PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Kevin

kevin
28-10-2016, 22:45
I've been a long time lurker of the sales corner here on AOS so this post is long overdue. I listen to a large range of music from rock and pop, to jazz and classical. I can happily play a Bach cd, followed by Miles Davis and then onto Fatboy Slim in the same listening session.

I have built up my hifi system over 15+ years by purchasing almost exclusively s/hand equipment, upgrading when i see a good deal or fancy trying a new piece of kit. I have a handfull of sacd's that I've yet to hear in their full sacd splendor. I did purchase a cheap sony sacd player that was a huge disappointment (my sacd's sounded like they were coming from a Binatone clock radio). I will get round to purchasing a decent sacd player when a good deal presents itself.

My current equipment comprises a unison research unico hybrid amplifier, an arcam cd73 cd player (this gem of a giant killer has bested a unison research CD player and an audiolab 8200cdq) and finally a pair of original rogers studio 5 standmount speakers.

I enjoy live music and will be seeing an up and coming band the Asylums, a pop punk/indie/grunger band (take your pick) 2moro at a small venue in Aldershot. In early November i will be up at the royal festival hall for an American music eve that includes some Gershwin.

I consider myself part of the rapidly approaching older generation at 57, so my friend Sarita and I will probably appear geriatric to the younger audience at 2moro's gig :rolleyes:

Kevin

walpurgis
28-10-2016, 23:13
Hello Kevin. Glad you've joined us. Welcome to AOS.

That's a decent system you have and I agree with you about the Arcam CD players, they tend to sound surprisingly good.

By the way. You're just a lad compared to some of us here. Me included! :)

Tell us what plans you may have for your system if any and have a good look around the site. You'll find plenty to interest you. please join in any chat that appeals to you.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

petrat
29-10-2016, 11:26
I listen to a large range of music from rock and pop, to jazz and classical. I can happily play a Bach cd, followed by Miles Davis and then onto Fatboy Slim in the same listening session.

Ha, a man after my own heart! After enduring one of my listening sessions, my brother described my taste in music as 'catholic, bordering on indiscriminating' :lol:

Welcome to the forum. Nice speakers you have there ...

kevin
30-10-2016, 22:28
thanks for the warm welcome Geoff and Peter.

I answer to your question Geoff, i think i am always on the lookout for possible upgrades, thou i have found more recently i am struggling to make worthwhile improvements to my system - a plateau so to speak. I think I probably need to spend quite a bit more to improve on what i have sound wise.

I have a friend who used to belong to a camera club, but eventually left because she grew disillusioned with people placing too much emphasis on the quality of their camera equipment rather than taking photographs. Ive recognized some of that in myself, so have been making a point recently of buying up loads of music on cd from Amazon at fantastic prices (mainly s/hand cds, which rarely seem to have playback issues).

Kevin

walpurgis
30-10-2016, 22:45
I agree that the end product, i.e., the music, is what it should really be all about. But the system can be a source of satisfying fun in and of itself :).

I do see one possible and sensible upgrade in your system. A move from the Arcam CD73 to the CD92. It's a fine unit and capable of a very high standard of sound. I know the CD92 and nearly bought one some years ago (I opted for a rather more expensive Meridian, but it was a close thing).

Macca
30-10-2016, 23:03
Hi Kevin and welcome.

I'm also into buying used CDs on Amazon. The older issues tend to be better, generally speaking. Less compressed.

Anyways, enjoy the forum.

Spectral Morn
30-10-2016, 23:28
Welcome to AoS :cool:

The Black Adder
31-10-2016, 10:23
Welcome to AOS, Kevin.

I'm sure you will find yourself at home here... :) Enjoy! :)

Barry
15-11-2016, 23:21
Welcome to AoS Kevin,

Yes, it's all to easy to forget that the equipment is only a means to an end - that, of course, being the reproduction of music. I too buy a lot of stuff from Amazon, though it is usually new, unless the title is out of print. Like you, I have never had any replay problems with used CDs, unlike some used vinyl, also bought from Amazon.

Admire your wide ranging tastes in music,

Enjoy the Forum
Barry