PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Brisbane

Edwardcr
30-10-2016, 05:22
Hi Everyone

I discovered this site a couple of years ago, but felt inspired to join now as I'm researching a new small but high quality system for my office. I've loved audio for many years - so many years that I'm now retired! I'm not a great believer in changing systems unnecessarily - I find something good (to my ears) and stick with it.

My first real system - a Luxman L505X, Celestion Ditton 44s and a Thorens TD160. I used this for 15 years or so, modding the Thorens along the way.

My second system - Linx Stratos pre and monoblock power amps, IMF Professional Monitor Mark IV speakers, the modded Thorens and later a Denon DCD 3560 CD player. Used this for 30 years.

My current system, owned for 12 months - Quasimodo 40w hard wired solid state amp, Summoner 1093SRTL transmission line speakers from Adelaide Speakers, and a Gieseler DAC, all hand-built in Australia.

My music system is now entirely computer -based - or it will be when I've finally copied my multitude of CDs and DVDs to hard drive!

I'm now looking for an interesting small system for my office. I've decided on a high quality T-amp, probably a stand-alone DAC, and a pair of small single-driver speakers with no sub-woofer. I'll only be listening at low volume levels.

My current thinking is as follows:
Amp - KingRex T20, or a T20U if I go with a combined DAC, plus a Kingrex PSU.
DAC - if I go with a stand-alone DAC - Beresford Caiman SEG.
Speakers - either John Blue JB3, or Blumenstein Audio Marlin or Orca (the rear-mounted verson). I'll probably go with the Blumenstein Audio because of the workmanship - they are beautiful speakers!

My music. I play blues guitar, and collect guitars - so obviously blues. !960's-early 70's rock (I was a semi-pro musician in the UK back then!). Celtic, fingerstyle guitar, small group jazz, 1930's music, baroque choral and opera, Russian Orthodox music, chamber music, solo violin and piano, most classical vocal music.

I look forward to getting lots of info and advice from the site - and contributing where I can!

walpurgis
30-10-2016, 10:08
Hello Edward. Welcome to AOS.

The Kingrex amps are good. I had their pre-amp a while back and was very impressed.

Keep us informed about your choices. We like to hear what people are doing.

Have a look around the site and join in any chat that appeals to you.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

struth
30-10-2016, 10:16
Welcome aboard Edward. Some nice gear you have by sounds of it. A lot of folk rip their cds to hdd now, and its a laborius task, but once donevis very handy(use a rpi myself) remember and take a couple of hdd copies just in case. I once had 2 hdd,s go within a couple of days of each other. Used to have a td160 too..
enjoy the forum

petrat
30-10-2016, 11:10
Welcome Edward.

Suggest you start a thread in 'Blank Canvas' asking about your office system ideas ... it probably gets read more than the 'Welcome' section.
Rather than a T-amp and separate speakers, have you considered any of the small active speakers now available?
Love your taste in music, btw. Have fun ...

Spectral Morn
30-10-2016, 20:06
Welcome to AoS

Barry
15-11-2016, 23:08
Welcome to AoS Edward,

I admire your tastes in music, and am deeply envious of your ability to play blues guitar! The Blues was my first love in music, before exploring blues-rock, pop, folk and of course jazz.

Enjoy the Forum
Barry