PDA

View Full Version : Rega RP1 upgrade kit

wee tee cee
11-11-2016, 16:53
My RP1 deck was hobbled earlier this week when the cleaning fairy removed the stylus from the original carbon cartridge and sent it to hoover bag heaven. After much wailing and gnashing of teeth and searching through bins with a torch and marigolds I had to admit that the stylus had gone to a better place.

I posted a thread with my dilemma and the troops were generous with advice and help as always.

Easiest and cheapest fix was to buy a Rega carbon stylus-it just clips in place no hassle BUT when an opportunity arises to upgrade arises....well it would be rude not to.

Ordered the upgrade pack (a Rega bias cartridge/upgraded drive belt/wool matt.)

Arrived today, installed when I got home. I aint no turntable expert but the instructions regards installation were pretty good.

Belt went on no problem-just take the platter off and remove the original with the upgraded one.

Likewise the matt just replaces the original on top of the platter.

Set the bias weight to 1.75g on the slider.

Replacing the cart was more fiddly fortunately Rega supply an Allen key to do the job and a protractor to line it up.

I got there after about 30 minutes.

Initial impressions are very good (wish I had bought the RP1 with the performance pack pre fitted)

There is far less crackling and background noise. Soundstage is spot on with a more even handed/neutral sonic signature-the carbon was softer and less defined.

Well worth the money sonically. John Martyn solid air -the Abbey road recent half speed remaster would give my digital version pre remaster a good run for its money. Turntable sounds far more pacy and exact with lovely organic treatment to voices and instruments.

I knew the RP1 had potential,this has cemented my thinking-well worth the money for the upgrade....delighted!!!

hifi_dave
11-11-2016, 17:19
Rega make great turntables from budget to high end. They make great cartridges too, despite the negative comments from some quarters.

DSJR
11-11-2016, 17:24
Glad you like it. I know the Bias cartridge has had its tail tweaked a few times over the last thirty odd years...

Still, get a Carbon stylus to make it whole again and put it away until you need it again :) I keep coming back to it as where it's good it's very good indeed imo.

wee tee cee
11-11-2016, 18:02
May well do Dave and keep it in reserve.
The Carbon wasn't too shabby, the Bias just cleans up the sound and retrieves more detail.

The 24v motor/psu may well be on the horizon for me....

hifi_dave
11-11-2016, 18:15
Don't spend too much on it because the new Planar-1 is better and only £250. You could sell the RP1 and put the funds towards the PL1 -the balance should be less than the cost of the motor upgrade.

cjm123
13-11-2016, 09:40
As the proud owner of my little RP1 I must say IMHO the Carbon seems to do the bass and midrange really really well. If I had an observation (not criticism, that would be churlish at this price) it is that the HF seems to roll off a little but its all there. Glad you are pleased with the upgrade kit including Bias 2 as methinks it is a better cartridge than other favourites around the same price which IMHO can sound a tad academic and sterile. Must say though I struggled to get on with the white belt (an early sample) and prefer the thinner stock RP1 mat.

hifi Dave's last post has also interested me.....temptation again!

Chris

DSJR
13-11-2016, 14:56
It's the finish chaps - lovely to behold. the Planar 1 has the 24V motor as standard I think.

hifi_dave
13-11-2016, 15:00
Planar-1 has the 24v motor.

wee tee cee
14-11-2016, 18:25
My good lady bought me new vinyl for my birthday-grace and danger,one world my JM collection grows.....Rp1 is sounding rather nice!!!

struth
14-11-2016, 18:29
happy birthday Tony t:)c

wee tee cee
15-11-2016, 17:55
Thanks Grant....Im having great fun playing vinyl again

brian2957
15-11-2016, 17:57
Even at your age :D

wee tee cee
19-11-2016, 16:05
Pot-Kettle!!!!

brian2957
19-11-2016, 16:08
Kettle-pot :ner:

YNWaN
19-11-2016, 19:49
I don't know at what price you get the Rega TT power supply but that makes a big difference to pitch stability.