PDA

View Full Version : Whest PS.30R Just Arrived

MartinT
03-12-2009, 21:41
Today I received a Whest PS.30R phono preamp to replace my disappointing PS Audio GCPH modified by Underwood. Thanks to Dave C for coming to my rescue and giving me a nice AoS discount.

Some background info: I have a modified Technics SL-1210 with TimeStep PSU, Jelco SA-250ST arm and Audio Technica AT33PTG cartridge. I had bought the GCPH blind on the basis of good reviews and it sporting the required XLR connectors (my system is all balanced). While the GCPH certainly lived up to expectations with its sound, I could never rid it of an underlying hum no matter how I positioned and cabled it. Ultimately it spoiled listening sessions at my preferred volume setting.

My first impressions are what a very large box for a phono preamp. I can honestly say I've not seen a larger one. I could just about stand the SL-1210 on it! Connecting up was straightforward (it too has XLR outputs) and I let it warm up for an hour. I set the Whest for 60dB gain and 470R load to suit the AT. Since it's brand new and needs a thorough warm through and a little running-in (Whest recommends 6-12 hours), these are first impressions only.

Playing some familiar music, both LP and 12" singles, I am immediately presented with a very wide soundstage and crystal (and I mean crystal) clarity. Its transparency is another order of magnitude over the GCPH. Surface noise is suppressed to a level I've not experienced before, making even noisy LPs enjoyable since the ticks are mostly 'underneath' the music. Inherent noise and hum are virtually non-existent. Extreme bass is all there but just a touch light and this is where I expect it to fill out as it burns in. Soundstaging and depth are all very much in line with the AT's abilities and the whole sounds remarkably neutral - far more CD-like in my system than some may be comfortable with. Micro and macro dynamics already sound superb with lots of tinkly detail I've not noticed before.

A very impressive first listen and I'm cutting this review short now to get back to it and to give it a better chance to give of its best before writing more.

Dave Cawley
03-12-2009, 23:12
Martin, I told you so!! There: I feel much better now!

The same AoS discount is avaible to others.

:sofa:

Regards

Dave

MartinT
04-12-2009, 06:52
You remain a fountain of knowledge, Dave. I thank you.

chris@panteg
06-12-2009, 23:45
Very impressive martin

The Mike New bearing is next ' you must be very excited by the sound of thing's and at the heart of it all is this little ' DJ deck that Mr Dave c is doing wondrous thing's to.

Is the whest redressing the inbalance do you think.

MartinT
07-12-2009, 05:55
The Whest is definitely doing it for me, Chris.

The funny thing is that the Techie has different significance for me: rather than think of it as a DJ deck, it harks back to when I was 11 or 12 and my Dad's copy of Scientific American came with a brochure for these wondrous looking turntables from Technics (whom I'd never heard of). I think they were the SL-10 and 110? I remember lusting over them and thinking 'one day'.

Now I feel I held to that promise to myself. The SL-1210 is anything but a DJ deck to me: it's an item of engineering brilliance.

REM
07-12-2009, 09:59
The Technics SL and SP series of T/T's are IMO every bit as deserving of iconic status as any other. In many ways they are more deserving than most, it could be argued that without the adoption of the 12xx by the dj fraternity and their continued use of vinyl not just for replay but as a creative art form, per se, then the good old LP would have been condemned to the dustbin of history years ago.
How many other so called 'icons' would stand a chance of being recognised by the disinterested public at large, a Transcriptor t/t maybe after being featured in that Kubrick movie, a vintage Tannoy speaker perhaps but that would be about it.
The Technics t/t's can trace their lineage back for an unbroken 40 years, those who scoff or pour scorn are simply displaying their ignorance of the history of hi-fi and milestones in the technological and cultural development of audio.

So there:ner:

MartinT
07-12-2009, 10:12
Ralph - you said it better than me.

The Transcriptors was in A Clockwork Orange. What were the reel-to-reel tape decks in The Conversation? Studer?

Marco
07-12-2009, 10:50
Hi Martin,

Now I feel I held to that promise to myself. The SL-1210 is anything but a DJ deck to me: it's an item of engineering brilliance.

Hear, hear! :clap:

And I say that not as a 'fanboy', but because that's *precisely* what it is.

I'm glad that the Whest is hitting the spot for you - it's a super phono stage. I look froward to hearing it (and your whole system) when I come down :)

Ralph,

Sheer quality again, my man! :youtheman:

Marco.

selfaddict
07-12-2009, 20:13
Hello Martin.

Nice to hear that you like your new phono stage. Yours have been on my list of "top picks" for a while now with Ayre and BAT.

There are not many fully balanced phono stages available at the moment. I can only think four on the top of my head.

I am also very interested hearing your impressions in the future about the phono stage's performance.

MartinT
07-12-2009, 22:42
Now that some tens of hours have been put on the Whest, I'm forming a better impression of its performance. It's like listening to widescreen - the image extends significantly beyond the boundary of the speakers yet retains wonderful focus. The presentation is clean and completely non-euphonic or warm; just natural which is how I want it (and which tonally matches CD in my system).

Surface noise suppression remains astonishingly good desite it having a very extended treble response. Indeed, the 'tinkly bits' are quite vivid. Overall, the sound can be, with a good recording, you-are-there in its palpability and realism. I am rediscovering LPs from my collection which I haven't played for years and which all have something to give even if they are not the best of recordings. So the Whest is at once forgiving and startling in its transparency. I don't know how it does that but it earns my respect.

chris@panteg
08-12-2009, 11:48
Martin i know you love classical music ' i was just wondering do you have any Mercury Living Presence recording's especially one's engineered by Wilma cozart fine.

If not i can 't recommend these highly enough ' they will literally blow your socks off ,
i am hoping to come along to Scalford next year 'and if i do i will bring a couple .

MartinT
08-12-2009, 18:22
I don't have any MLPs on LP, only CD. I do have a preference for CD when listening to classical music and have a much larger CD collection. I prefer rock for LPs, it seems to suit the medium better. However, I shall now keep a look-out for MLPs on LP.