PDA

View Full Version : Salutations from W. MI

VOM
24-10-2016, 19:48
Hello everyone and greetings from West Michigan where our fall colors are coming in nicely along with the premonition of winter right around the corner.

My story:

Earlier this year I happened to be in Lake Orion MI for work and stayed over the weekend for a concert. I am a huge craft beer fan so wandered into town to 51 North Brewing Company (amazing mead as well as beer). After a couple pints I wandered across the street to Broadway Records and fell in love. I spent the next couple hours shopping for records and chatting with the owner about his amazing collection. I accumulated a stack of about 30 records of which the owner took a look at and said "Let's call it 16 bucks"; I threw him a 20 and gleefully left his shop.

Back at my hotel I beamed at my eclectic compilation ranging from Berlin (new in plastic still), John Denver, Dan Fogelberg, REO Speedwagon, Bach & Mozart, Amadeus 4 disc lp (really love this a lot).

I quickly became sad though because I didn't actually own a turntable!

I resolved to correct that but I wanted to avoid the Amazon turntable deal of the day and go with a player with more character and so started digging through Craigslist (which I despise using).

It took me a few months of filtering through the usual Craigslist scams and bait and switches but fell in love with a vintage Voice of Music 563 with the "optional" stereo speaker addition for $50. . . . . . and it worked!

I have since added to my collection with The Kills, Cate le' bon, Lana Del Rey. My musical tastes really range far and wide though with roots in industrial; Ministry is still one of my all time favorite bands.

Why the hi-fi system?

I admit I love everything about my new turntable & records. I love the look of my player, I love the tactile feel of the records in my hand, I love having to "attend" to the player adjusting the base and treble a little for each lp and flipping the disc. I also love the softer, "less clean", sound of the music including the little pops when the needle strikes a bit of dust I missed or the squeak of a slightly warped record shifting.

For me it is not just the music, it's the experience.

brian2957
24-10-2016, 19:56
Welcome Bret . Like you I just got back into vinyl a few months ago when a friend gave me an old Goldring Lenco GL75 . I spent a little money buying some new parts and with the help of some of the guys on this forum it's now singing along . I must admit to building up a nice little collection and as it's pay day soon I will be in Glasgow on Friday looking to add to my collection .

Jimbo
24-10-2016, 20:19
Welcome to AOS Bret and thank you for sharing your vinyl experience. I identify with much of what you have said regarding the pleasure of owning and using vinyl. It is a truly magical medium for playing music and seems to capture the soul of a performer as well as a realistic representation of instruments.

Not sure I know the equipment you have chosen but certainly know some of the artists you have written of.

Hope you enjoy the forum.

Firebottle
25-10-2016, 06:24
Hi Bret, a big welcome from me. Is this the unit:

http://www.mikesmanuals.com/Upload/voice_of_music_563_record_phonograph_service_manua l.jpg

You are starting in the right place, it has glowing tubes in it, lots on here like tubes :)

walpurgis
25-10-2016, 08:54
Hello Bret. Welcome to AOS.

I hope you enjoy your new record playing experience.

If you use any other audio equipment we'd like to hear about it.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

VOM
25-10-2016, 13:20
Firebottle, that's the one! She is a beauty! The only difference is I have the additional matching stereo speaker.

Here is my unit:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4n436j3yevn9ach/VOM563.jpg?dl=0

Image insert *FAIL*, dropbox link was the best I could do.

Geoff,

I am afraid I am not much of an audiophile! I did start with a $10 turntable from a local electronic recycling store. I'm not even sure what it is!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/25idgcaicz9uler/MysteryMachine.jpg?dl=0

I suppose I do have a kind of a cool Neo Car Jukebox. I purchased it new from Best Buy for my 91 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4 of which I still drive and have been for 22 years now.

http://www.mp3shopping.com/smallimages_22/neocarjukebox_lg.jpg

Regards!

walpurgis
25-10-2016, 14:49
I am afraid I am not much of an audiophile!

There's hope yet. Maybe we can convert you Bret :). There's nothing like some good sounds.

Barry
28-10-2016, 21:26
Welcome to AoS Bret,

No need to be an "audiophile" here - simply a music lover will do. :)

Enjoy the Forum
Barry