PDA

View Full Version : New member

PaulTitan
16-10-2016, 21:05
Hi everybody, my name is Paul Taylor I just found this fantastic site through a friend who pointed me to its direction..My system is a what I'd class low to mid level hifi and I'm very pleased with the sound.
I know my system will be a mixed bag of opinions as it involves the word Bose in it, I know Bose get slammed by audiophile people and with good reason too...I do not like the cubed Acoustimas stuff it's rubbish! I would never buy any of the new stuff!
I am into the older products when Bose actually cared about producing good sound, which I firmly believe the Bose of yesterday had a quality to it, a very love or hate sound..I personally love the sound and I have an immaculate pair of 601 series 3s...They are partnered with the following system.

Arcam AVR400 Amp
Cd63
Lenco l-90 Turntable
Arcam Blink dac streamer...I listen primarily to streamed music, 80s 90s..Rock, pop, classical infact I love almost all music.

Thank you

walpurgis
16-10-2016, 21:17
Hello Paul. Welcome to AOS.

Yeah, Bose do get knocked here and there, but don't worry about that. If you enjoy what you're using, that's all that matters.

Tell us if you have any further plans for your system. We like to hear what people have in mind.

Feel free to join in any chat that appeals to you.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

PaulTitan
16-10-2016, 21:33
Thankyou for that Geoff, I am trying to get to grips with this site as I'm not really the most technical guy in the world when it comes to the internet etc there is something I'd like to discuss if you could point me in the right direction please? I'm looking at refurbishing my speakers, Nothing to do with the outside it's just the inside I'd like to freshen up! New dampening material, Any capacitors or replacements of the crossover that would freshen them up/improve them as I'm sure they have taken a lot over the last 20 odd years and could do with re doing, just bringing them up with the rest of my relatively new and modern system.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thankyou for the warm welcome.

walpurgis
16-10-2016, 21:39
Try starting a thread in the Blank Canvas section or, as the speakers are virtually vintage items, in the Past Masters area.

We have quite a few members who are pretty knowledgeable about speaker upgrades. It's usually straightforward enough stuff that the average handy person can tackle.

struth
16-10-2016, 21:40
Welcome Paul. Hope you enjoy the forum ... Re speaker refurbs, if they are old then you can put the thread in Past masters, or The drawing board I guess.

PaulTitan
16-10-2016, 21:44
Fantastic I will do when I get to grips with the site..Thankyou mate much appreciated.

walpurgis
16-10-2016, 21:51
Fantastic I will do when I get to grips with the site..Thankyou mate much appreciated.

Yeah, have a poke around the site. There's plenty to look at. If you see anything interesting have a chat with members. Nobody bites.

SLS
16-10-2016, 21:53
Those 601's are I understand superb speakers and the CD63 was at the cutting edge.

BOSE has been a huge success story, with sales over $3billion per annum so clearly lots of satisfied customers. In 2012 my family did 3,000 miles in the USA in a huge vehicle with an incredible BOSE sound system. My son and I both had QuietComfort headphones that were brilliant. He actually wore his pair out ...

Ian7633
16-10-2016, 22:16
I know it's not quite the same thing but a few years ago when I was a rock god, well I thought so lol, we used to play a venue in Brighton that had a full Bose house PA system and it was incredible, the sound quality was first rate and built to a very high standard. When we were miked and DI'd to the desk the results were good enough to record without having to filter out all the ambient noises. Sadly no longer there but I'll always remember that Bose PA.

TazSob
16-10-2016, 22:59
Hi Paul good to see you joined.
As you can see there is no Bose hate here and as said above it's all about the way it sounds to us, the end user, that matters.
I heard Paul's system yesterday and it was the first time I heard 601s or any Bose house system (we have a Bose stereo in the car) played with a variety of music and at a loud volume. I wasn't disappointed at all and the stuff I've read from Bose critics went out the window... The speakers you have Paul are absolutely mint and it wasn't until you reminded me how old they were that I realised these were seriously holding their own weight and then some... Looking forward to the next listening session
Have a look in the gallery section you're going to find some lovely set ups there too.

Taz

jandl100
17-10-2016, 07:02
Welcome, Paul.

Bose 601 / 3 - Coo, unusual. I'd love to see some pics of your system in the Gallery section. :)

PaulTitan
17-10-2016, 11:51
I know it's not quite the same thing but a few years ago when I was a rock god, well I thought so lol, we used to play a venue in Brighton that had a full Bose house PA system and it was incredible, the sound quality was first rate and built to a very high standard. When we were miked and DI'd to the desk the results were good enough to record without having to filter out all the ambient noises. Sadly no longer there but I'll always remember that Bose PA.
The 802s in the pro range was brilliant speakers I ran some in my home for a bit and I loved them. The headphones are great as well. Very nice sound

PaulTitan
17-10-2016, 11:54
Welcome, Paul.

Bose 601 / 3 - Coo, unusual. I'd love to see some pics of your system in the Gallery section. :)
I will have to work out how I do that and I will defo be posting some pics of my set up. Thankyou you got some nice equipment yourself.