PDA

View Full Version : Replacing an AV amp

Covenant
13-11-2016, 09:50
I have a Yamaha receiver that's getting a bit long in the tooth (maybe 9 years old) and want to replace it with a mid price AV amp. The Denon AVR-2300w has caught my eye and gets good reviews. One thing I want is plenty of HDMI sockets.
I am a bit out of touch with whats going on in the AV world, what do I need in the specification?

hifinutt
13-11-2016, 20:04
yes great amp . worth buying the next model up if you want pre outs to integrate with your hi fi . that's what I use

http://petertyson.co.uk/index.php/denon-avr-x3300w-av-receiver.html?___SID=U

you can probably shop around for a cheaper deal than this though

Covenant
14-11-2016, 19:26
Thanks Phil,
I will probably stick with the 2300 as I keep the hifi separate from the AV system.
Things have moved on a lot since I last looked at AV gear. HDMI is on 2.2 and there is now ARC HDMI so one remote can control the amp and TV. Lots to read up on over xmas!

skimminstones
14-11-2016, 19:30
ive got the model below, the 2200 and its been fine for me. All the HDMI ports i need and works fine.

Covenant
19-11-2016, 09:33
Anyone tried Dolby Atmos? Is it worth getting another two speakers that fire upwards?

Jac Hawk
05-01-2017, 21:17
As i've said in other threads, adding more and more speakers can be tricky, i've found siting 6 speakers hard enough and in my room i couldn't do 8 so 5.1 is where i draw the line at the moment, regarding a new amp i would look at last seasons models, what i mean by this is if you're happy with what you have sonically (you don't wan't 7.1 or atoms) but need HDMI then a new old stock amp will be significantly cheaper, plus you will more than likely get more power, higher quality, better sound and only miss out on the new fangled Dolby gizmo, the thing is in the A/V world unlike your traditional stereo amps which will have longer shelf lives cos at the end of the day an amp is an amp, there is always something new just around the corner and so in some cases a NOS A/V amp may be superseded after only a year.

Food for thought

Covenant
12-01-2017, 20:54
Thanks Jack, I bought the Denon and am very pleased with it. Is does a lot more than the old AV amp and has all the sockets I need.
The two upward firing speakers will remain an itch I will have to scratch at some point.
Next thing is a new 55 inch TV.........

Jac Hawk
12-01-2017, 21:04
Next thing is a new 55 inch TV.........

Cool, i can get discount on TV's and such like from my employer, let me know what you're after and when and i'll get you a price

Covenant
12-01-2017, 22:12
Great, i will bear that in mind.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Covenant
13-01-2017, 08:47
Oooh, sorry about calling you Jack when your name is Mike!

cpjvej2012
02-02-2019, 11:40
Im actually looking at replacing my Onkyo, I want to go with Denon AVR 1912 or the 230* series, wonderfully powerful receivers!

They have this magic whereby the make the room disappear... put a film or or even stereo music and the room just fades away - fantastic.

Im hoping to find one on ebay within my budget (£100) as I really want to give my speakers more power, the range of Denons I listed are 125Wpc - my Onk is around 40. Whilst the Onk is great, it lacks in function, you cant double up the HDMI and optical interfaces hwereas you can on the Denons. Plus more drive to the speakers.

Im off to look on ebay right now!! :)

Once the amp is sorted ill be lookin for a center speaker and two rears....possibly monitor audio dependant on budget.