PDA

View Full Version : RIP Neil Burnett Albarry Music

trio leo
12-10-2016, 14:06
It feels unreal to be posting this, many of you may own or have owned in the past or maybe heard at HiFi shows the beautifully entertaining music from Albarry amplifiers.
It is with deep regret I convey that Designer Engineer Neil Burnett passed away this morning after a very brief illness aged 68.

Neil and I were close friends for over 35 years, back to the days of the first "pork pie" Albarry M408's, through the HiFi haydays of the 80's and 90's and the relaunch of Albarry in 2010.
He was always keen on having the music sound as the artists/musicians intended, with passion!, he was an accomplished musician himself, on piano and guitar and used his encyclopaedic knowledge of electronics and mathematics as a University Lecturer.

As for the future of Albarry I don't know yet, it will be down to his family. I will post as I know more.

Alan

CornishPasty
12-10-2016, 14:18
That's very sad news Alan. My condolences to Neil's family and yourself.

struth
12-10-2016, 14:32
Never knew much about him but liked Alberry amps. Sound and look great. I hope his family either keep it going or sell it to someone with similar principles.

topoxforddoc
12-10-2016, 14:40
Alan,

That is indeed very sad news. Please pass on my condolences to his family and friends.

Charlie

hifi_dave
12-10-2016, 14:56
God bless Neil.

One of the few good guys in this business. He will be missed.

Reffc
12-10-2016, 16:00
Hi Alan

That's tragic news and I'm so sorry to hear that. I liked Neil a lot and very much enjoyed the meetings that I had with you and Neil, especially our day of music here and our outing to the NAS. Neil was a genuinely talented audio engineer, a very generous man and great company. He'll be very sorely missed by all who knew him. My sincere condolences to his family.

Floyddroid
12-10-2016, 16:03
Very sad indeed. He leaves behind him a great legacy. I loved my Albarry amps.

Marco
12-10-2016, 16:35
Neil was a genuinely talented audio engineer, a very generous man and great company. He'll be very sorely missed by all who knew him. My sincere condolences to his family.

+1. I never knew Neil, but it's always sad hearing of news like this. All the Albarry products I've heard, I've enjoyed, so hopefully the family will keep the company alive for others to enjoy the unique musicality of its designs.

Marco.

Arkless Electronics
12-10-2016, 16:40
I also never knew (or met) Neil but I well remember his products being on the UK scene for several years and even worked on a few. RIP.

southall-1998
12-10-2016, 16:45
Sad news indeed. I still feel slightly ashamed, for still not hearing his amplification.

RIP.

S.

JohnJo
12-10-2016, 18:11
Yes, terribly sad and a shock. Got to hear Albarry amps for the first time last night and they were superb - as Steve said what a great legacy to leave behind you. Thoughts and prayers for the family.

Dauntless
12-10-2016, 20:13
I never met Neil myself but heard the original Albarry mono's at Bespoke Audio in the early 80's. Albert Henshaw was stocking some of the best gear available at that time and the Albarry mono's were one of his top lines. Sadly they were out of my price range at the time.

The Black Adder
12-10-2016, 20:31
Sad news.... RIP, Neil.

I've heard the Abarry mono's and they are superb... Sad news.

trio leo
13-10-2016, 00:17
Thank you for your lovely thoughts chaps, I remember the days of Bespoke Audio Stockport, our reference system back then was a Trio L07D direct drive t/table, EMT cartridge hand built by Mr Van den Hul, Trio L07C pre amp, Trio Lo5m Monoblocs and Allison 1 speakers, we thought that was the best available in 1977. one day we had lunch in the local pub, Neil drew a schematic on a beer mat and said that will beat the Lo5's.

So Albert said " ok build it" and so he did, named after Albert and Barry, Albarry amplifiers were born, as they say, the rest is history, but it's been an absolute pleasure for me to have been involved since the beginning, music is so visceral and infectious and that tangeable experience is all that Neil wanted to portray in his work, I feel he achieved his goal and brought musical excitement to many enthusiasts.

hopefully his legacy may continue.

cheers Alan

Spectral Morn
13-10-2016, 05:46
It is always sad when any human passes, leaving loved ones, friends and family behind to mourn. I have a vague recollection of Albarry from the late 80s, the products distinctive look, but alas I don't recall the sonic signature. However many know the products well and many have had their lives enriched and touched by them and will for many years to come. Few of us will ever have that effect on are fellow man/ women and that is a heck of a legacy to leave and as long as there are Albarry products making music a part of Neil will go on.

My deepest condolences to his family, friends and you Alan, difficult days ahead.

God Bless.

Audio Al
13-10-2016, 07:58
Oh Dear this is sad news , I met Neil several times at the WW shows , Lovely man always had time for a chat re the Albarry product range , I also sent several email that were promptly answered , When I phoned Neil to ask if I could use my Albarry mono block amps with my electrostatics he's said you can but you will need 2 species leads followed by give me your address and I will send you a pair , I asked how much and was told " No charge " How many dealers do this ? . I did feel very sorry for Neil when he had to stop trading due to a misleading deal he was offered by a big hifi dealer I cost Neil big time , but I won't go into details , Neil Sir you were a true gent
Rest well

I am going to connect up my Albarry Pre and Power amps today in memory of Neil :)

Neil McCauley
13-10-2016, 07:59
An Albarry valve amp perhaps?

A brief interview with this late, great designer. http://www.hifianswers.com/2016/08/albarry-musics-main-man-mr-neil-burnett-in-conversation-an-albarry-valve-amp-perhaps/

julesd68
13-10-2016, 17:44
I think I was about 16 when I was lucky enough to get a full set of Albarry amps - psu, pre and monos ...
I got them from a superb dealer in Manchester - wish I could remember the name ...

Utterly superb amps which kept me very happy for many years.

loosend
30-10-2016, 18:23
Just saw this on Google, terrible terrible news.
I last spoke with Neil earlier this year when he revitalised an older mark 1 integrated for me inside and out and charged me pitence for the work. Such a lovely guy, always had a nice calming aura about him.
My thoughts are with his family.
God bless.

eradikal
26-03-2018, 10:08
Hi,
Albarry music have defined my desired sound . For years, prior to the revive, i searched for info regarding albarry and it was a myth for me. My 1008M mk2 where nothing but miracle..
I had few phone talks with neil, charming relaxed guy( like his sound signature) , tried to find dealer for him here in Israel...wow..i am schoked..😖

Firebottle
26-03-2018, 10:29
Tragic news and no real age at all. R.I.P.

Audio Al
26-03-2018, 11:50
18 months ago already :eek:

hifi_dave
26-03-2018, 13:35
Tell me about it - time flashes by.

I've had more Albarry enquiries since Neil died than I did when he was alive..:doh:

DSJR
17-06-2018, 12:22
The site's still up but has production now ceased forever?

I'd have thought Neil would have kept his design drawings safe and if these were to be used for production units again, I'd hope they'd not be made for milking them for maximum profit...

hifi_dave
18-06-2018, 08:55
As each and every one of the Albarry products was built by Neil, there is no one to carry on. I believe that his Wife had attempted to sell the name to an Italian company.