PDA

View Full Version : Ocellia calliope grandis signature .21 speakers. F.s.

hornucopia
02-11-2016, 16:07
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/ocellia/ocellia.html

When you have half an hour to spare, have a read here.
Then especially note the bit that says
“Between what I heard at Ocellia and PHY, I'm supremely comfortable to pronounce already that absent of ultimate bass extension and heft below about 35Hz, the Sound From Panjas was the most refined, non-mechanical, liquid, organic and resolved sound I've experienced yet”

Interested?
I might be selling my pristine pair soon. Lightly used, carefully kept. But increasing tinnitus and domestic situation means they have hardly been used. Will be £7250. (List over £12K)
I have the packing boxes but would rather they were listened to and collected –or I’ll deliver within 100 miles of Bristol +
No non-UK sales.
They are a special speaker. Once heard, kept.
Chris in Bristol
Photos available; send e-address.

montesquieu
03-11-2016, 01:23
Oh my goodness Chris ... you can't be selling these .. I haven't heard them yet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Berni217
03-11-2016, 07:33
Lovely speakers! The PHYs are so so sweet.... Good luck Chris.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

jandl100
03-11-2016, 07:40
What struck me most when I heard these at Chris's place a few years ago was the astonishing performance at low levels.
Jaw dropping transparency, delicacy, presence and resolution without any need to turn the wick up, although they could certainly do loud as well.
I've not heard that sort of ability to that degree before or since.

User211
03-11-2016, 15:11
Definitely listen to them first... blind buying would be madness here.

They are quite Marmite I think.

hornucopia
05-11-2016, 11:02
Stunned by Jerry's lovely appreciation of these! The fiver's on its way!
Such a subtle way to value their qualities, and on the button!

I'm in no hurry to lose them-comments like this reminds me to listen again.

jandl100
05-11-2016, 11:57
Fiver not needed, Jerry speak truth..... Or at least, my honest opinion. :)

Not the speakers I would choose for Justin -style "slam rock". But simply astonishing for low to medium level moderate scale music.

Perhaps more marmite than most speakers, but very easy to fall in love with with suitable musical genres.

A must-hear if you have the £spondoolies, imo.

hornucopia
05-11-2016, 18:48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBaHPND2QJg

Just to give you all a warm feeling inside, some lovely music. I loved the way people in Spain -a country I love - found ways to protest Banking hassles.
And,Jerry, this sounds pretty good on Ocellias!

Berni217
06-11-2016, 11:02
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBaHPND2QJg

Just to give you all a warm feeling inside, some lovely music. I loved the way people in Spain -a country I love - found ways to protest Banking hassles.
And,Jerry, this sounds pretty good on Ocellias!

Lovely indeed :)

hornucopia
10-11-2016, 10:42
Cheer your life up with wonderful music. Makes the apparent troubles of the world recede-for a while!

(And, just think, somewhere in the world there's a craftsman making these wondeful things)

hornucopia
12-11-2016, 17:32
Will boost this after next Premium Bond draw.....I thought my luck was in when this month 'Male,Bristol' with same £££s bonds as me, won £1M (No it wasn't me...)

hornucopia
31-12-2016, 11:41
Happy listening to all music fans in 2017.

Just playing 'Trojan explosion' -History of Reggae CDs on the Ocellias today!

Berni217
01-01-2017, 09:27
Happy New Year Chris!

hornucopia
21-07-2017, 16:08
Happy holidays (as our US idiots say) Bernie.
Speakers stil here-I still have occasional evenings listening when wife out!

hornucopia
06-10-2017, 11:21
Still here, sounding divine as ever, on the rare occasions I listen.
We're slowly lightening our possessions as we age! The (2nd) car went 10 days ago.
Logically, I should sell the Leak 3090s -they're BIGGER!...but.....
Anyway, just listen to the lyrics of Boz scaggs 'Desire' and remember....it's all 'stuff'.

Audio Al
06-10-2017, 11:39
Wow if only I had the dosh :eyebrows:

hornucopia
14-10-2017, 16:43
Even-as recommended by our own Jerry!

Berni217
14-10-2017, 21:52
Lovely speakers these ... and I know what the PHY drivers are capable of!
B.

hornucopia
15-10-2017, 14:57
Yep.....I bet that Monbrison is good into your PHYs.

(I use a battery op 'Stereo Coffee LDR' into Pass F3)

Berni217
15-10-2017, 21:38
Yep.....I bet that Monbrison is good into your PHYs.

(I use a battery op 'Stereo Coffee LDR' into Pass F3)

The Shindo is a wonderful piece of art electronic. Blends well with the McIntosh.

hornucopia
17-10-2017, 14:37
Us connoisseurs must stick together! Have been tempted by Shindo (Jeff Day's fault!) before. But keeping off valves.

hornucopia
03-11-2017, 11:32
Happy anniversary to this ad!
The 'downsizing' continues.....started by the LPs going 18 months ago, then the Rock T/T......the Citroen XM went recently.
So; anyone want to treat themselves to a lovely sound?

Berni217
03-11-2017, 13:34
I am surprised this has not sold yet! If I had the cash, I would have considered replacing the A23 Solovox. The Ocellias are built like musical instruments and host my favourite PHY drivers. Pieces of Art!

One has just been sold on an Australian forum https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/234557-ocellia-calliope-30-silver-full-range-12-speaker/.

montesquieu
03-11-2017, 13:45
I am surprised this has not sold yet! If I had the cash, I would have considered replacing the A23 Solovox. The Ocellias are built like musical instruments and host my favourite PHY drivers. Pieces of Art!

One has just been sold on an Australian forum https://www.stereo.net.au/forums/topic/234557-ocellia-calliope-30-silver-full-range-12-speaker/.

I'd really like to hear these still! A year gone by and I've never managed to come over.

jandl100
03-11-2017, 16:13
I'd really like to hear these still! A year gone by and I've never managed to come over.

I think you'd love them, Tom - from my own listening at Chris's place I would strongly suspect that they are quite superb at lieder. ;)
The low level transparency and delicacy may well be the best I have heard.

hornucopia
28-11-2017, 14:37
No lieder on site, but it works equally well with Fado -or Flamenco, as folk know.
No corkage charge for folk bringing (CD only) Classical etc.! to listen to.
Treat yourself for the season?

hornucopia
25-03-2018, 16:28
Easter hols next possible Tom visit, I guess. the suspense is....dwindling?
Each time I play the Calliopes, i'm glad they're still here.
Maybe I should sell the Leak 3090s and shift these upstairs; you only have one life.

montesquieu
25-03-2018, 19:07
Easter hols next possible Tom visit, I guess. the suspense is....dwindling?
Each time I play the Calliopes, i'm glad they're still here.
Maybe I should sell the Leak 3090s and shift these upstairs; you only have one life.

That's a thought. The wife is away on a research trip from Saturday for a fortnight so I'm actually at a loose end on the bank hol.

Maybe I should drop over and take the opportunity to drop in on Justin as well if he's about :) expand my experience of Apogees though I have actually like what ones I've heard.

User211
25-03-2018, 22:17
That's a thought. The wife is away on a research trip from Saturday for a fortnight so I'm actually at a loose end on the bank hol.

Maybe I should drop over and take the opportunity to drop in on Justin as well if he's about :) expand my experience of Apogees though I have actually like what ones I've heard.

We're pretty close to each other so it would be easy.

My god though the difference between my speakers and Chris's is absolutely immense! Do Chris's first, then get prepared for a shock!;):lol:

jandl100
26-03-2018, 06:49
Yes, big differences in presentation and intention.

Maybe do Justin's first and then relax from the hyperkinetic onslaught with Chris's. :)

Mike Reed
26-03-2018, 08:04
Just happened on this thread, and glad I did. CHRIS, that video of the 'Choral' coda brought tears to my eyes; first time a U-tube video (or indeed anything) has done that fot the best part of a long time, AND on my computer with crappy headphones. Emotionally superb. Thanks (I think). G.L.W.S.

User211
26-03-2018, 14:24

Maybe do Justin's first and then relax from the hyperkinetic onslaught with Chris's. :)Made me smile. I'll stick with the 211s so he doesn't experience half a Kilowatt as per your last visit:D

montesquieu
01-04-2018, 19:38
Just a quick report on my visit today to hear these at Chris's place. First impression is of beautiful curvy cabinets and a substantial presence in the room - really nice lookers (high WAF score for sure).

Soundwise, they are quite different to Tannoys ... Chris mentioned that one reviewer had described them as being like giant headphones which to me felt like a good summary. My comparison would have been more with electrostatics ... in particular, very pure with vocals and solo instrumental music.

I've had 'full range' single drivers myself before and most don't do bass in any convincing way. By contrast, the Ocellias have an adjustable vent/porting arrangement at the rear that allows tuning to the room and I was surprised just how low they went in-room. (The Ocellias are full range with the single driver augmented by a tweeter/supertweeter)

I played some of my usual stuff but we soon forgot about hifi and just got into tunes .. I came away with a few performers to look into, flamenco guitarists especially. (Thanks Chris).

Anyway for people attracted to the idea of less is more - no crossovers and consequently no crossover-induced phase issues to worry about, also easy to drive with flea power thanks to 96db sensitivity - these are definitely well worth looking into.

walpurgis
01-04-2018, 19:53
The cabinets are unusual. Clearly a 'low energy storage' design, with thin walls and lightweight internal bracing. It's an idea I rather like and one that has been used to good effect elsewhere. I may give it a try in a speaker project sometime.

Berni217
01-04-2018, 20:24
Ocellia speakers are built like musical instruments to get the most out of the PHY drivers, which produce significant amount of energy.

The Ocellia design is very different to my A23 Solovox, so I would be interested to know if they also make the enclosures disappear with music played as if in space before you and not from speakers...

hornucopia
25-06-2018, 09:33
Yes, Berni. Just so; they seem to 'get out of the way' somehow.
Ocellia speakers are built like musical instruments to get the most out of the PHY drivers, which produce significant amount of energy.

The Ocellia design is very different to my A23 Solovox, so I would be interested to know if they also make the enclosures disappear with music played as if in space before you and not from speakers...

hornucopia
21-02-2019, 11:14
Just listening again, whilst catching up on mail. Amazing on guitars and voice. Never slightest regret at selling the Duos (after my 1/4 century of horns!).
Just that life draws in, we're shedding things to deal with age and retirement (and...dare I think, moving?)
Given up on big car after many in life.
Once the Ocellias and Leak 3090s go, I'll be looking at something small.(Kroma Audio 'Mimi' maybe?)
But...tomorrow never comes.

hornucopia
23-02-2019, 15:06
Check here for link.
http://www.ocellia.com/Anglais/a-ocelliaa.html

(Press the links at top of page when it opens, for more info)

hornucopia
29-03-2019, 14:52
"Keen' buyer has gone v.quiet, so.....still here for me to enjoy.
Not today, as I'm enjoying the sunshine (and the thought of Ole happily running United!)
Life ain't bad (if my insomnia ever leaves me)

hornucopia
11-04-2019, 13:33
Still here - so am I.
Always pleased to hear them when I get the inclination. They ARE lovely.

hornucopia
24-04-2019, 14:23
Getting tempted by some tiny gems***. so open to a haggle.

***Kroma Mimis!

hornucopia
16-08-2019, 11:12
Combination of rain, plus starting to thin out my hi-fi, meant having a nice listen to the Calliopes, via iPod/Hafler DH101/DH200 set-up.
Suddenly 2 hours had passed, just listening to what Shuffleplay brought up. Hypnotic!
The pleasures of our 'hobby'- or is it more of a 'life choice'?

hornucopia
12-09-2019, 13:50
Laid up by bug, so stuck myself between the speakers.
Each time I do, am happy they are still here.
Currently running through Hafler pre/power - DH101/200, upgraded.

Audio Al
12-09-2019, 15:53
Chris have you tried trading them in with a reputable dealer for the smaller speakers you now require
Just a thought
Hope you get this sorted soon , they do indeed look intriguing :eyebrows:

hornucopia
29-11-2019, 17:19
Bump brexit (I wish we could!)

Thanks for the input Al. But every time I play them, I enjoy it, so no rush.

Audio Al
29-11-2019, 17:37
Blimey :eek: up for sale for 3 years now , Out of my price range :(

AJSki2fly
29-11-2019, 18:02

Maybe do Justin's first and then relax from the hyperkinetic onslaught with Chris's. :)

Hyperkinetic I would not describe Chris's speakers as that, far from that an extremely relaxing and musical listen having heard them personally, if only I had the cash and could get them past SWMBO

jandl100
29-11-2019, 18:14
Hyperkinetic I would not describe Chris's speakers as that, far from that an extremely relaxing and musical listen having heard them personally, if only I had the cash and could get them past SWMBO

No, Justin's were the hyperkinetic ones, especially with his 211 and Accuphase amps. More relaxing now with his Luxman, although still on the upfront side. Try reading my post again!

I agree about Chris's Calliopes - I still rate them as the best I have ever heard for small scale music, even better than any electrostat I have heard and my beloved MBLs, absolutely exceptional delicacy and transparency imo. I'm not so keen on them when they are 'blasting it out' - horses for courses, as ever.

Barry
29-11-2019, 22:47
To renew interest, and to sell these speakers, adding some LARGE and extra photos might help.

It would also allow you to conform to the new rules for sellers offering items for sale with a selling price above £250. Thumbnail images are no longer sufficient.

Good luck with the sale.

jandl100
30-11-2019, 06:45
Hmm, good point, Barry - even without the new rules!

Two small, grainy, crap photos for a £7k item isn't exactly tempting the punters, is it? ;)

If you have problems posting decent pics, Chris, email some to me and I'll put them up here this evening.

I'll at least blow up the originals as a starter ....

https://theartofsound.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18312&d=1477572244

https://theartofsound.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=18313&d=1415747962

AJSki2fly
30-11-2019, 09:02
To renew interest, and to sell these speakers, adding some LARGE and extra photos might help.

It would also allow you to conform to the new rules for sellers offering items for sale with a selling price above £250. Thumbnail images are no longer sufficient.

Good luck with the sale.

To be honest I think there are several issues apart from the pictures, IMHO that is. Firstly these speakers are not generally that well known, they are what I would class as a music/hifi Connoisseur speaker, so it important to get them out there so to speak where the right footprint will see them. Yes there are a few here on AoS who have pricey gear, but how many would or could out lay out £7k on a pair of speakers without some very serious thought I wonder, apart from Jerry maybe😂. Secondly and maybe more important is the physical size of them, I actually could live with them in my lounge, whether Sue would is another matter, I don’t think they are too big compared to some other speakers out there. So this will also limit the footfall that will be potential buyers.

So if it was me I would place an advert say in Hifi News for a couple of months, yes the risk is silly calls and dealers trying it on, but it should catch the serious buyer who knows what these are. Also as already pointed out better photos along with some stuff about provenance and specification would help.

Shame really they are just a step too far for me budget wise, they sound amazing and I heard a variety of Musial genres on them and thought they performed very well across the board. To be honest they are a superb price considering a new pair to the same spec are around £18k, someone needs to buy these and be happy forever.

hornucopia
09-03-2020, 21:45
Thanks, both Barry and Adrian. I really must get organised. Originaly it was just a 'maybe', but I should firm it up better.
thanks for the appreciative messages-they ARE special, but I do need to downsize soon.27461

hornucopia
09-04-2020, 15:00
Getting time now to reacquaint myself with the Ocellias. Tinnitus (temporarily) less. I always forget just how 'real' music is, coming from these.
They really do seem to vanish, leaving music in the room.
Am downsizing our possessions. The price on these will be £6750, although current curfew will deter visits, so no rush!
I'm enjoying them, so their carriage boxes can remain blocking the loft space for a while longer.27569

Lawrence001
25-05-2020, 22:16
I think these have been bumped and reduced on Hifi for sale so worth a bump here too..?

hornucopia
26-05-2020, 08:52
You're right Lawrence! I'd forgotten I'd put them on here. I have just cut them to £5950 so ......£5750 for Artists of Sound/Fishers/Wammers.
Over £14K new, always covered when not in use.
Just don't fit in our downsizing concept unfortunately.
Have loved owning them; like the enclosed review.Frederic loves them.
https://6moons.com/audioreviews/ocellia5/1.html
Thanks for the reminder MrL.

Review from our famous box swapper...Jerry.
"What struck me most when I heard these at Chris's place a few years ago was the astonishing performance at low levels.
Jaw dropping transparency, delicacy, presence and resolution without any need to turn the wick up, although they could certainly do loud as well.
I've not heard that sort of ability to that degree before or since."
That'll do, though Tom Montesquieu liked them too.2780027804
Sorry about photos!! Can't seem to get them right! Message me for better ones?

hornucopia
26-05-2020, 15:59
All my extra photos are coming on here sideways! Get in touch personally for upright scans!

hornucopia
19-07-2020, 20:43

hornucopia
19-07-2020, 20:46
Sorry guys. Delete the ad if you like. I'll try and post it all correctly soon. Price reduction and all!

Ducatiist
20-07-2020, 16:51
According to Hifi For Sale, these are now sold. I'd have loved to have heard/bought these but just too big for my house! :rolleyes:

flapland
20-07-2020, 17:36
Wonder if Bernie was tempted, if so I would be tempted to take the Solovox's back. Although large they did sound excellent in my room.

hornucopia
20-07-2020, 21:30
No Stuart, they are still available (and still on Hi-Fi For Sale!)
Was testing out the bass just today to remind myself!
go for it, Paul! We need uplifting in these dire times!

Get in touch for better pics if needed.

hornucopia
21-07-2020, 15:58
DEFINITELY open to offers on these -

and these...http://opera-consonance.com/products/images/Accessory/M15-20th/M15-20th.jpg

Berni217
25-07-2020, 06:21
Wonder if Bernie was tempted, if so I would be tempted to take the Solovox's back. Although large they did sound excellent in my room.

Hi Paul,
Hope you are well...
Could be tempted but cannot justify spending that much right now, despite the great price.
Still enjoying the Solovox very much!
Berni

flapland
25-07-2020, 07:23
Really pleased to hear the Solovox's are still proving sterling service. They are missed although I have now moved from the LV Avatar's that replaced them up to LV OBX RW's and really happy with the system at the moment.

hornucopia
21-08-2020, 16:11
Would love to hear the Monbrison through these! Though the Hafler 101 works well.
Have just relocated them; amazing how much it improved the 3D effect.

Lawrence001
14-06-2021, 17:36
Have you sold these yet Chris?

hifinutt
14-06-2021, 17:37
yes i think so

https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/128729-lavardin/page/4/#comments

Lawrence001
14-06-2021, 21:41
Thought so as I've seen them on Hifi for sale in a new ad, was it a trade in?

hornucopia
15-06-2021, 15:05
Now at Audio Emotion at £4999. A snip!