PDA

View Full Version : Thorens TD-160 Mk1 anything obvious that needs an Update/UpGrade

Paul-H
26-09-2016, 09:01
Hi all

I have a bog standard Thorens TD-160 Mk1 and was wondering if there is anything obvious with this design that could do with an update/upgrade

So starting with a bog standard out of the factory model what sould I change/modify to improve its already good sound.

I have just fitted a new belt and oiled the platter and motor bearings and replaced the ancient interconnects with some Van Damme Interconnects so not quit bog standard, but where to go next

Options I have seen on others examples have been

Changing the tonearm,

Replacing the Plinth with a solid wood option.

Replacing the plinth base with something more solid that the hardboard used.

Fitting spiked feet

Sticking cork to the underside of the metal panels.

Would any of the above provide an improvement on its already good sound.

Any other recommendations.

Or would I be better of saving the money and just buying a better turntable

Thanks for any input on this

Paul

walpurgis
26-09-2016, 09:23
All the mods you mention can certainly be done.

However, the basic turntable is a pretty good performer and the arm is quite a capable design and can cope with decent cartridges.

Of the options, I'd suggest that a more rigid and heftier plinth might be the best choice. Just spend any money left on the best cartridge you can afford that suits the arm.

struth
26-09-2016, 10:02
Cork does help underneath. A cork/rubber mat or a funk firm 3 mm will help. A decent plinth and a very thick baseboard will help. A better arm, like an sme 3009 will help and certainly look better too, but is not a need to. Anti vibration sorbothane 1mm discs to raise the outer platter from inner sub platter is a big help. Better feet a must too. I found mag levatation ones best but anything is an improvement.
Any order, so just when you can afford them and it can sound damn good.

Initially i would do baseboard, mat and anti vib discs(srm tech sell them). Plus corking underneath and feet first as they are cheap to do. See how you like it then before committing to a plinth that will cost £150 to £250 for a veneered and more for hardwood(which isnt nesessary)

Hope this helps

Paul-H
27-09-2016, 13:02
Thanks for all the help

Will look into my options, obviously going down the lower cost route first. Was thinking of the SME 3009 but over here in the UK their SH value is through the roof at the moment.

So first up

Sold base with spiked feet and 1mm rubber platter ring and better turntable mat.

Talking of the base what would be better 3/4inch ply or 2/4inch MDF, or would there be no difference.

Thanks again

Paul

Paul-H
27-09-2016, 13:08
Do SRM still do those anti vibration rings, as I can't find them on their site http://srm-tech.co.uk/ unless I am going blind. :scratch:

Paul-H
27-09-2016, 13:11
Ignore the last post, i found them, I was looking for a ring not 3 little pads.

Paul

struth
27-09-2016, 13:32
They are good for money. Glad they still do them. Also give a little more clearance on the azimuth screw at back

Arkless Electronics
28-09-2016, 11:38
Thanks for all the help

Will look into my options, obviously going down the lower cost route first. Was thinking of the SME 3009 but over here in the UK their SH value is through the roof at the moment.

So first up

Sold base with spiked feet and 1mm rubber platter ring and better turntable mat.

Talking of the base what would be better 3/4inch ply or 2/4inch MDF, or would there be no difference.

Thanks again

Paul

I would avoid the SME 3009. Awful things! Probably no better than the stock arm...
Loads of people love the things but I reckon it's for the looks and misplaced nostalgia! I got shot of both my 3009 II Improved and my 3009 Series III cos they sounded poor but were worth serious money.... I cashed them in!