PDA

View Full Version : WANTED Dynavector SUP-200 step up transformer

WESTLOWER
03-11-2016, 13:46
WANTED Dynavector SUP-200 step up transformer
Anyone got one they would like to move on..??

WESTLOWER
12-11-2016, 00:00
Bump

WESTLOWER
14-11-2016, 09:39

Anyone??

WESTLOWER
18-11-2016, 09:55
Anyone??
lots of Beer tokens waiting for this SUT...

WESTLOWER
22-11-2016, 10:49
Anyone??

still looking

worrasf
22-11-2016, 11:29
Hi Adam (I know no help to you in your quest)
I had one a few years ago to go with a Dynavector DV 20 X2 - but sold it on when I got my Croft headamp
Steve

WESTLOWER
24-11-2016, 14:12
Hi Adam (I know no help to you in your quest)
I had one a few years ago to go with a Dynavector DV 20 X2 - but sold it on when I got my Croft headamp
Steve

Cheers Stephen…!

Still looking! More Beer Tokens available

RothwellAudio
24-11-2016, 16:08
May I ask why you want this particular step-up transformer? It doesn't appear from the specs to be anything out of the ordinary, ie it has a 1:20 turns ratio and the other specs seem quite normal. Would a different 1:20 SUT suffice?

petrat
24-11-2016, 16:16
He has a very good Dynavector cartridge, so looking for the 'made-to-match' step-up.

Arkless Electronics
24-11-2016, 16:31
Things often don't work out that way! It is a common mistake to assume that one item made by a particular manufacturer "must" be the best "match" for another item made by the same manufacturer... as the song says "it ain't necessarily so"... often different engineers or even different departments of the company may be responsible for the designs. Apart from this, some items may be regarded as pretty much generic or universal ie a 20:1 step up transformer properly designed for maximum bandwidth, lowest hum pick-up etc etc can be expected to work well with any MC cart needing a 20:1 ratio rather than being optimum for one specific model.

worrasf
24-11-2016, 18:08
Things often don't work out that way! It is a common mistake to assume that one item made by a particular manufacturer "must" be the best "match" for another item made by the same manufacturer... as the song says "it ain't necessarily so"... often different engineers or even different departments of the company may be responsible for the designs. Apart from this, some items may be regarded as pretty much generic or universal ie a 20:1 step up transformer properly designed for maximum bandwidth, lowest hum pick-up etc etc can be expected to work well with any MC cart needing a 20:1 ratio rather than being optimum for one specific model.

So, I didn't want to say anything in case I was accused of "dissing" but I sold my SUP-200 because I just didn't think it was up to much. Especially at the price. I bought it specifically to "go with" my DV 20-X2 but I found it a bit "pedestrian". To my ears it was bettered by the Art Audio SUT's I bought off an AoS member (still have them as a backup) and way bettered by the Croft valve headamp I am now using.
Just my opinion after having used one.
Steve

WESTLOWER
25-11-2016, 09:29
So, I didn't want to say anything in case I was accused of "dissing" but I sold my SUP-200 because I just didn't think it was up to much. Especially at the price. I bought it specifically to "go with" my DV 20-X2 but I found it a bit "pedestrian". To my ears it was bettered by the Art Audio SUT's I bought off an AoS member (still have them as a backup) and way bettered by the Croft valve headamp I am now using.
Just my opinion after having used one.
Steve

Interesting Stephen, thanks for your input.

RothwellAudio
25-11-2016, 10:20
Interesting Stephen, thanks for your input.

As far as transformers go, the lower the cartridge impedance the better the performance. Some of Dynavector's cartridges have nice low source impedances (5 or 6 ohms) but some have rather higher impedance at 24 ohms and 32 ohms.
Anyway, if you're prepared to consider alternatives I have high quality 1:10 and 1:20 step-up transformers available. I can also offer a head amp with selectable gain and load impedances.

RothwellAudio
26-11-2016, 13:07

BTW, if you wanted to try the Headspace there's one for sale here on the forum
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?47724-Rothwell-Headspace-head-amp