PDA

View Full Version : Hi from Sunny Glasgow

Psion770
03-12-2009, 16:32
Hallo from Glasgow my name is Martyn and I’ve been a Hi FI and music enthusiast for the last 43 years having moved from a large town house to a single bedroomed flat near the centre of Glasgow – my current Hi Fi Toshiba Satellite Pro – Caiman DAC - (which I believe is the best value for money piece of equipment I have ever bought bar none), Bose Quiet Comfort 2 Headphones, Shure 530 Headphones and an IPod Classic.

Previous Hi Fi Path Rotel RP 1500, Rotel AMP, Tuner, Wharfdale speakers,
Rega Planar 3, Denon 103 modified, Meridian 101 pre Amp, 105b’s Mission 770’s – move to small cottage Meridian’s went along with the 770’s for Meridian M2’s . Logic DM101 I was a Luddite much modified with a Mission 774 Arm modified Asaka – Tri Amped 105’s into lovely SD 1hybrids , dedicated power supply from ring main, external earth – Nirvana – reluctantly dragged to digital Merdian 206B – upgraded to Mission 500 transport and 565 DAC homemade cabling… life style changes traveling job, divorce, all my old kit including some old Revox valve Tape Recorders and my trusty Sony TCK I think Reel to Reel which needs sorting any suggestions mechanical problem I think all the above is now in storage as I live in a single bedroomed flat near the centre of Glasgow…

The Caiman – most of my CD’s are on my Ipod a serious back injury had left me bed ridden and house bound despite the Shures which kept me sane listening to music during my stay in hospital I started to read the glossies but had heard about this Beresford Chappie and a mythical Caiman read the reviews of the DAC magic I have a colleague that had one – but further research on American web sites this Caiman kept popping up - the devil finds work for idle hands took the plunge and ordered a Caiman to listen to music via my laptop – and was blown away when it arrived even the Appleloss less files were a revelation the sheer scale of the detail I was hearing through my cans was unbelievable \i started to enjoy my music again now the uit has burnt in I’m still impressed and have a wish list as long as your arm for CD’s for Xmas. The next stage Quad 9 Actives a Wadia doc why the Quads? size and space limitations and keeping the wife happy who thinks I’m barking resurrect the Logic so advice on an analogue to digital recorder to digitize my tapes and vinyl buy a decent server unit and re record my music in lossless format … my sail into retirement cant come soon enough and forum to share and discuss my addiction with like minded sufferers … suddenly having a back injury and an enforced sabbatical have taken a decided turn for the better …..

Rare Bird
03-12-2009, 17:39
Hi Mart yn ;)

Welcome. The old Logic 'DM101' & Mission '770' (White baffle boards) were two of my fav items..

Psion770
03-12-2009, 19:09
Hi Andre being the first forum I've ever been on it's actually not that difficult hence the user name Psion 770 - Psion my first PDA device and the Missions ,my life would never be the same..... the logic much modded is still a stunning peice - M

Alex_UK
03-12-2009, 22:55
Welcome Martyn, and great to have you join us. I've still got my 3a in a cupboard somewhere - god I loved that hand-held - felt very much like being a pioneer, whereas Blackeberries and XDA's are common as muck these days!

Sorry to hear of your misfortune, but good to see that you can find a silver lining to the cloud - but then you really do need some help if you think this lot is a silver lining! (Only joking, they're great really!) Have fun!

Gazjam
04-12-2009, 11:58
Hi Martyn, welcome aboard!

Im from Glasgow (well near glasgow!) too, small world.
:)

See you like the Caiman?
I've owned a few of Stan B's Dacs and they are great.
Currently I've a 7520 which has been modded by upgrading the Opamps and the Dac chip to be the same as the Caiman, so I agree with you regarding the sound quality.

Enjoy the forum, lots of good advice, banter and laughs.

Just the dab for someone on a forced sabattical!

Psion770
08-12-2009, 16:32
A man after my own heart a tinkerer I've used welding cable unsightly but reasonable results ... Psion770

hifinutt
08-12-2009, 19:47
really sorry to hear about the back injury but great you can be on here