PDA

View Full Version : Tonearm suggestions please

hermit
27-10-2016, 19:28
I'd be very grateful for any suggestions for an arm to match a Sony TTS-8000 and Sony plinth that I'm picking up on Sunday.

The deck is supplied with an SME armboard and the present owner used an SME 310. In his ad he stated:

At the time in Japan it was decided that optimum arm length/mass was 10" arms. Most of the big turntables at the time were built for arms of that length.
The slot is 30mm allowing a range of arms to be used (eg Fidelity Research FR*64fx). Approximately 212mm minimum spindle to pivot centre, and maximum 265mm. This turntable will just take a 9" SME arm, but will probably run out of room for full adjustment. Similarly, a 12" arm will probably just fit with the armboard rotated, but adjustment will be lost.

Bearing that in mind I am inclined towards a 10" arm and wondered what folks would suggest?

I would prefer a detachable headshell. The arm needs to be able to cope with cartridges that are around 20cu compliance. Budget is up to £1200 new or used. I'm open to getting an armboard made up but it would be a bonus if the arm could use the SME armboard. Thanks.

daytona600
27-10-2016, 19:44
SME perfect match
just supplied one with a ortofon cadenza black - very nice sounding deck indeed
http://www.hifinews.co.uk/news/article/sony-tts-8000--vintage/20557

CornishPasty
28-10-2016, 22:57
The SME M2-10 is also a nice arm and reasonably affordable. I've heard this arm with a 2M Black on several occasions and it's a lovely combination.