PDA

View Full Version : Source advice please

stabdis7
12-10-2016, 17:14
Im new in hifi im building my first system. In the moment I have roksan caspian m2 amp and AudioVector si1 Avantgarde arrete speakers. Im looking for a best quality sound. I have 1800 budget.im looking for second hand source.
Thanks

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

walpurgis
12-10-2016, 17:30
Analogue or digital?

In other words, do you want to play records or CDs or do you want to stream music.

jollyfix
12-10-2016, 17:45
CD player Geoff, info from other post.

Macca
12-10-2016, 17:57
£1800 for a second hand CD player? The world is your oyster.

I'll start the ball rolling with the Technics SLP1200 broadcast variant as that's my favourite. Don't pay more than £400 and buy a few as when they fail (and they will) that's it.

Or the Sony 777ES which I could also live with happily. But if you want a CD player that sounds more like a turntable forget them.

walpurgis
12-10-2016, 18:01
What is the budget? And is there a preference for second hand or new items.

Is it to be an 'all in one' player or would a CD transport and separate DAC be considered?

Macca
12-10-2016, 18:06
Blimey Geoff it's all in the op. 1800 quid, second hand.

walpurgis
12-10-2016, 18:25
Ah. Perhaps I'm not absorbing things well at the moment. Had a headache all day.

struth
12-10-2016, 19:14
dont see cd player mentioned, but suppose it must be. just says source

JohnJo
12-10-2016, 19:37
£1800 for a second hand CD player? The world is your oyster.

if you want a CD player that sounds more like a turntable forget them.

If you DO want a CD player that sounds like a turntable the original Naim CDS is a peach, it even has a lid to lift! Any of the top CD players with the Philips TDA 1541 DAC are excellent music makers, Marantz, SONY etc. They are difficult to keep on the road though if they need work, bit like an old Jag or Rolls :)

jollyfix
12-10-2016, 20:07
dont see cd player mentioned, but suppose it must be. just says source
Grant ,Deividas started another thread wanting a Roksan CD player, so i assumed the source was a CD player

Pieoftheday
12-10-2016, 20:31
If you DO want a CD player that sounds like a turntable the original Naim CDS is a peach, it even has a lid to lift! Any of the top CD players with the Philips TDA 1541 DAC are excellent music makers, Marantz, SONY etc. They are difficult to keep on the road though if they need work, bit like an old Jag or Rolls :)

I had a marantz cd6005 for a bit, maybe seen as budget kit but had a great open natural sound, another regrettable sale

Macca
12-10-2016, 20:39
A Roksan player might be a good bet. Heard a good system at a dealers with Roksan CD and amp into some Acoustic Energy floorstanders. Great sound, clinical but with a touch of sweetness. Amp was the original Caspian, no idea what the model of the player was. Would be a specified design from an OEM I'd think. I'd be surprised if Roksan made them in house.

walpurgis
12-10-2016, 20:44
I have a Meridian 507 that I bought new about twelve years ago at some expense and a used Pioneer PD-S505 Precision that cost me about £80. Funny thing is, I like them equally and would not say one is more musical than the other. Used as transports into a very good DAC they are superb.

rdpx
12-10-2016, 23:38
There's an immaculate PURE SOUND A8000 up on eBay as buy it now @ £599 at the moment.

We've got one, and we rather like it. It has valves, and I would hope that it would run rings around a Roksan.

R

jandl100
13-10-2016, 07:58
Forget physical media and players.
Connect your PC to your music system and stream from the internet from one of the several music providers - Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz etc.

A staggeringly large music catalogue available in excellent sound quality all available with a few mouse clicks or iPad swipes.
From £10-£20 a month.

Pieoftheday
16-10-2016, 08:50
Forget physical media and players.
Connect your PC to your music system and stream from the internet from one of the several music providers - Spotify, Tidal, Qobuz etc.

A staggeringly large music catalogue available in excellent sound quality all available with a few mouse clicks or iPad swipes.
From £10-£20 a month.

20 sovs a month for fancy radio? Bugger that:eek:

jandl100
16-10-2016, 08:56
20 sovs a month for fancy radio? Bugger that:eek:

Ha!

I think you miss the point, sir.
An internet streaming service provides an unimaginably huge music collection at your beck and call.
With radio you are dependent on the broadcaster's choices, with a streaming service you call the tunes.
It's like having a wall of CDs half a mile long to choose from.

As for the £spondoolies - I pay £10 a month for Spotify Premium and it gives me sound quality I am very happy indeed with.
I used to have a budget of £600 a year (£50 a month) to spend on CDs. It was always fully spent.
So for me it is a big saving - £480 saved a year, not to be sniffed at. And a vastly wider choice of music to listen to.

It all depends on your spending habits and your interest in musical exploration.

Pieoftheday
16-10-2016, 09:46
Ha!

I think you miss the point, sir.
An internet streaming service provides an unimaginably huge music collection at your beck and call.
With radio you are dependent on the broadcaster's choices, with a streaming service you call the tunes.
It's like having a wall of CDs half a mile long to choose from.

As for the £spondoolies - I pay £10 a month for Spotify Premium and it gives me sound quality I am very happy indeed with.
I used to have a budget of £600 a year (£50 a month) to spend on CDs. It was always fully spent.
So for me it is a big saving - £480 saved a year, not to be sniffed at. And a vastly wider choice of music to listen to.

It all depends on your spending habits and your interest in musical exploration.

It's still 'fancy' radio' to me,i don't doubt the sound quality,and if people like it that's great but if I'm paying for my music I like to have a physical copy. Oddly though I don't feel the same about movies:scratch:

struth
16-10-2016, 09:54
I take it if you stop paying your monthlys then your left with nothing though?

walpurgis
16-10-2016, 09:54
Signing up for a choice of probably millions of music options that would largely be dross or stuff I'd not like, wouldn't work for me.

SLS
16-10-2016, 18:54
Source electronics are so good and so cheap these days they are almost disposable, so I don't know why anyone buys second hand. On a budget, I would look no further than Richer Sounds or a reliable UK-based company like IAG. My son had a TEAC amp from Richer fail and they got it repaired no problems at all.

TEAC, Onkyo and Yamaha mass produce high quality electronics with maximum economies of scale and hardly make any profit, so the consumer can't really lose.

Personally, I stream 80% of my music from Qobuz, I shudder what it would cost me to buy all the new recordings I listen to. I buy the occasional download, heavily discounted via Qobuz Sublime. My wife also uses Qobuz via Sonos, my kids are both on Spotify.

I would go for a good DSD DAC, transport (if you have a CD collection) and Aries Mini.

DAC/pre: TEAC UD-503 (£700) or Audiolab MDAC+ (£800) - I have the latter
Aries Mini: £375
Transport: Spoilt for choice under £200, try the Marantz CD5005 or the Tascam CD200, both of which have coax and optical outputs. I used the latter, until I stopped playing CDs completely.

Rip your CD collection with dbpoweramp, put on a USB hard drive and put into the Aries, then no need for a transport at all.

So £1,400 including cables and £20 per month for more music you can listen to in 100 lifetimes.

SLS
16-10-2016, 19:07
Signing up for a choice of probably millions of music options that would largely be dross or stuff I'd not like, wouldn't work for me.

With classical, which is most of my listening, I have mostly chosen based on reviews in Gramophone. This has never changed.

Until 1983 I bought LPs. From 1983 to 2011 I bought CDs and played them. From 2011 to 2014 I bought CDs and ripped them, or bought downloads, then streamed them. Since 2014 I have streamed almost entirely from Qobuz. They have 95% of what I choose to listen to. Some labels do not subscribe, like Hyperion, and I will buy a download. I also review the Qobuz new releases and listen to many of them after reading the reviews.

There may be dross on Qobuz, but there was dross in record stores and CD stores. Qobuz allows me to broaden my horizons, especially jazz and country. I read reviews online first, don't waste time listening to stuff randomly.

Streaming is the gift that keeps on giving, I just hope they stay in business.

stabdis7
23-10-2016, 14:06
Thak you all for your help.I was very busy and couldn't check my mail.
Ok it was to options roksan caspian m2 cd or "Naim dac"
Naim was a bit out of my budget.
I decided to buy caspian m2 cd.

stabdis7
23-10-2016, 14:23
And later to get a good dac.I never like to pay full price for anything.so im hunting for exdemo or second hand gear.im looking to build good balance system so all components should be in the 2500£ range then new.
In the moment caspian m2 amp+cd player. Next step a dac.
I was advised to look metrum dacs but very hard to find a good deal on them.
Any other options ?
Thank you all.

Pieoftheday
23-10-2016, 14:24
Thak you all for your help.I was very busy and couldn't check my mail.
Ok it was to options roksan caspian m2 cd or "Naim dac"
Naim was a bit out of my budget.
I decided to buy caspian m2 cd.

Do you like it?

stabdis7
23-10-2016, 14:25
In the moment I have caspian m2 amp+cd player. AVs speakers

stabdis7
23-10-2016, 14:35
I was started a new thread that im was looking for caspian m1 cd player.
Idea was to use cheaper cd player and get much expensive dac.

Pieoftheday
23-10-2016, 16:48
I was started a new thread that im was looking for caspian m1 cd player.
Idea was to use cheaper cd player and get much expensive dac.

.are you happy with your new
CDP?

stabdis7
24-10-2016, 04:46
Actually it's should come this week.I think on Thursday I will write some comments later.
Thanks.

stabdis7
31-10-2016, 15:42
I have caspian m2 cd player now.im happy with cd player.im thinking to upgrade power cables any ideas or its worth to do it ?
Im so curious to try unison research s6 amplifier...

struth
31-10-2016, 16:04
You might well find a regenerator of use. Ive found it to make a huge difference in my system. Can be had at modest sums comparatively to price of some things.. they can come expensive too. I bought mine second hand and is a power inspired

Macca
31-10-2016, 21:03
Re power cables: buy a used one cheap and see if you can tell any difference with that before you spend any serious money in that regard.

smithie
11-11-2016, 19:17
hi
for a dac,i can highly recommend one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TEAC-UD501-UD-501-CONVERTER-DAC-USB-OPT-COAX-DUAL-MONOAURAL-SILVER-/311564436200?hash=item488ab002e8:g:-usAAOxy86RSYW48

had one for about 3weeks now ,brought from this seller....very quick trouble free delv.....and one hell of a good dac,and ive heard plenty.
have no vested interest in the seller or connection....just a good experience from buying through them:)

regards
smithie

walpurgis
11-11-2016, 19:32
hi
for a dac,i can highly recommend one of these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TEAC-UD501-UD-501-CONVERTER-DAC-USB-OPT-COAX-DUAL-MONOAURAL-SILVER-/311564436200?hash=item488ab002e8:g:-usAAOxy86RSYW48

had one for about 3weeks now ,brought from this seller....very quick trouble free delv.....and one hell of a good dac,and ive heard plenty.
have no vested interest in the seller or connection....just a good experience from buying through them:)

regards
smithie

Teac tend to be pretty good and know what they are doing with digital.

At first, I thought it looked a bit pricey, then realised I'd paid nearly that much for my DAC second hand! :D

smithie
11-11-2016, 21:00
it could seem quite pricey i guess
but it has some decent useful features that i like and is good for a hub for all my various digital bits and pieces,its also quite future proof as far as these things can be,plus it has filters that you can actually hear make a difference:),very well built to,as for sound...love it....worth getting dual mono dacs for the seperation and soundstage magic it brings to the party:cool:
regards
smithie

stabdis7
21-11-2016, 12:48
Thanks for advising guys.

stabdis7
21-11-2016, 12:50
I was looking in the range off 1k for second hand. or 2k for new