PDA

View Full Version : epos speakers

karma67
23-09-2016, 17:16
anyone rate these?
ive been looking at the es11.

Arkless Electronics
23-09-2016, 17:20
I had a set years ago and although they were good they didn't really suit me and I moved them on after a couple of months... I'm not a fan of mini monitors.
Smooth, quite dynamic and a bit "dark" sounding from memory though.

hifi_dave
23-09-2016, 17:37
Flat, lacklustre, boring and had difficulty selling them back in the day.

Others seem to think they are wonderful. The ES14 was a whole heap better.

Bourney
23-09-2016, 17:44
ES14 is a superb speaker. Open, vibrant and good fun. I guess they could be seen as a tad bright with the wrong amp up them.

walpurgis
23-09-2016, 17:49

I agree with that.

If you want something that sort of size. It might pay to spend a bit more and look at Sonus Faber and Triangle speakers.

On the other hand. For peanuts, you could get a pair of old Ruark Swordsman II speakers. They are damn good.

Arkless Electronics
23-09-2016, 18:08

They were with the wrong amp....

Yes ES14 much better.

YNWaN
23-09-2016, 20:45
I used ES14's for many years but with a lot more amplification than their price would suggest appropriate. A friend has ES11's and used at low levels (as he has been obliged to) they work very well.

hifi_dave
24-09-2016, 16:18
They were with the wrong amp....

Yes ES14 much better.

How do you know which amps we used ?

southall-1998
24-09-2016, 22:12
How do you know which amps we used ?

You never know, Dave. Jez, perhaps has some kind of 6th sense :D

S.

hifi_dave
25-09-2016, 09:40
Exactly.

Back in those days we had a large range, including Creek, A&R, Audio Research, Krell, EAR, Croft, Sugden, Rowland, Quad and others I can't even recall.

Macca
25-09-2016, 10:44
I assume what Jez is getting at is that it's not so much the make of amp but the ability of the amp to drive a low load and to drive the speakers to their optimum level without clipping.

Basic stuff that rarely gets mentioned in magazines or on forums for that matter. People mis-match amp/speaker and then decide the amp is rubbish, or the speaker is rubbish.

Although the big Epos may well have been a boring listen, I don't know since to my knowledge I've never heard any Epos speakers.

My guess is Dave knows what he is doing with matching amps to speakers ;)

Arkless Electronics
25-09-2016, 11:50
I've no idea what makes anyone think I was referring their choice of amp... hadn't even occurred to me. I tried them with just a few known very good amps... they were lacklustre. They sounded good though with a MF B1 for some reason. No not technical reasons here Martin.