PDA

View Full Version : Vibro-Stop Platter Mat Snake oil or genuine

Paul-H
01-10-2016, 08:27
Hi all

Just succumbed to all the hype on their ebay page, ( I know, I know) and bought one of these Vibro-Stop Platter Mat http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262327113799

Now its arrived I am not so sure, all it appears to be is a hard black plastic disk, that is an unbelievable dust magnet.

Anyone used one, whats your thoughts, snake oil or real improvements, if you use one is it supposed to replace the existing mat or sit on top or even under it, no instructions supplied.

If you use one how do you get over its dust grabbing abilities.

Thanks

Paul

killie99
01-10-2016, 09:10
I've thought of buying one of these many times for my TD125 and have so far resisted. Interesting to hear what you have to say about it.

Paul-H
01-10-2016, 11:13
I think I will get better results just hanging it above the turntable so it attracts all airborne dust before it settles on the playing record :eyebrows:

Its about all its good for.

Macca
01-10-2016, 12:03
It looks superficially similar to the Funk Firm Achromat, except that is not glossy, they are both hard slabs of plastic.

I thought the Achromat to be a good upgrade on my Technics, it is quite a bit more expensive than this one too.

You should use it on top of the platter, not with any other mats, sit the record straight on top of it. Avoid dust accumulation by using the TT lid when no in use. If no TT lid put a sacrificial LP on top when not in use.

Some times these things are just different rather than better, but you might prefer the difference. Worth trying it now you've got it, surely?

Stratmangler
01-10-2016, 12:27
As Martin has said, it's intended to be used instead of your mat.
It's supposed to provide a better record interface than a felt or rubber mat would - it should help in sinking unwanted vibrational energy away from the stylus.
In that respect it's not dissimilar to having an acrylic platter.

If it attracts dust then it could be our old friend static electricity at work.
You could try one of these between the platter and the Vibro-Stop platter mat http://www.tesco.com/groceries/product/details/?id=253987588

CageyH
01-10-2016, 12:44
I see your problem.
You are only using one, and not two as suggested in the advert. :eek:
If it does not work, send it back as it does not work in accordance with the claims on eBay.

Stratmangler
01-10-2016, 13:04
You are only using one, and not two as suggested in the advert. :eek:

Where does it say that then?

If it does not work, send it back as it does not work in accordance with the claims on eBay.

Absolutely!

SquireC
01-10-2016, 13:13
If you want a vibration stopping mat, you'll need to try one of these.(Used to be Isoplat)

http://www.soundeck.co.uk/about

I use one and it does what it says on the tin.

CageyH
01-10-2016, 13:20
Double VIBRO-STOP Platter Mats

It said double mat, I assumed that meant two, when in fact they mean double thickness.

Paul-H
01-10-2016, 13:36
I will give it a go then.

One thing does trouble me and its not its abilities to act as a dust magnet, its because both sides are super smooth and glossy, whats to stop it spinning away under the record, at least with a standard mat there is enough friction for the LP to be held in place, I can see this giving speed consistency issues as the LP slips on it, especially at startup, if not during play.

Will post back once I have built up the courage to try it.

Paul

Stratmangler
01-10-2016, 13:49
whats to stop it spinning away under the record

Does a TD160 have enough start up torque to do that?

Paul-H
01-10-2016, 15:37
It was just a thought

danilo
01-10-2016, 15:47
In mid 80's ? I bought a Thick heavy rubbery Plastic mat for my Thorens.
It was Widely touted at the time.. as Good.
Thing was /is ( still have it somewhere) Very sticky when washed / clean.
Also Very heavy ! ~1 lb. Enough so that it squashed the pore Thorens' springs... worryingly.
Start up wasn't any issue I noticed though.
And the Mat would look like sand paper betwixt mandatory washings due it's it sticky tape like surface
Put up with the thing for a Month or so.
Then put back on the original Thorens rubber mat.
I've no desire to try revisit it either.
YMMV however.