PDA

View Full Version : What do you do with broken styli?

rhythmbug
13-11-2016, 15:08
I've got a couple of knackered styli lying around. 150MLX and 150sa. One has a bent cantilever and the other is just old and sounding distorted. Are these worth flogging off on eBay as (not working) spare parts? Not sure they'd be any good to anyone. Obviously more expensive carts can be rebuilt. But just wondering what other people do with theirs...before I toss them in the bin.

Cheers

YNWaN
13-11-2016, 15:18
Do you mean from a moving magnet cartridge? if yes, then they are worthless.

hifi_dave
13-11-2016, 15:23
Not worth a bean.

Bodies are worth something.

helma
13-11-2016, 23:09
Somebody with enough patience and finesse might be able to bend the cantilever back straight, unless it's badly kinked. But I know some people have been fixing even broken ones with cactus thorn inserts, so it might be worth something to someone if the tip itself still has plenty of life left... can't imagine anyone paying much for it though.

CageyH
14-11-2016, 07:42
It is probably cheaper to buy a new stylus then pay to get them fixed.

Apologies for the thread hijack, but what did you think of the SA compared to the MLX?

DSJR
14-11-2016, 11:34
ESCo do wonderful things with splicing and repairs to cantilevers, but this only becomes value for money if it's a once expensive MC type. A new 150 stylus wont cost as much, or if it is more, very little more I suspect...

rdpx
14-11-2016, 11:39
A new 150sa stylus is about £200. If you send it to Expert stylus they should be able to retip the worn one with one of their Paratrace diamonds for £85. I'd say that was worth a try as you might find it's better than the AT shibata.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

DSJR
14-11-2016, 12:19
£85 is fine with me, but I got an impression that cantilevers were bent or broken too. Sorry if I misunderstood it.

Old and distorted could just mean a VERY thorough clean is necessary first before condemning it. The AT607 cleaning fluid is perfect for this and it transformed an old Supex 900E and a Stilton OC9, certainly giving them a little more life...