PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Australia

Tamadrums
29-09-2016, 12:14
Hi all,

Just here to say hi and introduce myself - a music lover, a drummer and sound enthusiast (HiFi & live sound).
Been playing drums 10+ years, bands etc and also racked up many hours on the soundboards over the years.....and yes being a drummer my favorite boost on the strip is 63Hz haha.

HiFi gear is quite modest really, a pair of Quad 11L classic's, powered by a Denon Ceol Piccolo receiver,(Denon speakers that came with it are collecting dust at the moment).
I quite like the sound of the Quad 11L's, a decent compromise between colored tone & reference monitor.
Also have a Yammie active sub when I need more bass.

Enjoy all types of music, especially blues/rock/anything Jeff Porcaro.

Currently working on my own DIY Hi-Fi project which I am excited about and also keen to hear what other people are doing with their setups too.

Cheers,
Dan

struth
29-09-2016, 12:32
Hi Dan. Welcome aboard. Hope you enjoy. Not heard the 11l myself, but had the floorstanding version, which i seem to recall were 21l. They were nice in piano black too

Tamadrums
29-09-2016, 12:47
Greetings Struth.

Yeah I forget the floor standing model name too, but sitting at the shop I thought the 11L's shared a similar tonality as the floor standers, but the 11L's just didn't have as 'big of a sound' etc...

struth
29-09-2016, 13:01
Yes, bigger cabs often give that effect, although not always. They are, the 11,s , probably big enough unless you have a big room

Tamadrums
29-09-2016, 13:09
Well the 11L's are in my office for working during the day, but they aren't really suitable for filling up a lounge room in my opinion.
I am currently building a pair speakers that will fix that though, 12" Celestion with a Dayton PT2C Planar Tweeter - semi-open (at the rear) cabinet !!

struth
29-09-2016, 13:14
Sounds good Dan.. ive a set of 12" rola celestion fullrange speakers in big boxes used as reflex. They sound great and can go loud with plenty drive. Only 25 watt rated but very sensitive.

Tamadrums
29-09-2016, 13:22
Interesting, how big are the boxes? My design is about 950 H x 500 W x 350 D.

I'm using the Celestion Seventy 80 guitar speakers as they are extremely articulate and revealing (thats why only the metal guitarists like them lol). Have already tuned them with a DSP EQ, looking forward to putting them into a box soon.

struth
29-09-2016, 13:36
The cabs were originally Warfedale Dovedale 3. I adapted them to single driver and used the mid driver hole as a 5" reflex port. Just tuned it by ear. My latest ones are about a metre high and have twin telefunken 10" fullrange vintage drivers and a rectangular bottom side reflex port. They are outstanding.

walpurgis
29-09-2016, 17:36
Hello Daniel. Welcome to AOS.

What is your DIY project? There's the Drawing Board section if you'd like to feature it.

I'm sure you'll find plenty to interest you here.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

Barry
05-10-2016, 18:03
Welcome to AoS Daniel

Enjoy the forum
Barry