look out for a second set for my office but living in Spain means second hand speaker buys are nigh impossible! Frustrating. I can't belief price is holding them back - bargain.
Adey

In perpetual pursuit.

Cannot believe these haven't been taken by now. They really are superb, had a pair at my house last weekend & on the end of my 15wpc Art Quintet they sounded fantastic. Stone cold bargain.

Thanks for your observations chaps.

It is nice to get some positive comments from people who have actually heard them and are aware of their capabilities. I don't quite know why but virtually all of the serious enquiries I've had have come from people living at the other end of the country! The lack of original boxes and packaging materials has already prevented a couple of possible sales.

Ideally, I really wanted to be able to demonstrate these to any potential purchaser so that they could see them and listen to them. However, I'm still prepared to deliver a reasonable distance if anyone wishes to take a punt on them.

Sondekker
19-01-2017, 14:26
Although these speakers are continuing to generate messages and enquiries both here and on PFM, at this moment they remain available.

Sondekker
25-01-2017, 13:34
Still here :scratch:

Sondekker
31-01-2017, 17:24
Bumpity

Sondekker
03-02-2017, 16:42
Open to sensible offers for these superb speakers before I give up on selling them..........Anyone?

Sondekker
10-02-2017, 11:27
Friday bump

Spectral Morn
10-02-2017, 11:44
These are excellent speakers, had a pair in my system a number of years ago and other Reference 3A speakers, I also own a pair of Dulcet's.

I think the issue is lack of packing, not the price.

Contact Simon at http://www.absoluteanalogue.co.uk/ see if he can sell you boxes, yes selling price will have to go up, but having boxes will get you a sale.

My advice was always keep the boxes, or don't buy if there are no boxes unless you plan to keep the item forever, and yes I know only too well how much hassle keeping boxes is. I have a roofspace full of boxes and the garage has many too. I tend to keep boxes of kit I plan to keep in the roofspace and oversized or kit I might sell in the garage.

Anyway good luck with the sale.

tapid
10-02-2017, 11:57
The number of people who have the original packaging on ebay is amazingly low. Quite agree about the effort of storing boxes, but its worth it.

alphaGT
10-02-2017, 17:12
True, possession of the original containers adds to resale value! Worth buying new boxes to make the sale.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sondekker
10-02-2017, 19:42
Thanks everyone. I fully agree with what you've all said about the value of keeping the original boxes etc. In fact I have the original boxes for every bit of hifi equipment I've ever purchased stored in my loft. The problem is that I purchased the Veena's in the full knowledge that they did not have their original boxes. to

The background is that having taken early retirement some six months ago, I wanted to treat myself to a pair of quality speakers that would provide an upgrade on the Kudos C2's I'd owned for quite a long time. The main requirement was for a pair of floor standers that would be easily driven by my Croft 7R power amp.

Based solely on hours reading reviews on the net, I decided to buy the Veena's and a pair of Spendor D7's (blind) with a view to inserting both pairs in my system and keeping the pair I preferred.

Unfortunately, that decision has not proven at all straightforward because both pairs are absolutely superb and I've had real difficulty making a decision. Indeed, I find myself wavering between both sets according to the type of music I am listening to.

In short, I decided to part with the Veena's simply because I paid just over a third what I paid for the D7's and I thought they would fly at the price I am asking, particularly bearing in mind the superb performance they offer.

It is because of the absence of boxes that I have offered to meet or deliver which is how I bought them in the first place.

I have been in contact with the importer who has confirmed that he does not have any spare boxes and that because the Veena's have now been replaced by the Episode's it is very unlikely the manufacturer would still have suitable boxes and even if he did, the cost of shipping the boxes to the importer and then on to me in Ipswich would be very expensive and likely prohibitive.

In conclusion I do appreciate everyone's comments and observations. The Veena's are beautiful and offer a very high quality sound for the moderate price I am asking.

farflungstar
10-02-2017, 19:49
I agree with what's been said. Boxes mean transportation is relatively straight forward. I still have my ANe boxes on the spare room.

Adey

In perpetual pursuit.

Bourney
11-02-2017, 07:59
A local packaging company would sort something for you no probs.

struth
11-02-2017, 09:30
Diffecult thing to safely box. Safer to personally transport or use a man in a van.

Sondekker
16-02-2017, 10:59
Manufacturer contacted but no longer has boxes for the Veenas.

So it is local collection or free personal delivery up to 150 miles......

Audio Al
16-02-2017, 12:57
You could easily get these packed professionally , two double boxes , high impact foam , bubble wrap etc

Sherwood
16-02-2017, 13:09
Depending upon the dimensions of the speaker (I myself have a pair of the Reference 3a de Capo speakers) you may find that one of the large crates produced by the reallyusefulbox company would suffice. I have one such box which takes both of my de Capos with just enough space to pad out the space around and between the speakers. Once packed there is no movement at all within the box and the boxes themselves are near indestructible.

Geoff

Sherwood
16-02-2017, 13:11
have a look at this one

http://www.reallyusefulstorageboxes.co.uk/145litre-really-useful-storage-box-c2x12597561

Geoff

Geoff101
16-02-2017, 14:04
It's still no guarantee for couriers. I once posted a speaker in original packaging that was dropped so hard, it sheared the magnet off the driver chassis. Not a mark on the cabinet.

Lawrence001
17-02-2017, 00:11
have a look at this one

http://www.reallyusefulstorageboxes.co.uk/145litre-really-useful-storage-box-c2x12597561

Geoff

Slight difference in size between the de capos and the veenas!

Sondekker
17-02-2017, 15:22
Thanks for the suggestions about use of bubble wrap and high impact foam and packaging them in appropriate boxes.

The manufacturer made a similar suggestion but also advised that because of their length and sloping front baffle, the Veenas were originally shipped 'top and tail' opposite each other in a single, rather large box supported by purpose designed foam inserts.

I have looked at the various suggested box options but none are really well suited to the shape and dimensions of these speakers and it is becoming clear that the cost of acquiring suitable boxes, a very long roll of wide bubble wrap plus the challenge of creating appropriate foam/polystyrene inserts to safely support the unusual shape of each speaker would be both costly and possibly beyond my capability to produce something that would be fit for purpose to endure the rigours involved in shipping.

And whilst I had quite a bit of serious interest early on from a number of potential purchasers from the other end of the country and in Scotland, the facts of the matter are that there doesn't appear to be any firm interest from a purchaser where shipping would be necessary.........is there?

So it remains local audition and collection from Ipswich or meet/delivery up to around 150 miles.

Anyone?

struth
17-02-2017, 15:33
I saw some strong cardboard wardrobe storage boxes on amazon ithink it was, that looked the right size for floorstanders. Filled with padding etc think they might be a bet for such things.. 1 per box though.. keeping weight down and handlability up, means less risk.
I wanted to sell some nice standmouts and bought packaging and two big boxes. Worked well using ups.

Lawrence001
17-02-2017, 15:54
The focus of this thread seems to have shifted from the positive benefits of the quality of the speakers to the negatives of not having any boxes which is certainly not uncommon. Maybe a new thread is justified here?

twotone
17-02-2017, 17:21
There's a website that will transport them for you door to door with no need to wrap them up like you would for a courier, can't remember the name of it but basically you go on the site and tell it where you are and where the speakers are going then you get offers from van drivers who are maybe traveling from the likes of Glasgow to London and are trying to fill their van and will deliver along the route for a fee.

Tony

Sondekker
17-02-2017, 18:13
The focus of this thread seems to have shifted from the positive benefits of the quality of the speakers to the negatives of not having any boxes which is certainly not uncommon. Maybe a new thread is justified here?

Thanks Lawrence,

I think you've made a very valid observation. It is probably worth repeating that these are a £3.5k pair of speakers that are very easy to drive and which do deliver a beautiful and high quality sound. In my system they have delivered exceptional performance and I have genuinely struggled to choose between these and the Spendor D7's I purchased at the same time. I don't believe any buyer would be disappointed with their condition and the sonic qualities on offer for £1k.

Sondekker
24-02-2017, 16:21
Now listed on ebay but still cheaper to buy here....

Sondekker
03-03-2017, 17:58
Still available, both here and on ebay.

Sondekker
16-03-2017, 15:24
Just under one week left on ebay with lots of watchers......but currently still available.

Sondekker
07-04-2017, 11:45
Now SOLD

Lawrence001
07-04-2017, 12:01
Well done mate someone got some lovely speakers there.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Tapatalk

Sondekker
07-04-2017, 13:15
Lawrence,

I can only agree. It is fairly commonplace to see sellers use the phrase 'I'll be sorry to see the item I'm selling go' but that is exactly how I felt about the Veenas. I don't know whether it is the absence of a crossover but there was something really special about these speakers which I miss. Unfortunately, one of the two pairs of speakers I bought had to go and these were far cheaper than the other pair and therefore (I thought) likely to be much easier to sell on....... it still took forever though! :scratch: