PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Chris in North Yorkshire

Buck Boogie
06-11-2016, 11:32
Hi, my name is Chris and I'd just like to introduce myself to this great forum. My musical tastes are pretty broad depending on my mood, everything from AC/DC, UFO, Van Halen to Vivaldi taking in punk, Brit pop and female vocal along the way!

I've been into HiFi for many years, ever since getting a Saturday job in my local shop in the 1970's which allowed an upgrade from a Fidelity record player to my first separates system comprising JA-S22 amplifier, JVC KD-A22 cassette deck, a turntable that I can't even remember and a pair of Ram 150 speakers. This did me well for several years until leaving school and getting a job where I got to know some real hi-fi enthusists and with a little more money in my pocket was on the upgrade path again. Out went the JVC amp to be replaced with A&R A60 and the 'unknown turntable' was replaced with Thorens TD160 B Mk II which I bought from a work colleague. The Thorens has a Hadcock GH228 tonearm and A&R C77 cartridge and was originally supplied by ATR Audio Trade. There have been a few changes over the years, mainly amps, the A60 was replaced with Arcam Alpha and then Audiolab 8000A (or may have been the other way round), a Rotel RCD-865 CD player was added and the Ram 150's were replaced with Kef Cresta's on Atacama stands. As all my CD's migrated onto hard disc drive the CD player went and the amp was changed once more to a Rotel RA-01 which together with the TD160 and bi-wired Kef Cresta's is my current setup.

It's been a while now since I thought about upgrading but I'm getting the urge again and the TD160 is where I'm looking first. It's a great turntable but I can't help thinking much has changed in electronics and materials since the 1970's that might extract a little more from those grooves! Problem is I'm not sure what the TD160 is worth or what to replace with, Rega Planar 3, ProJect???

Cheers

Chris

walpurgis
06-11-2016, 11:40
Hello Chris. Welcome to AOS.

Don't underestimate the TD160, it's still a very nice turntable. I'd sooner have one than a Rega or ProJect. It has potential for upgrading, as has been featured here a few times. If you do a search you should find info.

If you have any plans for the rest of the system, we'd like to hear what you have in mind.

Take a look around the site and join in any chat that appeals to you. The members are friendly! :)

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Spectral Morn
09-11-2016, 09:57
Welcome to AoS

anthonyTD
09-11-2016, 10:07
Welcome Chris.:)
A...

The Black Adder
09-11-2016, 14:01
Hi Chris.

Welcome to AOS... Enjoy! :)

AlfaGTV
10-11-2016, 19:03
Welcome Chris!
I wouldn't dismiss the TD-160, it is a well constructed tt, with a potential to sound really good!

Barry
26-11-2016, 22:16
Welcome to AoS Chris,

Another thumbs up from me regarding your Thorens TD160. Don't dismiss it or replace it - it offers ample opportunity for fettling! I would be inclined to keep the Hadcock arm as well.

Enjoy the Forum
Barry