PDA

View Full Version : Back in fron the Darkside........

Unomelodica
13-11-2016, 13:35
Hey Guys / Gals

Thought id take few minutes to introduce Moi - Long time lurker , more accustomed to home cinema and been in a constant need to be at the cutting edge syndrome box swapping infliction...... I'm now cured, really I am ! . Just reacquainting my self with my 2nd love all those years ago, 2 channel.

Due to the dynamics of home, late night listening was constrained to head-if, now having my own man cave I can indulge. I'll be retaining my Stax 009 and sennheiser 800 , as these still bring enjoyment during those quite moments . I suppose reflecting, one of my biggest regrets was selling my Trio/Kenwood L-07D all those years ago, what was I thinking !

Currently, a blank canvas apart from a Kenwood KD990 recently picked up from Paul of the parish . Looking at Harbeth P3esr/ 30.1 - Accuphase/Leben/Luxman/Lyngdorf/AR , priority is vinyl replay as I have a well sorted PC streaming solution.

I'll see how long the Kenwood lasts - sorry i did say i was cured ! , momentarily lapse !

I've collected vinyl for over 25 years - have an extensive collection of soul 2 step , jazz/ Brazilian/Funk. Hope to enjoy some musings and reflections around music,

'Music has the power to make me feel good like nothing else does. It gives me some peace for a while. Takes me back to who I really am' (Gil Scot Heron)

Gurdip

Macca
13-11-2016, 17:22
Hi Greg

Yes you made a big mistake flogging that Trio but we've all made those sort of errors before. Please fell free to put up some pictures of your kit and new man cave in the Gallery section. Please would you also define your geographic location a little more? Don't need your exact address, just country and region/city is fine. Thanks, and welcome to AoS.

walpurgis
13-11-2016, 21:35
Hello Greg. Welcome to AOS.

If you're virtually starting from scratch again with a stereo system, you have a vast range of options. Budget constraints are all that limit you.

Members here use a huge variety of equipment. Vintage gear being pretty popular. And justifiably so.

Have a look around the site. Mind you, if you've been lurking you probably know what's here.

Please join in any chat that interests you.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Unomelodica
13-11-2016, 22:17
Thanks guys - really appreciate the warm welcome

Yes the vintage side does appeal - once the system starts taking shape I'll post some pics up

Kr

G

walpurgis
13-11-2016, 22:29
Keep us informed. If you have an eye on anything, ask some questions about it here. Chances are somebody will have tried it or own it.

Also, the Private Exhibitions sales area is good for sourcing items. Wanted listings are permitted too.

RobbieGong
14-11-2016, 10:54
Hi Greg nice to have another 2 step soulster on board.
Very much into that myself - George Duke, Willie Bobo, Roy Ayers, Sergio Mendes, Esther Phillips, Curtis Mayfield, Leroy Hutson, Donny Hathaway, Weldon Irvine, Don Blackman, Barry White, Billy Paul, Bill Withers, Gwen Guthrie to name but a few on my system.
Totally relate to your last sentence by the way - nothing quite like what music does - A gift from God to us all I'd say. :)
Bless!

Unomelodica
14-11-2016, 11:06
hey rob that's great i thought i was the only one !

Looking forward to sharing our mutual musical insights .

G

RobbieGong
14-11-2016, 11:14
hey rob that's great i thought i was the only one !

Looking forward to sharing our mutual musical insights .

G

lol, It can feel a bit like that here, a lot of Prog lovers but I think the truth is that a lot of the members have a number of genres in their selection from rock, pop, soul, jazz, classical - reggae and so on.
I'm mainly two big camps - The best of 70's - 80's reggae (Marley, Bunny Wailer, Tosh, Burning Spear, Culture, Dennis Brown, Gregory Isaacs, Fredie Mcgregor........
and then the classic soul, rare groove, funk, jazz stuf you know about :)

Trio / Kenwood L07D eh!, a serious deck and you'd have to dig deep to buy a good one today.

Unomelodica
14-11-2016, 12:36
Rob

Although i don't collect reggae , i have to say that the lovers rock does it for me Louisa mark, carol Chompson & Gregory isaacs to name a few......

I know what was i thinking selling the Trio , well I'm back in the fold with a Kenwood KD990 - lets see where that takes me

G

RobbieGong
14-11-2016, 12:52
Rob

Although i don't collect reggae , i have to say that the lovers rock does it for me Louisa mark, carol Chompson & Gregory isaacs to name a few......

I know what was i thinking selling the Trio , well I'm back in the fold with a Kenwood KD990 - lets see where that takes me

G

Absolutely ! - used to have loads of lovers rock including Janet Kay, Louisa Marks and Carol Thompson but a lot of it took a fair bit of wear and tear, along with the wallpaper :eyebrows: when we played house parties in the 80's.

The KD990 looks fab !

Barry
26-11-2016, 23:14
Welcome to AoS Greg, glad you could join us.

I think you'll find that many members here have quite broad musical tastes, and although they may major on rock, pop, jazz or 'prog', will often have some soul, Motown, Atlantic or reggae tucked away in their music collection (well I have). :)

Enjoy the Forum
Barry