PDA

View Full Version : Thorens TD147 'Jubilee' PC board Q?

tlscapital
11-10-2016, 18:27
To finalize my tweaks on my phono set-up, I wanted to spend the last $ in there with the most expensive bit that would grace all the ones I've done so far to great satisfaction.

So I'm considering a 'Eagle' & 'Roadrunner' PSU & tachometer addition and have it all figured out or about. My Thorens turntable was fitted with an SME when I bought it and it's still there. Only better after all the conversions I've done on it.

The original TP16 arm lift mechanism was dismantle and sold on by me as it was still in working order and it would finance more tweaks to come. When I'll have acquired the Phoenix Engr. combo, I will dismantle the on/off & 33/45rpm switch mechanism and sell it on also.

I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I dismantle the PC board and sell it on, should I provide the motor with any caps or resistors ? I understand that this "complex" PC board aim was to provide the auto shut-off of both the sound and motor.

But is there any capacitor and/or resistor that should help the motor to run "smoothly" or what ? Or can I connect the motor directly to the "juice" socket as here below ?

Here's an old pic of mine with the PC board;

Audioflyer
12-10-2016, 18:12
I was wondering if anyone could tell me if I dismantle the PC board and sell it on, should I provide the motor with any caps or resistors ? I understand that this "complex" PC board aim was to provide the auto shut-off of both the sound and motor.

Here's an old pic of mine with the PC board;

Your version of the TD147 has a 10 volt AC synchronous motor fitted and need the PCB to control the speed.

This was the best motor option fitted to TD147.

But is there any capacitor and/or resistor that should help the motor to run "smoothly" or what ? Or can I connect the motor directly to the "juice" socket as here below ?

!1! WARNING DO NOT ATTACH ANY AC MAINS (230V) TO YOUR MOTOR !!!

Sharif.

tlscapital
13-10-2016, 09:09
Your version of the TD147 has a 10 volt AC synchronous motor fitted and need the PCB to control the speed.

This was the best motor option fitted to TD147

Sharif.

Ahah ! Thanks for that Sharif ! So I'll leave the PC board where it is. To be on the safe side of things. I bought this Thorens believing (I knew nothing about them then) it was a TD160 'Super' as it looked like one. It was/is still fitted with an SME3009 'Improved' (now converted into heavier mass) tonearm and had a 160 'Super' top-plate, to understand much later with my curious "tweak journey" that it was not a 160 'Super'... Still it's wall power supply (not an original Thorens branded one) that came with it says 18 volts AC/DC (!?) and it's working great ! While all along I believed my motor was just a "classical" 16VAC...

tlscapital
21-10-2016, 13:40

This was the best motor option fitted to TD147.

Sharif.

Hi Sharif, now I've read that someone tried to plug his Pro-Jekt 'Speed Box' to his Thorens TD320 and the outcome was dreadful. Power, speed and sound loss. Someone explained him that it was normal since it has a synthesised AC generator built in, as do the TD280, 318,320 and 321 - so they effectively have a speedbox-type device already inside. Thorens decks which directly feed an AC motor off a simple step down like the 150 and 160 would potentially work with a 'Speed Box' AFAIK. Would you know if it would also be the case with my Thorens TD147 'Jubilee' as it is with his TD320 if I plug such a device on it ? Like an 'Eagle' PSU from Phoenix Eng...

Audioflyer
22-10-2016, 08:11
Hi Sharif, now I've read that someone tried to plug his Pro-Jekt 'Speed Box' to his Thorens TD320 and the outcome was dreadful. Power, speed and sound loss. Someone explained him that it was normal since it has a synthesised AC generator built in, as do the TD280, 318,320 and 321 - so they effectively have a speedbox-type device already inside. Thorens decks which directly feed an AC motor off a simple step down like the 150 and 160 would potentially work with a 'Speed Box' AFAIK. Would you know if it would also be the case with my Thorens TD147 'Jubilee' as it is with his TD320 if I plug such a device on it ? Like an 'Eagle' PSU from Phoenix Eng...

I've not see or used a 'Pro-Jekt 'Speed Box' but it look like it may work I've attached a link to a post on vinylengine as somebody has tried it.

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=40935

Sharif.

tlscapital
22-10-2016, 12:04
I've not see or used a 'Pro-Jekt 'Speed Box' but it look like it may work I've attached a link to a post on vinylengine as somebody has tried it.

http://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=40935

Sharif.

Once again, thanks for that Sharif, but these are referring to the TD's 150, 160 and 166. Yesterday, I suddenly got a bad gut feeling after reading that the TD320 had an incompatibility issue with a 'Speed Box' so that my 147 'Jubilee' may also face the same incompatibility. And as you pointed out that the 147 'Jubilee' has a very specific motor and circuit to run it, it's better to leave that combo as such. Apparently Thorens from then on manufactured their turntables with PC board to meet the public demand for quieter and auto mechanized functionalities. As the TD2XX's and TD3XX's who also have a PSU on their PC board, maybe my 147 'Jubilee' has the same in it's primitive form... and if it's the case, that is a -no go- zone for an external PSU. I even had confirmation from the manufacturer at Phoenix Eng. (PSU & tachometer) that the compatibility with an external PSU is only for the belt driven AC powered turntables that have no PSU control in them.

Honestly I'm happy with how my phono runs and play by now. I was just expecting to improve 2 things; first if the belt loses some, I could then just pitch some before replacing it right away. Second, I was curious to hear the bass tighten some more as I already had some improvement with my OL belt. I can do 45's home session for hours, quality of the sound is no luxury but a necessity IMO. Just like good 'nature' wine don't give you the headache, good sound works the same.

Now, I'll wait some more to know for sure if my TD147 'Jubilee' has a PSU on it's PC board or not to either buy or not that PSU & tachometer.