PDA

View Full Version : My short introduction

j.postema
29-09-2016, 13:02
Hello,

let me introduce myself: I'm a 35 year old male from the Netherlands with an interest in (DIY) audio. I recently built my own electrostatic loudspeakers and currently I'm in the process of building another, bigger pair of electrostats.

I just bought a cheap second hand turntable which I want to repair, just for fun. I try to spend not too much money and still get a good sound reproduction, although I enjoy looking to "high end" products. :)

I've been interested in audio and electrostatic loudspeakers since I was 15 years old: I made a bicycle trip to Germany where I discovered a nice looking audio shop full of expensive nice looking audio products. I even listened to a pair of electrostatic loudspeakers. Years later I built my first electrostats but the sound quality and reliability was disappointing. Recently, years later, I successfully built a nice looking and good sounding pair of electrostats.

I have an interest in analog audio technology as well so that's why I bought a cheap simple turntable.

struth
29-09-2016, 13:17
Nice intro Johan. Lots of statics listeners here so sure they will be interested in your build. If you want to add photo, the gallery section is your friend. Also the drawing board etc for a step through on the build if you fancy it.

Arkless Electronics
29-09-2016, 13:38
Welcome Johan and respect to anyone building their own electrostatic speakers:eek:

walpurgis
29-09-2016, 17:50
Hi Johan. Welcome to AOS.

Tell us what music you listen to and what plans if any you may have for your Hi-Fi.

Building electrostatic or ribbon speakers is something that has appealed to me too. Did you make graphite coated mylar diaphrgms?

If you have further DIY projects, they could be featured in the Drawing Board section. We like good projects.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

j.postema
29-09-2016, 18:22
Hello everyone thanks for your friendly welcome and positive reactions about the stats :) I will upload some pictures of my stats soon and post the link in this topic.

@Geoff: I listen some classical music (Vivaldi), Celtic? Music (Loreena McKennitt), pop / folk (Of Monsters And Men), Teho Teardo & Blixa Bargeld, instrumental / new age (Jean Michel Jarre, Olafur Arnalds, Andreas Vollenweider and even some modern electronic music like "GOA trance". Sometimes I listen to Jazz (Dave Brubeck) but it's still something that doesn't really attract me - but I try to develop my musical taste.

offtopic: I used to listen mainly (heavy) metal but it seems this just does'nt sound pleasant on the stats. And it gets boring too - maybe a sign of getting old? Especially classical music, jazz and electronic music sounds very nice on the stats. Metal & Rock seems to be more difficult. (most of the time just sounds like trash...) Is this a common thing that other stat owners recognize? Also a lot of recordings don't sound nice - I have to take more care to find good recordings with the stats.

Regards, Johan.

update: I posted pictures of my DIY stats here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?46870-My-DIY-stats&p=791973#post791973

j.postema
02-10-2016, 23:00
Hello, I forgot to answer the question what coating I used: I used a transparent (liquid) coating offered by another Dutch DIY stat builder. It works well, the membrane charges quickly so there is no need to keep bias turned on permanenty. (I don't like the idea of a dust collecting loudspeaker :) ) I don't know how long it will last, but I think it will be reliable.

j.postema
03-10-2016, 09:23
I looked for a replacement stylus and found this one:

http://www.pickupnaalden.com/grammofoonnaalden.asp?M=Shure_M-55-E_Geel_5448

The brand is Tonar what seems to be a Ducht company that re-brands different styli. Would this be a good quality stylus? I've also read about stylus shape, some people are in the opinion that a elliptical stylus wil ruin the records so you need a conical stylus. I would think this is not true but are there differences between the two shapes? And how would this cartridge and stylus compare to an more expensive one like a Ortofon 2M Red?

walpurgis
03-10-2016, 09:36
some people are in the opinion that a elliptical stylus wil ruin the records so you need a conical stylus

That is misinformed nonsense Johan. Elliptical styli typically track at lower downforces than conicals anyway. Elliptical styli have been in use for fifty years with no horror stories about record wear. I dare say ANY stylus can damage records if misused.

struth
03-10-2016, 09:38
The originals are eliptical, thus the e at the end of m55e. Eliptical stylii will not damage records if, like all stylii, are in good condition and set up correctly. Tonar make record cleaning brushes too( i use one myself and its good) ed saunders make replacements too, as do jico. Best are originals, although getting thin on ground, they still appear. The shibata versions are expensive but good.

j.postema
03-10-2016, 11:16
Hello, thanks for your advice. I managed to find an original stylus ("Shure N-55E 1040OR original elliptical stylus") but it is almost 3 times as expensive (90 dollars) compared to the Tonar (30 dollar). Would the expensive stylus deliver much improvement in quality?

edit: I mistakenly put my turntable questions in the wrong topic, I should have posted them here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?46896-old-Pioneer-112D-turntable. My apologies for the confusion!

struth
03-10-2016, 11:25
I use a nos original and its really good. I woulf think its better although $90 is a bit steep. You can get a cart with one for that, well nearly. Im in market for a nos myself but not at that price. Maybe try the tonar and see..its pretty cheap so little to loose

walpurgis
03-10-2016, 11:28
I've bought from Mantra Audio in the past and they have been helpful and sold me good quality items. I'm sure they'd ship to you.

They stock a replacement M55E stylus. I don't know who the maker is though, but the price is fair. Why not have a chat with them?

https://shop.mantra-audio.co.uk/acatalog/Shure-N55E-Stylus-Ref-435E-MA0397.html

j.postema
04-10-2016, 23:39
@walpurgis: thanks for the link, I will ask them.