PDA

View Full Version : Hi everyone!

chiz
24-09-2016, 17:35
Hi everyone, I'm Chris.
I'm a long time music collector and occasional DJ.
In recent years I’ve started to take more of an interest in the finer points of phonograph reproduction and started reading forums like this one!
I'm not anti digital, I appreciate the convenience of it and it can sound good but records are my preferred format.
My system is not a typical hi-fi but for me it’s a mostly happy compromise between functionality, sound quality and cost.
Kit currently in use:

Analogue

2 x Technics SL-1210MK2
Audio Technica AT150MLX / AT95E / Shure M35X etc.
ARS Model 4100
Neumann KH120A
Shure SRH1540

Digital

Marantz CD-67SE
Asus Xonar Essence STX

Portable

iPhone
Etymotic hf5

Upgrades / additions I'm considering:

Tonearm rewire or new arms
Phono preamps
More carts / styli
RCM
Headphone amp

Some types of music I like some of (not limited to but including), mostly from a long time ago:

Classic Rock, Krautrock, Post-Punk, Pop, Soul, Funk, Afrobeat, Jazz-Funk, Jazz, Disco, Reggae, Dub, Hip Hop, Electro, House, Techno, Ambient, Soundtracks or any possible combination of these styles!

I’m sure I can learn a lot here and hopefully contribute something useful from my own experience.

struth
24-09-2016, 17:40
Hi and welcome Chris. Hope you enjoy the forum. Any help just ask in appropriate section.:)

walpurgis
24-09-2016, 21:12
Hi Chris. Welcome to AOS.

Loads of info on Technics turtables here. If you haven't already, Check out the Techiepedia section.

Tell us about any furthe plans or upgrades you may have in mind for your system.

Enjoy the forum,
Geoff.

chiz
28-09-2016, 01:05
Thanks for the warm welcome guys, I have already lost several hours in the Techiepedia :)

Jeff Wood
28-09-2016, 04:07
Hi mate,

I've just started the process of modding a Technics sl1210.

And yes, loads of great info on here :)

chiz
01-10-2016, 16:59
Thanks for the welcome Jeff.
I'm not currently planning on modding my Technics to the same degree as you but that could change... :)
What made you decide on a rewire vs replacing the arm? I'm currently leaning towards this but wonder if Jelcos would be worth the extra spend.