PDA

View Full Version : Christmas a thing of the past?

Rare Bird
06-12-2009, 03:50
Anyone noticed this year that there aint been any fuss about Christmas! Hardly any Crimbo adverts on the TV!!..This is the first year that i havent put the Christmas tree up...

Themis
06-12-2009, 08:24
2009 was such an exceptional year, we secretly wish it never ends...:eyebrows:

alb
06-12-2009, 08:34
Well it's business as usual in this house. Decorations went up yesterday, audio rack has to be moved to the right, to accommodate bloody artificial tree ........waste of about four hours of my life, IMO. But then i always was a miserable b*stard where Christmas is concerned.

Can't say i've noticed any fewer ads on the telly, it seems to be every bit as pathetic as normal. With DFS starting their January sale, to give folks more chance to order their new sofas. Well, i almost laughed..... but managed to stop myself in plenty of time.:rolleyes:

REM
06-12-2009, 09:26
Haven't done Xmas in this house for donkeys years, being of a generally pagan bent we do like to slaughter the odd virgin or two though, come the solstice...:eek:

Jason P
06-12-2009, 11:23
I think a lot of people recognise that the Christmas we're being sold is at odds with how we really want to be living our lives - and maybe this year's woes have added to that. For me it's like a treadmill that kicks in to life around November and some get on it happily, whilst others stay off it - and some stand around saying 'bah humbug' to anyone who'll listen.

As a non-Christian I can't buy in to the whole religious message, but as a reluctant consumer I can't do the 'presents, food and booze' bonhomie that is the other mainstream alternative. I've always enjoyed marking the solstice as the turning point from the descent in to the darkness of winter; I feel it has a lot to say about community and our place in it. I try to take part in events that afffirm community spirit on a local level, though in our ever-fragmented society that's hard to do...

So I don't think it's a thing of the past, and rest assured the assault of advertising exhorting us to buy, buy, buy is still there, but I think we as a society need to question what we really want it to be about, and maybe reclaim it from the advertisers, shops and religious zealots!

Jason

The Vinyl Adventure
06-12-2009, 13:47
I think this every year, I even get quietly pleased thinking the world is coming to it's sences.... Then the last week before Xmas happens, everyone gets that odd stressed, glazed, iritated 100 yard, (I call it the), Christmas stare.... And you realise just like everyone else you buy into the same load of shit as everyone else every year! Christmas at it's absolute worst is capitalism at it's worst! At very best, a day off, drunk, with people you should probably see more of!
It's nice giving people stuff, but I'd prefer my gifts be something people apreciate because I have thought about them, not because I have been forced to think about them!

DSJR
06-12-2009, 14:02
I still have my Christian roots buried in there somewhere, so the ritual of Christmas doesn't pee me off as it does the wife, who currently has a more pagan view of the paraphernalia/decorations etc. surrounding this time of year. In the school assembly I sat in on as part of my Thursday session at primary school. We sang Away in a Manger (I knew the words without prompting and still had tears at the end) and "On a Starry Night" - a hit for the Joy Strings back in the sixties (yes, I inherited the single from Dad and even saw them live when they toured UK chapels).

Yesterday, I looked round a Victorian Market at the local parish church not far away. I still love the peace and tranquility of church buildings and feel that whatever your belief/knowledge system, to be able to sit quietly in such buildings and meditate for a little while and communicate with one's higher self, guardian angels or whatever, can do some good. I felt well chilled as I continued on with the shopping...........

webby
06-12-2009, 14:33
Christmas for me is an annual tradition, nothing more, nothing less. Not at all religious. It's more like all my friends and family's birthdays all at once.

Yes it's far too commercial and has been for a number of years. I hate that part. Christmas cards go on sale round here in August, no word of a lie. I went into a card shop in September and a quarter of the shop was given over to xmas cards. I actually asked if they were kidding and they told me they go out on Aug 17th!

The point Hamish makes about feeling forced to give folks stuff is a good one, and for me, it applies all year round; Easter, Father's Day, Mother's Day, Valentine's Day, and the rest. You can't buy a birthday card at those times cos the aisles are taken over by all those. That pees me off.

Also, the xmas we are sold on tv ads and in movies is fake. It's so idealistic, so traditional, and xmas just isn't like that for most of us. I think that's why, ultimately, we all feel let down, like it's an anti climax. But then, what do we really want from xmas? I think if it gets people to unite, or reunite and drop feuds or whatever, then it's a good time. It's just a shame we need that to kick us into making that move.

Peace to you all. And if you can't find peace, turn it up to 11!

Jason P
06-12-2009, 14:49
I agree about giving gifts. Last year for the first time me & My S.O said to everyone in our family we weren't doing it... We were both heartily fed up with the merry-go-round of thinking what to buy people who have everything (well everything they need, anyways) and similarly getting lots of stuff you don't want, need or really wouldn't spend your own money on. It's compounded by the fact that you know full well everyone will be doing the same for everyone else - so your £10 pressie becomes £100 or £200 by the time you've done it for all the people you know... and there are many people we know who can't afford that. So we made a stand, and whilst some were put out, others were mightily relieved... to the extent that many have said to us 'You are doing the same thing this year, aren't you?'

The exception is for the kids - those that are close to us will still get pressies, but not excessive ones. We save the bigger pressies for their birthdays.

Interestingly enough many economic pundits (like Martin Lewis on moneysaver.com) have come out this year with similar ideas, pointing out that the 'present trap' makes people poorer at the expense of the usual suspects making a bomb (retailers etc) so we're not alone!

The nice thing is we can use the money saved to throw a nice gathering, get some nice food in and just have a good get together soem other time in the year. It also has the added bonus of making everyone far less stressed!

Jason

hifinutt
06-12-2009, 14:50
"As a non-Christian I can't buy in to the whole religious message, but as a reluctant consumer I can't do the 'presents, food and booze' bonhomie that is the other mainstream alternative. I've always enjoyed marking the solstice as the turning point from the descent in to the darkness of winter; I feel it has a lot to say about community and our place in it. I try to take part in events that afffirm community spirit on a local level, though in our ever-fragmented society that's hard to"

yes, that was my point about st nicholas day, its lovely to see how my dutch friends separate the two, they have something very special

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=4728

Rare Bird
07-12-2009, 11:49
Can't say i've noticed any fewer ads on the telly, it seems to be every bit as pathetic as normal.

Must have been BBC i was tuned into :lolsign:

Haselsh1
07-12-2009, 14:47
What's left of my family have more or less decided to tune down Christmas this year. None of us are particularly religious but my partner Janet and I have decided to do Midnight Mass in our towns Parish Church. Funnily enough, last Friday night there was a concert at the same Parish Church of ancient English music that was absolutely amazing, so I guess, it's still Christmas and still a bit Christmassy.

hifinutt
07-12-2009, 21:08
oh my goodness, whatever next!!! glad you enjoyed it!!

Marco
08-12-2009, 08:52
Ah, you guys who don't have a faith will never 'get' the true magic of Christmas... The clue is in the word 'Christ' - that's what it's really all about, not all the commercial bollocks attached to it! ;)

Apart from the commercial shit on TV, and the nonsense in shops, I love everything about Christmas - it's my favourite and most magical time of year.

Marco (A practising Catholic who will be attending mass, as usual, at his local cathedral on Christmas day and loving every minute of it) :)

P.S Nice one, Shaun. I love that type of music, too (Gregorian Chants) - and also a good Welsh male voice choir in full flow!

The Vinyl Adventure
08-12-2009, 10:05
Well it's alright for you Christians you get the good bit the rest of us with other belifes or indeed no belifes just get dragged along for the ride and end up celebrating something for perpouses of tradition!
I can def apreciate why you like it though marco, to have such a huge anual festival that celebrates your religion must be enjoyable, I'm kind of envious in a way! I guess that's a disadvantage of createing ones own belife system... I don't really have anyone to celebrate it with!

Themis
08-12-2009, 10:14
Christmas is about making other people happy : it's the only true Christian (in the spirit) celebration, imho.

The Vinyl Adventure
08-12-2009, 10:23
Thta the problem though, if it was just about making people happy, I'd be really into it! For me, the capitalism has dirtied it to a point I find it very hard not to be a grump about it! If it was just 2 weeks of happiness, a few days off work, some time spent with people you love and the odd present, I'd be all for it! Unfortunatly by the time the day comes round, I'm so tired of Xmas songs and it being shoved down my face I find it hard to get into the spirit! We font even get the good tv anymore, I used to love that about Xmas - loads of film premiers on the tv! Now we just get the same old shit with added tinsel!

Haselsh1
08-12-2009, 10:43
This Christmas for me is going to be about good food and good wine and being really nice to my other half as for the last fourteen months, she's been having cancer treatment and has just been given a six month all clear. It's also going to be about having four days off work with Janet and spending some really nice time together as we very rarely get the chance to do so. Also of course, it's going to be fun as I've bought her what I think is a very special present this year, well, special to her at least.

That's the plan anyway but as with all plans...

Marco
08-12-2009, 10:52
Well it's alright for you Christians you get the good bit the rest of us with other belifes or indeed no belifes just get dragged along for the ride and end up celebrating something for perpouses of tradition!
I can def apreciate why you like it though marco, to have such a huge anual festival that celebrates your religion must be enjoyable, I'm kind of envious in a way! I guess that's a disadvantage of createing ones own belife system... I don't really have anyone to celebrate it with!

LOL, Hamish!

You're right. If I didn't have my faith the magic of Christmas would be gone and it would be just like any other celebratory day, such as a birthday or anniversary. I think you can only truly enjoy what Christmas is REALLY about if you have a faith - or if you have young kids and do the whole 'Santa Claus' thing. The latter brings a similar magic to Christmas, as it has from being involved in it from a religious aspect, which picks up on what Dimitri said:

Christmas is about making other people happy

Indeed. Think about how you felt as a child on Christmas Eve when 'Santa' was coming to bring all your favourite toys... *That* is a truly unrepeatable magical feeling, and a joy that's almost unsurpassed in parents when giving it to their children :)

We donate money and give loads of things away to our church every year so that those less privileged than ourselves can enjoy a little of that magic, too.

Marco.

Marco
08-12-2009, 10:58
This Christmas for me is going to be about good food and good wine and being really nice to my other half as for the last fourteen months, she's been having cancer treatment and has just been given a six month all clear.

Hi Shaun,

That's the best Christmas present of all. I'm very pleased for your good lady and you. I wish her a continued and permanent recovery from her illness.

Marco.

Spectral Morn
08-12-2009, 11:16
Hi Shaun,

That's the best Christmas present of all. I'm very pleased for your good lady and you. I wish her a continued and permanent recovery from her illness.

Marco.

Agreed....good news indeed Shaun.

Regards D S D L

Covenant
08-12-2009, 11:36
I always feel a little sad at christmas that my kids are grown up. The years when they were small were brilliant, the screams of "he's been, he's been" at six o'clock on christmas day followed by the scamper of feet, bin bags full of wrapping paper and desperate searches for batteries-magic.

The funny thing is my children (18 and 15) insist on the routine now as if they were still six.

hifinutt
08-12-2009, 19:56
this year i have to work christmas day but i really enjoy being with the wider family at church on that day , young and old, lonely, alcoholics, ex alcoholics, ex cons,even........teenagers !!! you name we`ve got them . great stuff, reminds me not to be so damm materialistic thinking about the next hi fi aquisition.