PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Daman

daman
13-11-2016, 12:17
Hello fellow members,

My hi-fi journey has come full circle, from details to just musical. I am currently enjoying the system synergy comprising of the following;

- Fisher X-101-B integrated amplifier
- Conrad Johnson PV10A (used as phono stage)
- Wharfedale Rosedale loudspeakers (equivalent to W70C model)
- Thorens TD-321 turntable/SME3009R tonearm/ Shure M91ED with N91ED Hi-Track elliptical stylus (prefer the original to the JICO SAS N91ED)
- Rega Planar 3 turntable/R200 tonearm/Technics EPC-270C cartridge with EPS-270SD conical stylus (prefer the conical over the EPS-270ED elliptical)
- NAD C565BEE CD player

I look forward to share and learn form members of this forum.

Regards,
Daman

Macca
13-11-2016, 18:43
Hi Daman

Some fascinating vintage gear that you have there, we don't see many Fisher valve amps in the UK. Several decades ago I passed up on buying some W series Wharfedales a couple of times because I didn't realise the potential. They were vintage even back then! Some pictures would be good if you have any to share.

walpurgis
13-11-2016, 21:39
Hi Daman. Welcome to AOS.

That's an unusual selection of equipment you have there. I'd imagine it makes some enjoyable sounds.

Take a look around the site and feel free to join in any chat that appeals to you.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

daman
15-11-2016, 04:32
Thanks guys. I have attached selected photos of my system.

daman
15-11-2016, 15:19
Hi Daman

Some fascinating vintage gear that you have there, we don't see many Fisher valve amps in the UK. Several decades ago I passed up on buying some W series Wharfedales a couple of times because I didn't realise the potential. They were vintage even back then! Some pictures would be good if you have any to share.

Macca,

I had been listening to Magneplanars since the 90s (SMGb and MG 1.4 models). About four years ago, I was at a repair shop and this guy set-up a system for me comprising of Musical Fidelity tube integrated (an E11 if I am not mistaken) and a pair of Janszen Z960 loudspeakers. The sound was amazingly musical to me especially at low level. He also replaced the loudspeakers with a pair of JBL Studio Master L200B, and the reproduction equals and better the Janszens by not much. Given a choice then, I would have taken either one.

Last year, I purchased a pair of Wharfedale Rosedales which was designed and manufacture at about the same time as the Janszens and JBLs. I would guessed the design and manufacture would have taken place during the end of the tube and beginning of solid state era. I thought these speakers would be best driven by tubes.

By the way I have another Fisher integrated amplifier, i.e., Fisher X-100-A. Both Fishers (X-101-B and Z-100-A) is a perfect match for the Wharfedale Rosedales. The current set-up was less than a year old and am enjoying every minute of it. And lately, I am enjoying elliptical and conical styli even more hence the elliptical Shure N91ED and Technics EPS 270-SD. Have been using line contact (MR, JICO SAS, Geiger II, etc) and they are all in the drawers now. This new set-up makes me enjoy my vinyl even more (from old to new).

The accelerating age and the yearning of the sound I grew up with could have contributed to this enjoyment. I have come full circle!

Regards,
Daman

Barry
26-11-2016, 23:31
Welcome to AoS Daman.

Yes some very interesting 'vintage' gear you use there. I heard your Wharfedales some forty five years ago whilst I was looking at tape decks. Never heard a Fisher, but I had a friend whose uncle use a Fisher receiver. They were always well-regarded.

Enjoy the Forum
Barry

daman
01-12-2016, 04:30
Welcome to AoS Daman.

Yes some very interesting 'vintage' gear you use there. I heard your Wharfedales some forty five years ago whilst I was looking at tape decks. Never heard a Fisher, but I had a friend whose uncle use a Fisher receiver. They were always well-regarded.

Enjoy the Forum
Barry

Barry,

Thanks for your response. I listened to both vintage elliptical (Shure M91ED with N91ED) and conical (Technics EPC 270C with EPS-270SD) for old records. I normally switch to N91ED JICO SAS and Shure V15vXMR (with JICO stylus) for critical listening. I am spoilt by the Fisher sound. Tried other tube amplifiers but kept returning to Fisher. When I got the Wharfedales, the local original local dealer matched it with Leak 20 amplifier as recommended. I think that was perfect as the Wharfedales worked fine with amplifier power rating of 30 watts and less. The Fishers fit the bill.

Happy listening.