PDA

View Full Version : Hello, this is London calling!

Dave99
01-11-2016, 22:42
Hello, my name is Dave, I came across this fantastic forum whilst looking for info on some equipment that I have been fortunate to have been given by my father, namely a Dulci GA5 amplifier (which is a bit sick ). I also got a Jasonkit FMT2 ( or poss 3 ) tuner. I was a keen electronics hobbyist in the early 70's working with simple transistor projects. With my father I built my first stereo amp and refurbished a Phillips tape player we found in the Thames. I couldn't really get my head around I.C.s - perhaps as by that time I was starting to get my arms around girls.... A couple of years ago I built my first valve amp for guitar, a single ended 5 watt job, which beats the pants off of the Fender Switcher I had been using before. Valve equipment - the smell and the lovely glow is embedded in my memories as a small child ( in the early 60's ).
I found the thread by Firebottle on Dulci EL84 amp conversion - very inspiring. If I can't save the Dulci, the useable parts will go towards the construction of a Reverb unit ( similar to the Fender 6G15 )..............one day.
My audio set up consists;

Pye Mozart HFS-20 amp and pre-amp.
Marantz CD52 mkII cd player.
Denon TU-660L tuner.
And some speakers which are reasonable but not identified anywhere - something to be worked on at a later date.
Sadly I am currently without a turntable ( apart from a Garrard SP25 - don't laugh. )

The black cd player and tuner don't really match the beautiful copper front of the Pye, but you get that.

Music wise - rock, psychedelia, British folk, punk, classical - anything really, apart from wailing divas and radio 1 sort of stuff.

I hope that gives you all an idea of 'Me'.

Best regards - Dave.

jollyfix
01-11-2016, 22:54
Hi Dave, welcome to AOS. Similar music choices.:thumbsup: Enjoy the forum.

walpurgis
01-11-2016, 22:58
Hi Dave. Welcome to AOS.

Seems you've been messing about with older gear a long time, like quite a few of us here.

If you have future plans for your system, we'd like to hear about them

Have a look around the site, there's plenty going on.

Please join in any chat that appeals to you.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

struth
01-11-2016, 22:59
Welcome to the site Dave. hope you enjoy the forum.:)

Dave99
02-11-2016, 11:09
Thank you for your warm welcome. D.

Macca
02-11-2016, 13:26
Welcome from me Dave.

You are the only other person I have know to own any Dulci equipment. I have the Firebottle conversion and it is excellent although I really should move it on as I don't use it and it is a bit of a waste to have it sat around when someone else could be appreciating it.

Dave99
02-11-2016, 14:43
Hi Martin,
Please feel free to relocate this post as deemed fit.

As mentioned in welcome post, I was looking for data/schematic on a Dulci GA5 amp. Dated approx. 1961 (from can capacitor) with a cost price of £13-2-6 in jan 1965 at Surbiton Park Radio, which was well expensive. I had it working a few years ago but hooked it up a couple of weeks ago - nothing. Had a look inside and found Mains tx had snuffed it, also several other components, caps mainly look to have reached their end. It certainly doesn't seem worth (£££) a full rebuild, but it was a good looking thing. Never mind eh? Perhaps I'll start looking at the 6G15 reverb project again. If I can work out how to include photos I'll post them later.

Regards Dave.:)

Macca
02-11-2016, 19:01
I was given a Dulci pre and power for nothing from a bloke I bought some Lowthers off and did nothing with them for 20 odd years until I met Alan and thought he might be able to use the parts or the valves or something. Never imagined he would knock up a stunning little stereo SECA from the monoblock. I think the traffo was fine but most of the rest of it was replaced. Anyways, put up some pictures when you have a chance.

Barry
15-11-2016, 23:40
Welcome to AoS Dave.

You have some amazing vintage equipment there with the Pye Mozart combination. No-one's going to laugh at your Garrard SP25; I started with one (a MK. II I think). Disable the auto-lift and return mecanism (by removing the link under the platter), fit a decent vintage MM cartridge (such as a Shure M44E), and you'll have a decent vinyl player to be going on with.

A collegue at work built himself a Jason tuner from a kit many years ago. I can remember him telling me the delight he had when tuning the inter-stage transformers, he realised that the tuner actually worked and he could hear music.

Enjoy the Forum
Barry