PDA

View Full Version : What phono stage with a Lyra Delos?

madscientist
17-10-2016, 08:58
Hi

I am interested to see what phono stage people use with their Lyra Delos and the resistance/capacitance settings they use?

Cheers

Paul

RothwellAudio
17-10-2016, 12:23
The capacitance should be a non-issue. Even with a 100nF load the resonant frequency will be well over 100kHz. Most phonostages will have capacitance much lower than that, so there shouldn't be a problem.
The resistive load is a matter of some debate. Personally I believe the importance of the resistive load on MC cartridges has been rather exaggerated, but it does no harm to experiment. Lyra's own recommendation is "97.6 ohms - 806 ohms", which seems a bit odd. It's a huge range but the ends of the range are specified to a tenth of an ohm. Eh?
I usually recommend that you start will a load about ten times the source impedance (63 ohms in this case), and experiment above and below that figure if you have the option, but don't worry about fine-tuning anything to 1/10th of an ohm :scratch:

Arkless Electronics
17-10-2016, 14:58
+1 Good advice there. I also agree about the importance of the resistive load on MC cartridges being rather exaggerated... although it does make a difference which can be worthwhile in some cases.

There again in my experience this is all pervading in hi fi... the less important something is the more hand wringing and soul searching involved!
Any issue which has so little effect that it is debatable as to whether it has ANY effect will usually generate a thread running to hundreds of posts!
Meanwhile much more important things are usually completely ignored.... cest la vie..