PDA

View Full Version : AV V's 2 channel amps

Stiffy
24-09-2016, 18:49
I know this question will have been asked a thousand times but are the bang up to date AV amps any better with music reproduction these days?

I've got a Sony TA FB 940R QS amp and don't know if it's still relevant today or if I could kill the proverbial two birds and have an AV set up that would double up as a decent 2 x channel hifi too.

Marco
24-09-2016, 19:19
Hi John,

All I can say is that I bought one of these recently, primarily for home-cinema duties: http://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/av-receivers/str-dn1060

...and it's surprised me how good it is with music, especially in 'Pure Direct', 2-channel stereo mode, with all the cinema processing gubbins switched off. That done, it's as good as any sub-£800 dedicated hi-fi amp I've heard :)

It uses some nice components and has a pretty hefty PSU. I can happily listen to music through it for hours. Furthermore, as an AV amp it is in the top rank.

Marco.

struth
24-09-2016, 19:28
pretty good series of amps as you'd expect from sony

Marco
24-09-2016, 19:33
It's bloody good, Grant. Its inherent musicality and sonic prowess has taken by surprise :)

Marco.

Ronksley
24-09-2016, 20:11
Picked up a STR-DB795 for £30 at the beginning of the year :)

Mainly used it in Stereo great bit of kit and an amazing bargain
In direct stereo mode sounds great also when used as a DAC and the FM tuner sounds damm good
Mines a QS " UK Tuned " one
Just been listening to some Mozart Beethoven and Schubert on CD played on a DVP-S725D DVD direct analogue through the STR-DB795 and into a pair of Mordaunt-Short MS20i Pearl
The sound is just so musical and detailed
Is the main set in my front room and most used amp since I bought it I have better up in the Bedroom
I am thinking of getting a better model Sony or Denon but would want one with preouts at least 5.1