PDA

View Full Version : elna silmic 2 caps...any thoughts?

09mike69
25-10-2016, 20:57
just ordered some to see if it would make any difference to a cheapo phono pre amp, namely a sp 24a maplins unit. anyone used the elna caps..any thoughts/advice.
cheers,
Mike.

struth
25-10-2016, 21:22
Sometimes they can make a difference; kinda depends on where it is in circuit and what was in before etc. Keep us posted Mike

09mike69
25-10-2016, 21:39
Sometimes they can make a difference; kinda depends on where it is in circuit and what was in before etc. Keep us posted Mike

just replacing like for like regarding tolerences, the original caps are "vlsom" ?. at 8 quid for elna caps thought i may as well try it... heard good things about them so what the hey... will post my findings, even if its a toasted pre.
cheers,
Mike.

Gazjam
25-10-2016, 22:26
Modded a fair few Beresford Dacs in my time, and used the Elna's lot of the time in the mods...
Always a noticable improvement, have a high opinion of these caps.

My takeaway would be they are great caps.

danilo
25-10-2016, 23:32
just ordered some to see if it would make any difference to a cheapo phono pre amp, namely a sp 24a maplins unit. anyone used the elna caps..any thoughts/advice.
cheers,
Mike.

I used Silmics in my Simple Phono build.
Do they actually sound better? Dunno.
Unlikely IMO as they are in power filtering usages.
Silmics 'measure' V well though ;)
They were 1$ more (total price) over Nichions.
Peanuts cost differences basically.. not much of a risky choice.

User211
26-10-2016, 06:09
They do sound good. I put 16 Silmics in a Beard BB100 and they sounded great, replacing some Rubycons, one of which had "inflated". Actually, in between the Rubycons and Silmics an electrical engineer had put some non-descript caps in which were dreadful. The Rubycons were also very good BTW.

I also have some huge ELNA caps that are 40 years old in some Accuphase monos. They are absolutely fine, and the amps sound great. In a solid state kind of a way...

Yomanze
26-10-2016, 10:55
Specifically, Silmics are good for analogue power supplies. Different caps are suited to different areas, I would just put these everywhere. For example, in a DAC I might be thinking:

Main power supply caps = Panasonic FC
Digital decoupling caps = OS-CON
Analogue decoupling caps = Elna Silmic

09mike69
26-10-2016, 16:07
will be interesting to see if they do make a difference, i'll have a good listen before i swap out the caps. hopefully they'll be here for weekend.
cheers,
Mike.