PDA

View Full Version : Hi from midwest USA!

vs_jk
29-10-2016, 20:48
The Technics SL1210 section of this site is what attracted me to this forum. I've been reading here for some time. But it wasn't until recently that I finally joined so I can post. I'm looking forward to learning more from others on this forum.

I enjoy many types of music and I do my listening through 3 types of systems:

Main speaker + digital system

Magnepan MG10 speakers (upgraded crossover and fuse bypass)
Marting Logan Dynamo sub
Rotel RB 981 amp
Rotel RC 1070 preamp
Rotel RCD 950 Cd player

Headphone + analog system

Sennheiser HD580 headphones
Little Dot MKIII headphone amp (w/ Amperex tubes)
Technics SL1210Mk2 turntable (minor mods)
Denon DL103R & DL110
iFi iPhono

Headphone + computer system

Superlux HD681 Evo (modded)
Macbook Air or iPad

struth
29-10-2016, 20:52
Hi Vishal; welcome to the forum. Hope you enjoy the site :)

Macca
29-10-2016, 20:53
Rotel with Maggies? Interesting combination. Welcome to the forum Vishal.

vs_jk
29-10-2016, 21:10
Thanks for the welcome Grant and Martin.

I've had my speaker system for many years but unfortunately, I've only been able to try 3 different amps in it. When I was first purchasing the system (18 years ago), the hifi dealer sent home two different amps for me to try out. One was an Acurus and the other was the Rotel RB981. I remember the Acurus cost slightly more. However, in my opinion, the Rotel was better. The Acurus had a certain harshness to the sound which the Rotel did not. So, I kept the Rotel and returned the Acurus.

Also, a friend let me borrow his Bel Canto S300i to try in my system instead of the Rotel pre and amp. While it had a nice sweet sound, there was greatly reduced air and transparency. Also the soundstage was reduced in comparison to my Rotel setup.

So, I've not had any desire to upgrade the Rotel amp because I think it would require a lot of money to truly get an upgrade in sound. However, I do think the Rotel preamp could be improved upon. And I've been looking at various preamps as possible replacements. Although, I'm currently more interested in doing some modifications to my turntable so will likely hold off on any upgrades to the speaker system.

walpurgis
29-10-2016, 21:18
Hello Vishal. Welcome to AOS.

If you have plans fo your system, we'd like to hear about them.

Have a look around the site. I'm sure you'll find plenty to interest you.

Feel free to join in any chat that appeals to you.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

petrat
30-10-2016, 11:03
Hi Vishal.

I had the Rotel 981 back in the 90s, and thought it was a lot of amp for the money :thumbsup:

Whereabouts are you? ... the 'midwest' is pretty huge :D

vs_jk
30-10-2016, 21:07
I'm in Nebraska, USA. Peter, which preamp did you use with your 981 and what did you upgrade to? What types of improvements did you hear with the upgrade?

Thanks Geoff, I intend to do most of the work around my turntable right now. I really want to get one of the Ian Mac bearings for it. And will also be doing the tonearm rewire. So far, I've put the Reso-stop platter on it as well as put heat shrink on the tonearm. Both of these resulted in improvements! And so, I'm looking forward to further improving the turntable.

On my main speaker system, I had done upgrades to the listening room by installing some room treatments. Next, I'll likely upgrade the preamp or source. But this will come after upgrades to the turntable.

Barry
15-11-2016, 23:13
Welcome to AoS Vishal,

It's nice to be able to have three systems. :) What sort of music do you play on them?

Enjoy the Forum
Barry

vs_jk
15-11-2016, 23:47
Thank you, Barry!

I like to listen to many types of music. The main categories are shoegaze, metal, rock, classic rock, jazz, and classical. The two types of music I don't particularly care for are country and hip hop.

Before I got the subwoofer for my Maggie system many years ago, I didn't play much of harder stuff on that system. But now it rocks rather well even with metal. I tend to listen to just about all of the types of music I like on all three systems. The different systems are more in relation to time of day for me. The laptop and headphones is the daytime setup at the office. While the headphone and turntable setup is for when the family is asleep and I want to listen to music at a normal volume without disturbing anyone. And the main system plays double duty for music and movies.

The Maggie system was my favorite until I got the iFi iphono and DL103r for the turntable system. Now the turntable system is superiour. And soon it will have the Ian Mac bearing upgrade as well as a Soundsmith retipped DL103r!